MV Agusta Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Site Look and Feedback Thread

34K views 325 replies 57 participants last post by  Admin 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello Everyone,

We're proud to announce that the new site look and feel has been completed for MVagusta.net! Our designers and software engineers have been hard at work on this for several months. It's designed to modernize the site, make it easier to use, and to make it more attractive to new members and guests that visit .

The forum software we use, vBulletin, by default is not designed to be friendly to the eyes or to look modern. We went down to the nuts and bolts of the forum software and templates, and have done a ground up approach. There are several things you will notice now that the new design is live.

1) The site should be significantly faster.

We have applied every modern technique to speed up page load and tested with all modern browsers. We want the forum to be extremely fast and easy to use.

2) The site will work much better in mobile and tablet views

We've started applying responsive design, and have designed and tested against android and iPhone devices, Android tablets, and iPads. If you are sitting at your desk or on your couch, or just on your phone, the site will work much better than it did before, and load fast. We are still working on improving the experience even further in the months to come, but we wanted to launch this as quickly as we could.

3) The homepage is bright, crisp and clean.

We wanted the first page users saw to look beautiful, so that when a new guest arrives and is debating whether to join MVagusta.net, they see a beautiful doorway, and they walk right in.

As a forum member you can choose to use the new design (which is on by default) or you can go back to the old design. We ask that you give it a chance and see if you like it. Like anything new, it will be unfamiliar at first, but we suspect that the speed difference will make you want to use this new one. If you do decide to switch back, the link is at the bottom left of each forum page, you pull down and select the theme called "MVagusta.net Classic". (Should be live now 1/10/2017)

4) Garages will be featured on the site

You can show off your MVAgusta, You can post pictures in your garage and share it with others. Make sure you post up some images to share with the community at the link below.

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/garage.php?do=editgarage

5) Users will be able to register with Facebook

6) The side bar can be hidden in your user options.

Click on my profile / user cp at the top right.

- click on edit your details on the left.
- Look for Show Sidebar on Forum Pages under Additional Information.
- Click disable and save.

7) Another new great feature is the @Mention user plugin. You can tag members by simply using the @ symbol.

8) Drag and Drop image uploader

We hope you enjoy it, and if you have any questions on the design, please let us know, feedback is appreciated.

If there are any issues you see. Post them up here and we will get them worked out.

Thanks,
-Your MVagusta.net Team.

See less See more
#105 ·
I understand there are some rules on posting, until you have 3 posts can cant post in certain sections etc.

By any chance have we or could we make location or at least country or at worst continent mandatory information when you register.

Reactions: Donsy
#106 ·
Hey D, the only rule you need to be aware of is exceeding your EEEK allocation which is a maximum of 3 per post :surprise::surprise::surprise: there are some over the years who have and .............:flamethro:flamethro:flamethro :wtf::wtf::wtf::jsm::jsm::jsm::jsm:

#108 ·
Maybe flying in the face of popular opinion here but the new layout has grown on me and I'm liking it. Embrace change :grin2:

A very minor point but should be a quick fix with a line in the CSS. The WYSIWYG text editor used for composing and editing posts defaults to a serif font, the browser default I think but ISTR that most do default to serif. Would be nicer if this was sans-serif like the rest of the site. A purely visual thing so not really important, just a nice to have.

#116 ·
Well, I'm trying to like this new site but...
Todays post took almost an hour and it's still full of errors. I gave up trying to fix 'em.
a/ I can not get the drop down font menu to work. I'm stuck with only the first half dozen in the list.
b/ I tried to do a copy and paste from another post and I find words running together.
c/ Some how I ended up with a double post and could not find and easy way to delete it.
(Finally, got a separate page to come up for delete but, I was pulling my hair out for a time.)
It shouldn't be this hard to use.
For the record, using Window$ 7 64 bit on an Asus ROG laptop. I do not recall having these issues with the old site.

#130 ·
Reactions: BG Wells
#128 ·
Are you going to enable the birthday announcements again?

#129 ·
How about the registry?

#133 ·
I really like the actual news on the home page. 2015 news on the old site suggested the site was dead.
I only used the member gallery to add pictures to posts. The new drag-and-drop photos and files feature looks great.
I do miss the old site's feature where you hovered the cursor over a post's title to get a summary - you could work out quickly whether it was relevant to read or not.

Cheers,
Rob

#137 ·
Page loading

It looks as though nothing loads until the ads load first.
Can anything be done about that? Sometimes an ad gets hung up so the rest of the page will not load.:toothless

#142 ·
!

Thankfully " Notifications " is back to " Private Messages" instead of telling me every time someone did anything involving me.......

also a little more vertical space would make it easier to click on.......

it was taking 10-12 tries (on a phone) my fingers are kind of flat on the ends

#143 · (Edited)
Noticed a slight issue in windows internet explorer when editing a post. The save button does not appear only another edit button. If you edit the post and click edit again, you get taken to the advanced message composer where the first option is to delete your post. Any changes you have made are lost and you need to re-edit and save changes there.

In chrome the edit button changes to a save button and functions as you would expect on the old site. err am I allowed to mention the old site or will I have my cheese forcibly moved and reprogrammed? :|

edit: my screen aspect ratio is a little strange at 16:10 rather than 16:9 or 4:3, have not checked on a 'normal' system

Attachments

#148 ·
Advertising is a reality that the people who run sites such as this have to face. Despite the apparent freedom of the Internet running a popular forum does cost a not insignificant sum (hosting, backup, software licences, admin hours etc. it all adds up). The alternative is a subscription based model though I'm sure that would raise as many, if not more, howls of derision in the way of protest. Have no idea if VerticalScope would be interested in going that route anyway.

#149 ·
#150 ·
Ok I'm a bit scunnered with this new look, I can't use tapatalk, my purchased motorcycle.com ad free app is no longer supported so I have started using safari on my iPhone (using mobile version), I tried to read a thread today and clicked the link, I got to see 1 post, hit the back button and tried again, got to see 1 post again albeit a different post, tried again and yes I got to see 1 different post again. Now I know for a fact that it is me that can't use this new site I don't even want to learn how to use it can you just let me use tapatalk it's idiot proof and I can use it, rant over but please if you reply to me remember I will never probably never see it. Happy days indeed

#152 ·
Not sure about Safari, let alone on an iPhone, but if you hold your finger on the link do you get the option to open the thread in a new tab? This is how I use the site on PC and mobile (albeit Firefox on Android) and it prevents having to reload the new posts page, or call it from cache, after viewing each thread as it's always there in the background.

In fact I just go through the new posts page/s opening new tabs that interest me until I reach the "The threads below have not been updated since your last visit" notice. Then I just go though the opened tabs in turn reading each thread closing each as I go. Works for me.

The new mobile layout is far cleaner and more mobile friendly than the old classic look. Previously had to use the phone in landscape mode and pinch and zoom to read, now can use in portrait orientation without zooming, far better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.