Starting problems - battery or worse? - MVAgusta.net
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
GeorgeO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Sydney
Posts: 331
Starting problems - battery or worse?

Hi there

Need some help diagnosing this. Is it my battery acting up or something else?

I keep the battery on the supplied MV charger when parked up.

I noticed a few months ago that I also had starting issues (starter and motor turns over like normal - just not firing up) when I had my mobile phone plugged into the usb charger (coupled directly to the battery via the battery charging plug under the seat. If I unplug the mobile phone out of the usb port and there is no current draw - happy days. When plugged in - she takes a few turns to fire up. To explain - 4 or 5 starting attempts of 4 to 5 seconds each.

Past few rides have been cold - in the 1 - 6 degree range. When heading out - starts first time no problems. Rode 30 minutes to meet point. Starts up no issues afterwards. After a further 30 minutes ride I stopped at a servo to fill up with fuel. Problems starting up then - the starter turns over like normal, just requires quite a few 5 seconds or longer attempts before she finally fires into life (not something you want to do on a bike with sprag issues in the model history ). I had the Oxfords heated grips on during the ride. i make a point of switching it off before i started (due to previous usb charger problem above).

I still have the original BS BTZ10S SLA battery installed. 9 months old

Battery voltage 13.09V with everything switched off (manual says above 12.5 V good). There is no current leak or draw.
Battery voltage 14.45V while running measure over the charging fuse connection to the bike earth.

I will be riding with my multimeter next time to measure the voltage once I start getting the same problem again.

Can it be the battery? If it was, why does the bike still turn over the starter/motor like crazy - no slow down of starter as a flat battery would indicate?

Is the MV that sensitive that it would turn over and NOT spark if the voltage drops a bit?

Are there any other sensors that could perhaps be giving a false signal that would stop it from firing and not stop it from turning over?

Typing this i realize i still have to measure the voltage over the battery when the bike is running and the oxford heated grips are on.

Any advice?

I think I'm going to invest in a Lithium battery (SSB LFP14H-BS). Has a much higher cca if that helps.

Faster and Faster untill the fear of death subsides.....
GeorgeO is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 03:45 AM
Moderator
 
Donsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 22,054
New Site Garage
Current draw is measured with a specific tester, called a Tong Tester. Putting a tester on (V) across the battery terminals does not measure current draw GeorgO, how did you measure current draw?

The battery Voltage sounds good, but current carrying capacity you have to get measured with a load tester, any auto dealer/Battery centre should be able to do this for you buddy.

It's like looking at a cup of coffee with milk in, it all looks great as the recipe says, but it doesn't tell you how much sugar is inside until you taste it.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Donsy is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
GeorgeO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Sydney
Posts: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
Current draw is measured with a specific tester, called a Tong Tester. Putting a tester on (V) across the battery terminals does not measure current draw GeorgO, how did you measure current draw?

The battery Voltage sounds good, but current carrying capacity you have to get measured with a load tester, any auto dealer/Battery centre should be able to do this for you buddy.

It's like looking at a cup of coffee with milk in, it all looks great as the recipe says, but it doesn't tell you how much sugar is inside until you taste it.
Current draw measured by disconnecting + terminal and measuring amps with multimeter. very small mA reading so nothing draining the battery.

Can a person measure the 'health ' of your battery by checking the voltage reading during the starting process?

Anyway - just picked up a new Lithium battery this afternoon. If it's not the original battery that's faulty at least i get a 1.4 kg weight saving .

Faster and Faster untill the fear of death subsides.....
GeorgeO is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 05:48 AM
Moderator
 
Donsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 22,054
New Site Garage
Hahaha, good on you mate.
In general you cant check the current carrying capacity this way, it can be a sure fire tell-tale it's munted, but it really does need to be a "before and after " measurement. So unless you knew what it did when new, you have no measuring standard. That's what load testers do.
Which LiFo battery did you get ?

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Donsy is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
GeorgeO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Sydney
Posts: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
Hahaha, good on you mate.
In general you cant check the current carrying capacity this way, it can be a sure fire tell-tale it's munted, but it really does need to be a "before and after " measurement. So unless you knew what it did when new, you have no measuring standard. That's what load testers do.
Which LiFo battery did you get ?
I got a SSB LFP14H-BS.

Faster and Faster untill the fear of death subsides.....
GeorgeO is offline  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 08:19 AM
Senior Member
 
silentservice703's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Duxbury, MA, USA
Posts: 20,800
Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeO View Post
Hi there
I still have the original BS BTZ10S SLA battery installed. 9 months old

Battery voltage 13.09V with everything switched off (manual says above 12.5 V good). There is no current leak or draw.
Battery voltage 14.45V while running measure over the charging fuse connection to the bike earth.

Can it be the battery? If it was, why does the bike still turn over the starter/motor like crazy - no slow down of starter as a flat battery would indicate?

Is the MV that sensitive that it would turn over and NOT spark if the voltage drops a bit?

Are there any other sensors that could perhaps be giving a false signal that would stop it from firing and not stop it from turning over?
I culled your post a bit for clarity and the short answer is yes.

Yes, your battery can show good resting and running voltage while being unable to maintain that voltage under the heavy amp drw of starting.

Yes, the engine can turn over and not develop spark. The ECU senses voltage and uses a base low voltage as a trigger to allow the ignition to activate the injectors and the spark.

Oh and the unasked question is also answered yes...the BS battery is just that.

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020


'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
silentservice703 is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
GeorgeO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Sydney
Posts: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentservice703 View Post
I culled your post a bit for clarity and the short answer is yes.

Yes, your battery can show good resting and running voltage while being unable to maintain that voltage under the heavy amp drw of starting.

Yes, the engine can turn over and not develop spark. The ECU senses voltage and uses a base low voltage as a trigger to allow the ignition to activate the injectors and the spark.

Oh and the unasked question is also answered yes...the BS battery is just that.
Thanks a million for the support (you too Donsy). Confirms what I was thinking.

Read the maintenance manual last night and the section of sensors also explains that the battery voltage is used as an input to injector timing.

Would have thought that the LOGICAL thing would be for some kind of low battery warning to at least display if this was the case. But this bike is about passion not logic.

The replacement battery has a higher cca rating (290 vs 190) so hopefully will cure all this. Will fit this weekend and report back.

Faster and Faster untill the fear of death subsides.....
GeorgeO is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 11:02 PM
Established Member
 
masterspin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: empire ca.
Posts: 169
I'm starting have issues with my dragster rr taking a lot of cranks to start when it has been running and engine heated up aka..stopping for gas etc...I did not think it was going to start today and had this ugly feeling of calling a tow truck. the fear is real and it has stopped me from going on a tour/ride tomorrow until I can determine if this is just me being paranoid, or there really is a problem...

If your phone isn't ringing..it's probably me!...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
masterspin is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
GeorgeO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Sydney
Posts: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterspin View Post
I'm starting have issues with my dragster rr taking a lot of cranks to start when it has been running and engine heated up aka..stopping for gas etc...I did not think it was going to start today and had this ugly feeling of calling a tow truck. the fear is real and it has stopped me from going on a tour/ride tomorrow until I can determine if this is just me being paranoid, or there really is a problem...
mate - i have EXACTLY the same situation.

The new battery has not solved the issue. It will start up first time in the morning when everything is cold. Once you travel a bit (like to the nearest servo for fuel etc) it then required 3-4 attempts of a few seconds each before it kicks into life.

I did a 200km run to a favourite biker stop and when starting really took quite a few attempts to start.

I'll call the dealer tomorrow.

Faster and Faster untill the fear of death subsides.....
GeorgeO is offline  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 07:30 AM
Moderator
 
Donsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 22,054
New Site Garage
It's either spragg clutch or battery cables, at a long shot maybe a temp compensating problem in the mapping or sensor.
Are you all using 95 fuel ?

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Donsy is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome