Newbie needs help on restoration project - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Newbie needs help on restoration project

Hi,

This my first motorcycle, first restoration and first MV. I have a 150 RS frame and a 150 GT engine. Is this a compatible combination? What's the difference between an RS and a GT?
The flywheel cover is stuck, any ideas on how to get it off?

Hope anybody can help.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 11:15 PM

Can't answer your first question but if the motor fits in the frame and everything lines up it seems like you shouldn't have a problem. Maybe post some photos.

On the stuck magneto cover could you give a little more detail? If all the screws are removed (and any other impediments to removal as well) then gentle application of heat with a blow drier or propane torch and a few sharp raps around the perimeter with a wood or plastic mallet should loosen it.

You might sign up for a basic motorcycle repair class if you can find somehing. They are wonderful for access to tools, parts washing equipment, lifts, etc and can be a great way to learn as you go.

Probably the most difficult thing on your bike will be finding any replacement parts you might need. Don't be in a rush to dismantle it to restore it if its just old and faded. Get it running well first.

Ivan

1954 MV 175 CSS Super Sport
1957 MV 175 CS Modello Sport
1967 Motobi 125 Sport
1974 Ducati 750 GT
Left Coast USA
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I have very limited resources and time and can't really afford to get into a motorcycle repair class right now. I just trying to learn from all the materials I can get off the internet. If you happen to know anyone with a Repair Manual and Parts Catalog for this engine model, that would really help a lot. I've got a garage full of tools, except for the specialized ones which I'll try to acquire as I go along.

Anyway, here are some pics of my engine with the stuck flywheel: http://gallery.mvagusta.net/image_db/tyrael/75433.jpg
http://gallery.mvagusta.net/image_db/tyrael/75441.jpg
I'm having a hard time looking for a puller for this since it is left-hand threaded. Most of the bikes here are Japanese and they have right-hand threaded flywheels.
It's really stuck in there. I've soaked the shaft in white vinegar and wd-40 for 2 days, heated it up and it still broke my jaw type puller. Let me know if you have other ideas.

Appreciate all the help.

Thanks,
David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 02:01 AM

Your first post said the magneto cover was stuck on. That is a very different item from the magneto flywheel shown in your photos. Instead of acidic vinegar, a penetrant like Kroil or PB Blaster and some heat will work much better for you. The puller threads should be standard right hand threading. Not sure about the retaining nut (my experience is with 175 models) maybe someone else here can chime in. But the retaining nut must come off before using a puller. I think a Lambretta or a Bultaco puller may fit. Good luck.

1954 MV 175 CSS Super Sport
1957 MV 175 CS Modello Sport
1967 Motobi 125 Sport
1974 Ducati 750 GT
Left Coast USA
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 04:37 AM

I got mine off the 350 Ipotesi with one of these, after taking the nut off. It was the only way it was coming off.
Attached Images

1946 Mv Agusta "98"
1955 Mv Agusta 175cs
1960 Mv Agusta Rapido sport 150
1974 Mv Agusta 750 sport
1977 Mv Agusta 350 Felotti
2004 Mv Agusta F4 SR
2005 Mv Agusta Tamburini
2001 Ducati Mh900e Carbon dream
2004 Ducati 998R
2015 Vyrus 987
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 05:18 AM Thread Starter

Hi Ivan,

Sorry for the confusion, I still new to the motorcycle parts and rebuilding stuff. I'll try to find an alternative penetrant since the brands you mentioned aren't probably sold anywhere here.

Thanks again,
David

@adrian

Already tried that route, and broke mine in the process. I'll try to look for a proper puller and try that.
Anyway, thanks for the suggestion.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 06:58 AM

I had to modify mine to make it fit as the claw tip was to thick, grinned it down and it fitted right and pulled off

1946 Mv Agusta "98"
1955 Mv Agusta 175cs
1960 Mv Agusta Rapido sport 150
1974 Mv Agusta 750 sport
1977 Mv Agusta 350 Felotti
2004 Mv Agusta F4 SR
2005 Mv Agusta Tamburini
2001 Ducati Mh900e Carbon dream
2004 Ducati 998R
2015 Vyrus 987
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 01:26 PM
Established Member

It looks like you've removed the crankshaft nut, what you may not have noticed is that the flywheel has internal threads that are there just to insert a puller/extractor.

The puller in my picture is too big, but you should get the idea- thread the outer part into the flywheel, hold the outer part with a wrench, and then turn the inner part into the outer- it will press against the crankshaft and pull the flywheel off.
Measure the thread of the crankshaft nut and do a Google or Ebay search for 'flywheel puller' or 'flywheel extractor', they're available in almost any size.
Get the right tool or risk damaging parts...
Rick

Last edited by chip; 05-19-2014 at 01:38 PM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 04:29 PM
Established Member

You can contact in Germany:

Manfred Paller (Edesheim)
Jahnstr. 15C
67483, Edesheim

Telefonnummer: 06323 989479

I bought from him the puller for the flywheel for my 175 and he is spezialised making parts for the little MV like puller und sprokets. It seems that actualy his web-page doesn't work.

Regards

Alexander
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Hi Rick,

Thanks for pointing it out. I did notice it but just couldn't find the right puller size to fit. There aren't a lot of European bikes here, much less for special tool retailers. I'm still trying to hunt one down. What I have on is a Dansi ADL 58/1A 1-64 (not really sure what all the numbers mean). Tried measuring the thread at around 26mm in diameter.

Hi Alexander,

Thanks for the contact info. I'll try to get in touch with him to see if he can ship me one.

Appreciate all the help you guys!

Best,

David

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode