finally flattened my lithium battery..... - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

finally flattened my lithium battery.....

Its been on about 20 months and never been charged but I went away for too long this time. I started it first time a couple of weeks ago no probs but I went to start it yesterday and I got a message Stop Eng battery 9.8v which I guess is the cut off point. Got to buy a charger now that won't kill it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 06:52 AM

I charge mine with the stock charger, works just fine. Just dont leave the lithium battery plugged in long term like you do the lead acid batteries. Charge it overnight once every few weeks.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

I have an optimate with the automatic desulphate thing that puts a reverse charge through before it charges. Conventional wisdom says this will kill a lithium stone dead and I'm not going to be the person who volunteers to find out. Anyway I've ordered a lithium friendly one.

I never got the original charger with the bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 07:11 AM

New Site Garage
Jono, I have to say "You are truly special mate"..........what are you thinking ?

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
I have an optimate with the automatic desulphate thing that puts a reverse charge through before it charges. Conventional wisdom says this will kill a lithium stone dead and I'm not going to be the person who volunteers to find out. Anyway I've ordered a lithium friendly one.

I never got the original charger with the bike.

Ive read to avoid chargers that have the desulphate feature.

The stock charger doesnt have that from what Ive read and experienced as my LiPo is still going strong.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
Jono, I have to say "You are truly special mate"..........what are you thinking ?

Well I'm mainly hoping you haven't chosen now to come out.

Or were you still talking about batteries? I know stuff goes off topic around here.....
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

The lithium is dead. Just wouldn't charge. Anyway I just got a regular lead acid. It's fine....

It was 18 months old. I guess I just let it sit too long although that's supposed to be one of the things they're good at.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 04:50 PM

New Site Garage
What the? You guys aren't riding enough!

Cheers, Simon

Brutale 990R LE - Number 121/500
Brutale 910R

New Zealand MV Owners Group: For more info, go to the NZMV our website
to join our mailing list & find us on Facebook.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 06:18 PM

New Site Garage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
Well I'm mainly hoping you haven't chosen now to come out.

Or were you still talking about batteries? I know stuff goes off topic around here.....
So you obviously took no notice of the various instructions which comes along with the use of a Lithium battery, or any battery for that matter, from the manufacturer and from various threads here on the forum. And to hide your ignorance/arrogance you try to figure out my sexual preferences, I doubt that you'll know the difference mate.
Besides that, it's good to have you back again.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -

Last edited by Donsy; 09-14-2016 at 09:08 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

Nope. I took great care with it and followed the destructions knowing that I could fubar it. I used a lithium-friendly charger but it just wont take a charge. There are no 'rules' about letting lithiums discharge and the time I tried it before it didn't work it started perfectly. I didn't ride it that time but let it run for a few minutes. A week or so later I tried it again and nada. I hadn't charged it or left anything on in the meanwhile.

Very reassuring to know you don't have a crush on me and I' m sure you're special too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode