MV Agusta Forum banner

Servicing: oil changes etc!!

30K views 152 replies 42 participants last post by  wrick 
#1 ·
so by trade, i own an auto repair shop, have a lot of experience with wrenching on cars and also motorcycles. i don't trust others to wrench on my own stuff and definitely prefer doing myself (even if it's under warranty), plus the nearest dealership is an absolute pain to get to with all the traffic i have to endure.

i've searched online & checked the usual sites (bikebandit, revzilla, most of popular US sites) for OE filters & fluids and can't seem to find a place that supplies it, can someone link me to a site where i can purchase these parts (without having to order from over seas)?

how is resetting the maintenance reminder done? hopefully this is done without the use of a factory scan tool (almost most cars i work on is usually a combination of button presses that resets the maintenance minder)

now in terms of diagnostics, how are trouble codes pulled from the computer? is there any software that i can download (and/or purchase) so i can do diagnostics on my own? i remember with my previous triumph, there was some freesoftware where tuning can be done, code pulling etc.

what weight/brand oil are you DIY guys using?

i haven't checked the service manual yet as it's currently downloading so i apologize if these answers are in the manual.

See less See more
#2 ·
just breezed through the manual and did in fact find the service reset function.

Press the "SET" and "OK" buttons at the same time
for more than ten seconds to access the "DEALER
MENU".

Press the "OK " button for less than three seconds
until the message "SERVICE" is displayed. The
mileage range with respect to expiration of the next
scheduled maintenance is shown on this screen.

Mileage range resetting: After performing scheduled
maintenance, the mileage range must be reset using
the following procedure.
- Access "SERVICE" mode and press the "OK" button
for less than three seconds until the message
"RESET KM" appears and the mileage range indicator
light will begin to flash.

Press the "OK " button for more than three seconds
and the mileage range will be reset. The mileage
range with respect to expiration of the next scheduled
maintenance is shown on this screen.
- The next press of the "SET" button for less than three
seconds will allow the user to return to the dashboard
start screen.

#3 ·
As for parts supply....there are several US dealers who do on-line parts orders. At least one is a sponsor on this site!

The Bike Bandit/Revzilla guys don't have MV parts because they aren't dealers. Both of those sites (and all the others like them) are actually fronts for multi-line OEM dealers.

I use the recommended oil: AGIP (was...now ENI) 10 w 60.
As for oil preferences, like certain anatomical features, everyone has their own!!!

#5 ·
Ah...that weird spec again. I have no clue about the kg measurement of oil. My 910R takes a bit less than 4 qts with filter.

Try starting with 3 quarts. Check site glass. Add more if needed....run engine for a bit (30 seconds?) allow to sit for a minute or so and check level again. Top up as needed.

Don't over fill !!

Make a note for future reference.

#7 ·
2.5 ltr is correct, even after draining the oil cooler, do not overfill.

#10 ·
I don't have a 3 cylinder....guess they hold less than the older 4 cylinder bikes.

#14 ·
I get mine from the dealer where I bought the bike, there pretty far from me so they box um up and send them out. The oil my dealer uses is the Motorex Power synt 4t, they use 10/50, but when I changed I used the factory recommend 5/40.. The filter runs about 12.00 and a dollar each for the o-ring and crush washer..

#22 ·
the book for my 2015 f3 says eni i-ride moto2 5w.40.
i cant seem to find anything that is equivalent. it says JASO MA | API SL | ACEA A3 | JASO MA2

does that mean any oil that has JASO MA is ok ? if so then mobil 1 4T racing synthetic is ok.
i cant find eni i-ride moto2 5w.40 anywhere in the US.

#117 ·
the book for my 2015 f3 says eni i-ride moto2 5w.40.
i cant seem to find anything that is equivalent. it says JASO MA | API SL | ACEA A3 | JASO MA2

does that mean any oil that has JASO MA is ok ? if so then mobil 1 4T racing synthetic is ok.
i cant find eni i-ride moto2 5w.40 anywhere in the US.

Yes, but as it is not ACEA A3 rated, don't leave it in for 15,000kms.

#24 ·
The Eni I-Ride oil is hard to find in stores . I ordered it off eBay before.

#26 ·
Lefin, 10/60 oil is not for the 3 cyl series engines so why post in this section?

#30 ·
I buy ENI oil from the US distributor.....used to be Agip. Have to buy a case, but price is right. Go to their web site.

JASO MA is Japanese standards designator for oils suitable for use in wet clutch engines where engine, transmission and clutch share same oil supply....

This post has been deleted
#35 ·
I had no problem with the silkolene. it's very easy to get the Mobil 1. Donsy I though you had posted bad time with Motul? It took me the better part of a day finding the Silkolene that I liked & wanted. the reason I added it here is for the search so if someone wanted to find it they could. I'm using the pro 4 XP ester. had the engine open nice & clean. Ed posted where to get ENI not sure about Penrite. never heard of Rock Oil.

#36 ·
I had no problem with the silkolene. it's very easy to get the Mobil 1. Donsy I though you had posted bad time with Motul?
I did comment on the 300V Motul and posted pics of my sump as well as saying guys should not use it for road riding, instead use the lower grades.
The Silkolene I used was the top of the line at the time, and no temp issue's, just a hard to shift gearbox.

#37 · (Edited)
I remember the pic's ! I'v got the pro XP is few of my bikes one that's done track days and shift's fine. I was impressed how clean the oil was that came out and when I opened it looked new. huh who knows . do you think it was viscosity related ?

actually I was using the 15x50 in that bike and wanted the 10x60 for the 1090

#38 ·
You have to keep in mind ambient temps and the fact that I only track ride now. I don't think there's anything wrong with Silkolene, it was just not my favourite. If I was in the USA I'd me using Mobil One, Amsoil or Redlone I would imagine. Amsoil comes very highly rated and although I've only tried in once, other swear by it.

I've never used Ani or Agip fwiw.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.