Hello - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Hello

Hi all,

Must confess I've been lurking for a little while and trying to read up and learn about these fabulous bikes. There is a real wealth of info on here - thank you.

I took the plunge and bought a beautiful 01 F4 750 a couple of weeks ago. It has done less then 7500 miles.

What with the wonderful weather we have in the UK I haven't been able to really take it out for a spin properly yet. I've attached a few photos for y'all.

Now to my inevitable questions.
I know the previous owner(s) haven't really been riding this beauty; from the paperwork it looks like an average of 300 miles per year the last few years only!

So my to do list so far is:
Adjust suspension back to stock/factory (done - what a difference!)

Change oil and oil filter (this was done last year and I think "nanotech" was put in by the dealer - this is an offroad bike oil??) Have ordered Mobil 1 Racing 15W50 plus Champion COF203 filter from Halfords

Fuel filter: I took the bike out for a 10 minute ride after adjusting the suspension but had to bring it home in the nick of time as it started raining!
Now I know this bike is an 01 the same year as my first bike, a 2 stroke NSR, so I figure you need to warm it up before you give it the beans.
Still after 5 minutes or so when I twisted the throttle in first or second it didn't accelerate smoothly, like the revs held around 4-5k and then a few seconds later it would accelerate. I did get a good blast in third gear taking the revs past this a little later and this felt great! Made my paining hands worthwhile!

So I'm not really sure and want to ask you guys - is this normal? Does it take a while to warm up or does the acceleration hit you at once towards the higher revs two stroke style?
My thinking is that maybe the previous owner filled up the petrol tank last year and the fuel in the bike is very old with no stabiliser.
So should I drain the fuel out and maybe change the filter too?
Do you guys in the UK use normal unleaded or Shell V Power?

I found this as a guide to change the filter for anyone that is interested for the 750, 1000 and Brutal models

http://mvfaq.blogspot.co.uk/2006/11/...nge-every.html

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Donsy; 07-21-2016 at 03:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 02:50 PM

My mechanic puts Putoline Nano-Tech 4+ 10w60 fully synthetic in my 2000 model F4 750.
They also do off road and competion: http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/moto...ntent_cat/1891 scroll down and look on the left near the bottom.

It is not cheap oil. I have been using it for 5yrs 13000 miles or so.

Mine does not need to warm up to rev, but I like to respect my engines.
I am running a PCIII and SilMoto cans. XBikes did some tuning on a Dyno, although PCIII are not the best and she can be a tad snatchy in low gear.

I do not like using fuel with ethanol, I use BP super unleaded, Esso super(or whatever it's called is also ethanol free) Shell has ethanol, but it depends where you live as to where you can get ethanol free.
In winter I use fuel stabilizer and go for a 15 mile ride or so every few weeks.

Last edited by MVBERT; 06-27-2016 at 03:53 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MVBERT For This Useful Post:
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 03:16 PM

New Site Garage
Hi Ken and welcome.
I have a 2004 F4 750 since new and had to replace all fuel lines in the fuel tank becaus they had perished due to ethanol additive in the fuel which I used over the years and my bike has less miles than yours although they are almost all track day miles.
Change the fuel filter at the same time.
By the way what's happend to your gas tank fairing?
I don't have any issues revving although like MVBERT I have some mechanical sympathy so always warm her up properly. Like MVBERT I too am running a PC III with free flow exhausts and had it set up on a dyno.

Last edited by TakisM; 06-27-2016 at 03:19 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TakisM For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 08:24 PM

once it warms up to about 120 F it should run fine. The fuel injectors may need to be cleaned and see what happens after you change the plugs. if that doesn't help then it may be an electrical problem
The Following User Says Thank You to number2 For This Useful Post:
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 06:00 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Ok guys thanks I'm going to try the following:

oil and filter change

fuel: drain old fuel then put in some star tron:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle...MAAOSwWTRW2IL~

then fill up with some quality petrol.

Anyone used Star Tron in the UK? It looks like it can be used to clean fuel injectors as well as a fuel stabilizer!

Plugs were done last year according to the service invoices but I will do these next followed by fuel filter and lines if the above doesn't yield results.

TakisM - good eye! I didn't even spot this must have been so wrapped up with the rest of the bike. I've contacted the seller who has said he will have a look round to see if this piece is lying around so I'm keeping everything crossed..
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 06:18 AM

New Site Garage
Welcome to the world of MV and pleased you took the plunge on the 750, nice machines. I would say there is something not right with yours, start with the basics as you are - including new plugs, I use iridium plugs but not everyone likes them, then get the throttle bodies balanced as well as the mentioned fuel filter and new air filter.
I have never had anything but plugs oil filters and yearly balance on the throttle bodies, all done by myself, I have no tuning aids such as pipes or PCIII equipment and run perfect in all the 12 years of ownership, they can be a little snatchy a low revs but never been really evident on the one I have (EVO3)....... has always revved cleanly from cold without a hiccup......I am now up to 12k miles.

MV F4 750 EVO3 2003
MV Brutale 910s 2007
Honda VFR800 1998
Honda MBX 125 FE 1983
F4 Agusta mini moto replica
Chinese Quadbike made of peanut butter (crunchy).

Last edited by EVO Chris; 06-28-2016 at 10:18 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to EVO Chris For This Useful Post:
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 06:40 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Welcome to the family !!!! Old fuel (especially ethanol fuel) wil make a bike run like crap.

Dump it and get some non-ethanol. Startron isn't really a fuel system cleaner. There are better products for that from a variety of sources.

She should rev cleanly from bottom, but she will have a big hit when you get on the pipe!!!! Enjoy !

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
The Following User Says Thank You to esq'z me For This Useful Post:
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
Welcome to the family !!!! Old fuel (especially ethanol fuel) wil make a bike run like crap.

Dump it and get some non-ethanol. Startron isn't really a fuel system cleaner. There are better products for that from a variety of sources.

She should rev cleanly from bottom, but she will have a big hit when you get on the pipe!!!! Enjoy !
Thanls Esq'z me!
Anyone got any fuel system cleaners they would recommend?
I'm looking at an stp one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle...QAAOSwf05XPC2F

or are they all much the same..
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Masters View Post
Don't know it, but this stuff has a good rep, and the reviews on Amazon like it to, read a few of them, they do mention it fixing bikes that ran badly after the fuel goes off: SILKOLENE PRO FST, https://www.amazon.co.uk/SILKOLENE-S.../dp/B006MVFV46

Last edited by MVBERT; 06-28-2016 at 01:57 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode