'Sealed' battery leaking - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

'Sealed' battery leaking

I had a new battery fitted to my Brutale at the last service end of April and it has leaked with the resulting damage shown in the pictures.
I have spoken to the service manager at the Adelaide MV dealership who installed the battery and sent him some pictures. He has advised that he will take up my issue with the battery distributor.
I will keep everyone posted on progress, particularly how quickly I get a satisfactory resolution and what that turns out to be.

The dealership suggested that they may want to check the charging rate on my bike which I am happy for them to do. They checked it immediately after the battery was fitted and it was OK at that time so I don't anticipate that they will find anything untoward.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 08:29 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
People have experienced this when the wrong style battery was installed.
There is a non-factory activated version that fits; but, it is not correct.

The battery that should have been installed would be a SEALED from the factory, factory activated, AGM battery.

Any battery where the end user is puttng in the electrolyte (acid) is NOT CORRECT.

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125

Last edited by silentservice703; 07-20-2016 at 02:06 AM.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundodger View Post
Has anyone else experienced this?
Not on an MV but on another bike. The battery manufacturer/distributor told me, just because they are sealed, does not mean they are completely robust. Apparently, the battery is designed to 'vent' if it gets overheated (due to irregular charging), and I found out later that my stator was also on its way out so I left it at that and got another battery after I changed the stator.

Who moved my cheese?

MY04 Brutale 750S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentservice703 View Post
People have experienced this when the wrong style battery was installed.
There is a noon-factory activated version taht fits; but, it is not correct.

The battery that should have been installed would be a SEALED from the factory, factory activated, AGM battery.

Any battery where the end user is puttng in the electrolyte (acid) is NOT CORRECT.
The battery that the stealership installed was a Powervolt Nano Gel, which from the font of all knowledge that is Google is a
"Factory Activated Sealed Gel Battery"

I did kinda trust the workshop not to install a vented lead acid battery, particularly given that it doesn't sit vertically.

I fully expect the distributor to look for an out and the voltage regulator on my bike may still turn out to be the root cause of the problem but at the end of the day, faulty products do occasionally slip out of a factory.....
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 09:34 PM

I've experienced this also with similar reactions from forum members. It happens even with the correct battery specification. I recommend the lithium battery. Ive got two on my bikes and no troubles thus far. They seem to charge very quick, and I like the tendancy for the lithium to put out good voltage right up to the point it is almost entirely depleted.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 09:35 PM

New Site Garage
Gel and AGM lead acid batteries do not have a vent and can be mounted in any orientation. AGM is most common or motorcycles.
They're biggest failure is sensitivity to overcharge rate.

This is not the same as a Flooded Sealed Wet sell which still requires positioning upright because of the breather.

"Sundodger" what did you have in there ?

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -

Last edited by Donsy; 07-18-2016 at 09:38 PM.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 09:40 PM

New Site Garage
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by squibby View Post
the lithium battery, I like the tendancy for the lithium to put out good voltage right up to the point it is almost entirely depleted.
squibby, what does that mean ?

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
squibby, what does that mean ?
Ive been messing with some aftermarket clocks in the garage recently, and had the multimeter out etc. involving long durations of having ignition switched on and lights etc. with the regular battery the voltage drops steadily until your lights etc are working (albeit a bit dim) but the engine wont crank. With the lithium you can still crank up until the moment the battery gives out entirely. Handy. Downside is you cant really tell when tge battery is about to deplete entirely, the head lights for example go from a nice healthy beam to next to nothing immediately when flat.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 09:50 PM

This is with the SSB powersport battery by the way. One of the cheaper brands.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 09:58 PM

New Site Garage
Be careful, you'll damage the Lithium battery if you discharge them too much, It's their chemical make-up. Power tools and Vehicles have anything between a 9.8V to 10.8V shutdown for Lithium batteries. There are different kinds of Lithiums out there too.
I've shared quite a bit of info on this topic in the past and have some info in my photo albums Maintenance section for those who care to look there.

As with Lead acid, Lithium is not just Lithium either, if you know what I mean.

http://gallery.mvagusta.net/donsy/electrical/page1/

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode