MV Agusta Forum banner

firing in three cylinders ?

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Maximum Velocity 
#1 ·
Hi everybody,

My F41000 has suddenly started firing in three cylinders I think.

I was riding along and all of a sudden, engine starting vibrating, funny noise and slight loss of power.

I stopped and with the engine running it looks like there was exhaust coming of all four pipes, so maybe there is another problem.

However it sounded very much like not firing on all four. Managed to get home.

Any ideas what it could be ?

Cheers
Dan

#2 ·
Since the four exhaust are actually coming from a single collector you can't use that as a diagnostic tool.
You can however use the heat variance on each of the four header pipes to determine if you have dropped a cylinder.
Most likely you have a fouled plug, or a loose connection to one of coils or injectors.
First step is remove tank and air box, inspect connectors and pull plugs.
Let us know what you find....

Oh, and welcome to the family here! Where are you located?

#5 ·
You can do that the best by spraying a bit of water on each header pipe at the time. Like that you can very easy define which cilinder is not firing.

Most likely a spark plug. Had that a few times with my MV's.
This did not happen anymore after I switched to the iridium ones.

#6 ·
I'll bet Donsy is spot on with the EBS relay......known to malfunction in the heat, too. Didn't DJester finally relocate his into a cooler air stream to stop this very problem with his Diamanté F4 1000S?

#7 ·
After embarrassing myself with the exhaust pipes question I thought about going into hiding .
I keep the bike in my living room so its not like I don’t see the exhaust pipes coming out of the catalytic converter every day.
In my defence, I was thinking of my old Ducati 748.

Any way when you mentioned the EBS relay and its position I became suspicious because I was messing around that area
When I replaced the radiator a couple of weeks ago, and maybe I pushed it even closer to the engine.
So I mowed it in the space behind the radiator and went for a ride.
It started fine and run fine for quite a while, however after about 15 min it started again, so I think its temperature related.
Does that point to the EBS ? Could a Spark plug cause problems after 15min ?

#10 ·
It took you almost two years to fix it??

#12 ·
Good to know :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.