Learn how to work on your own bike. - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Learn how to work on your own bike.

I know this is not unique....,as I do all my own work on my bikes., however I was in a local dealership just a couple of days ago (getting some parts for my Kawasaki ZRX 1200r project)

I happened to mention that I also had a MV Agusta Brutale 1078rr ..,and the guy on the parts department told me they had one in the workshop (a 910..he didn't say if it was an "S" or an "R")

Quite unusual as I have never seen a Brutale here other than my own.....anyway he said it was left in as it "wasn't holding the charge..?"

They had spent a little time on it (still not sorted out the problem).........however what really shocked me was when he said ......."His bill is currently sitting at over £1000 at the moment"..!!!

And it Still was not sorted..!

I can only imagine just how much the owners final bill is going to be...!!!

It got me thinking that sometimes we take for granted we can work on our own bikes and only have to be out the price of the parts...........but for those guys who don't., then the bill...,even for basic things such as an oil change must be horrendous..!

There is a wealth of information here on this forum and the people on here are only too willing to help with their vast knowledge and experience........please guys use this forum to its fullest and save yourselves a fortune.

Not only that.,but you will get to Know your motorcycle., and actually enjoy working on it..!

Brian

Last edited by BG Wells; 07-29-2016 at 01:23 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to BG Wells For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 02:04 PM

New Site Garage
If it turns out to be a new battery then they have really taken their pants down over that one!

Personally I've always enjoyed taking stuff to bits even if I had no idea if I would ever be able to put it back together. Recently changed career after nearly 30 yrs in the print industry the last 10 of which were mostly middle management and sales, hated it in the end and now I'm a white goods service engineer and back to taking stuff to bits, finding the problem and putting it back together again. Should have made the switch years ago

As for servicing my own bikes, I've mostly been in the fortunate position of being able to switch out to a new one every 3 yrs and so for sheer lack of agro should anything go wrong then I've always let the dealer service it, certainly during the warranty period. But my Stradale, should I keep it I'll be doing the basic servicing myself, as for valve clearances? Well we'll just have to see about that?

Interested in anything that Sucks, Bangs and Blows!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 07:59 PM

New Site Garage
Well said Brian.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 11:25 PM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BG Wells View Post
I know this is not unique....,as I do all my own work on my bikes., however I was in a local dealership just a couple of days ago (getting some parts for my Kawasaki ZRX 1200r project)

I happened to mention that I also had a MV Agusta Brutale 1078rr ..,and the guy on the parts department told me they had one in the workshop (a 910..he didn't say if it was an "S" or an "R")

Quite unusual as I have never seen a Brutale here other than my own.....anyway he said it was left in as it "wasn't holding the charge..?"

They had spent a little time on it (still not sorted out the problem).........however what really shocked me was when he said ......."His bill is currently sitting at over £1000 at the moment"..!!!

And it Still was not sorted..!

I can only imagine just how much the owners final bill is going to be...!!!

It got me thinking that sometimes we take for granted we can work on our own bikes and only have to be out the price of the parts...........but for those guys who don't., then the bill...,even for basic things such as an oil change must be horrendous..!

There is a wealth of information here on this forum and the people on here are only too willing to help with their vast knowledge and experience........please guys use this forum to its fullest and save yourselves a fortune.

Not only that.,but you will get to Know your motorcycle., and actually enjoy working on it..!

Brian
Also very well said Brian.Like you have mentioned if you are not sure on a procedure get on here and ask plenty of questions so you don't make a mistake.

Bike- F4 1078.
Work.Email & Paypal.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 12:28 AM

New Site Garage
I am amazed at how many people pay a dealership to change their oil.
Never in my 52 years have I payed to have oil changed in anything, save for my dry sumped, 11 gallon system in my extremely low Corvette. That is a b!tch.

I had no idea how to approach changing the oil in my new Brutale 1090, but once you lay your head down there and look around, it's pretty easy to figure out.

But yes...this forum is tremendous!

***Garage***
2018 Yamaha YZ250FX
2016 BMW S1000RR Premium
2015 MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR Corsa
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 01:46 AM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
You have to remember that some people have no mechanical knowledge whatsoever.They just put the key in,start the bike and ride.These owners totally rely on the dealership to do the right thing.Each to there own I suppose.

Bike- F4 1078.
Work.Email & Paypal.

Mobile-0423041326
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 01:59 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy View Post
You have to remember that some people have no mechanical knowledge whatsoever.They just put the key in,start the bike and ride.These owners totally rely on the dealership to do the right thing.Each to there own I suppose.
Their money. If people don't mind paying the piper, so be it.
I prefer to spend my spare change on more bikes.

***Garage***
2018 Yamaha YZ250FX
2016 BMW S1000RR Premium
2015 MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR Corsa
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 02:44 AM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchsport View Post
Their money. If people don't mind paying the piper, so be it.
I prefer to spend my spare change on more bikes.
Same here mate.

Bike- F4 1078.
Work.Email & Paypal.

Mobile-0423041326
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 04:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy View Post
This is so true..,personally I get as much enjoyment working on the bike as I do riding them..... (sometimes even more enjoyment.! )

I think many people have a fear or are apprehensive in regard to working on their motorcycles as though it is some sort of machine that "you just Don't touch".!

I was amazed that a mate who has a Kawasaki Z1000 was "scared to give it a service"...I urged him to buy the Oil.,plugs.,filters etc and I would come up to his garage (or he could come round to mine and we could do it together).

He bought the stuff ....but "bottled out".! And he "gave the stuff away" when he changed the bike.!!.

When faced with Bill's in excess of £1000.!...etc .,I think it is wise to at least make full use of this fantastic forum and ask some questions availing of the "know how" on here.

Donsy for example produced a fantastic thread containing a multitude of other threads dedicated to tackling in great detail most things you should encounter regarding MV Agusta motorcycles...
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=107834
You could also use the "search" button....check out the "manual" section...or just put up a post and ask a question.?

Basic things such as an oil change or changing the plugs for example pretty much "carry over" to most bikes (yes it is a question of accessibility. ,etc on varying bikes)..but by and large the same basic principals apply.

Check out the "Other Marques" section as there are also are some fairly In depth projects going on such as my own....on a Kawasaki..http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=164753..and Chuck's on a Ducati Monster...http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=166225

Nobody is urging you to split the engine and replace the shell bearings on the crank......but for everyday maintence such as adjusting your chain..,fixing a blown bulb in your tail light..,or giving your bike a basic service such as an oil and spark plug change...etc.,you can save a fortune by just having a little faith in yourself and asking what you are not clear on.

We are here to help......the surgery is open and.., "The Doctor will see you Now"
Brian

Last edited by BG Wells; 07-30-2016 at 04:39 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BG Wells For This Useful Post:
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 08:51 AM

if i can my crappy 2c, i can change oil on my 2 stroke bangers that don't have an oil filter lol
what scares me is that if i make a mistake it can cost me hugely.

eg, i did a full service on my rs125, a oil filler hose came out and obviously that is some serious shit. The result 2 stroke oil wasnt getting to where it needed ....result engine seized. top end needed $600 later bike fixed.

so in conclusion a simple thing like an oil change if its not done properly can and may blow up an engine, right?
so yep it can be scary to work on a bike if ur not absolutely 100% certain of what ur doing

Sanity is the playground for the un-imaginative

2005 MV F4 1000S / 2006 Yamaha 50th anniversary R1 / 1998 Aprilia RS 125
1995 Suzuki RGV 250 / 2004 Cagiva Mito EVO2 / 2000 Cagiva mito
1992 Yamaha YZ250 / 1991 Kawasaki kr1s / 2010 Vespa GTS 300

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode