Check your cams... Flaking cams are back - MVAgusta.net
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Check your cams... Flaking cams are back

Check your cams before the warranty is up..!

I heard MV triples were having an issue with the finish on the cams flaking off, a similar issue to the early F4's (ask me how I know), so I checked the cams on my Rivale a week before the warranty was up and sure enough the intake cam had the issue.

The exhaust cam had minor flaws, but I'm not going to worry about it.

The bike only has 3500 miles on it.

I've been using full synthetic Castrol RS 5W-40 motorcycle oil since new. First change was at 400 miles and it's been changed twice since, so a total of 3 oil/filter changes.

It's something else to check before your warranty is up. At $1000 per cam, it's not a cheap fix if you have to open your wallet..! And who knows if the next cam will be good!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 01:20 AM

New Site Garage
How are the followers? My 2013 F4RR had flaking on two of the inlet followers and the cam lobes were beginning to mark. Nothing to worry about they said, check it at the next scheduled valve clearance check.

The bike had already been in the shop for almost 3 months for a warranty job for engine noise which culminated in replacement of the cam chain, tensioner, chain guides, idler gear and shaft (which was badly worn at 8,000km).

Next morning I went back to the workshop and took photos of the cam and followers. I scarcely had time to get back to my office when I had a call to say that the had decided to order inlet cams and followers for replacement under warranty. Funny that! But only the inlet cam!

I'll take it back in a month or so to fit the inlet cam (they want me to pay for fitting!), it will have done another 6,000 km by then. And we will have a very hard look at the exhaust cam.

Tony
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 06:39 PM

New Site Garage
All my cams have this, on the F4 1000R, it's never become worse or damaged the followers either.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 06:13 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
I seem to recall this subject some years ago, and MV saying not to worry? There must be prior posts to substantiate this........

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony F View Post
How are the followers? My 2013 F4RR had flaking on two of the inlet followers and the cam lobes were beginning to mark. Nothing to worry about they said, check it at the next scheduled valve clearance check.

The bike had already been in the shop for almost 3 months for a warranty job for engine noise which culminated in replacement of the cam chain, tensioner, chain guides, idler gear and shaft (which was badly worn at 8,000km).

Next morning I went back to the workshop and took photos of the cam and followers. I scarcely had time to get back to my office when I had a call to say that the had decided to order inlet cams and followers for replacement under warranty. Funny that! But only the inlet cam!

I'll take it back in a month or so to fit the inlet cam (they want me to pay for fitting!), it will have done another 6,000 km by then. And we will have a very hard look at the exhaust cam.

Tony
Why do they want you to pay for fitting when it's a warranty job? Sounds a bit rich to me!
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 02:57 PM

Apart from how they look are there any symptoms - noise, adjustment issues etc.
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 07:01 PM

New Site Garage
New here, but registered because I just ordered a 800RR dragster.

Whan kind of springs are in there ?

I've had cams go this on Subaru race engines. Upgraded springs would cause wear on the cams. ( But allow for higher revs. )

Can the valve covers be taken off in place ?
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
All my cams have this, on the F4 1000R, it's never become worse or damaged the followers either.
That's strange. I wonder why MV is warrantying the cams then...?
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
Apart from how they look are there any symptoms - noise, adjustment issues etc.
Nope. Bike still ran perfect.

The flaking lobes felt rough, I could easily catch my finger nail on the edge where they started flaking.

I'm sure I caught it early enough to where it wasn't affecting the running.
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 10:55 PM

New Site Garage
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resom View Post
That's strange. I wonder why MV is warrantying the cams then...?
Must be worse on the new bikes mate, or maybe they care more these days

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode