Auction prices.. - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Auction prices..

Hi chaps

All the talk of motorcycle 'investment' elsewhere on the site had me watching today's on-line auction at Bonhams in Stafford, UK.

A couple of 'tiddler' MVs went through - inc a Disco Volante: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doXaHPdpUD0

Bidding on this early 750S reached what I believe is a new high. Good news for classic 'four' owners - but likely to scare many out of riding theirs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH-hpq8IPy0

A couple of Cagiva-built bikes sold too. A brand-new, unregistered 1000 'Ago' reached around £17,000, and a nice 750SPR was bid up to £7000: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5Q_...ature=youtu.be

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 03:57 AM

Interesting to see what it fetched. It appears to be not totally original - given the work carried out to it and for that year and engine number surely it should have round bodied carburettors?

Of course the real gains are made by the auction companies. By my calculations the owner would have got in the region of £63362 after commission and Vat on the commission - if the normal commission rates applied!!

Let’s just hope it has gone to someone who will use it and not just put it in storage as an investment
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 05:41 AM

That's scary compared to what I got mine for. But bikes are made to be ridden and will continue to do so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by valspar View Post
Interesting to see what it fetched. It appears to be not totally original - given the work carried out to it and for that year and engine number surely it should have round bodied carburettors?

Of course the real gains are made by the auction companies. By my calculations the owner would have got in the region of £63362 after commission and Vat on the commission - if the normal commission rates applied!!
Yes, that 'Sport' isn't the best one I've seen. There are a few anomalies. (Total cost to the buyer 'inc. premium' was £85,500).
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 11:01 AM

Hi 750four been a while hope all is good with you, I saw the MV 750S in the Bonham’s Stafford auction on the Saturday, a few anomalies indeed, wrong crabs, wrong exhausts, poor seat refurbishment, and the worst paint job on the tank I have ever seen. Feel sorry for the new owner if he hadn't seen the bike before bidding. The UK MV owners club concurred with the anomalies and all you could say Steve it had been tarted up for sale, if 75K + the premium is the norm for a poor example then 160k would be the start price for an example like yours.
Take care, ride safe and take care of that ever appreciating beauty.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 11:34 AM
Established Member

So how can you watch these auctions live?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcredge View Post
Hi 750four been a while hope all is good with you, I saw the MV 750S in the Bonhamís Stafford auction on the Saturday, a few anomalies indeed, wrong crabs, wrong exhausts, poor seat refurbishment, and the worst paint job on the tank I have ever seen. Feel sorry for the new owner if he hadn't seen the bike before bidding. The UK MV owners club concurred with the anomalies and all you could say Steve it had been tarted up for sale, if 75K + the premium is the norm for a poor example then 160k would be the start price for an example like yours.
Take care, ride safe and take care of that ever appreciating beauty.
Hi John

It's good to hear from you, and thanks for the kind words.

Yes, much of what you saw first hand I could see from the photographs accompanying the bike's description; although when it comes to early MV 'fours' my eye now knows exactly where to look. They perhaps all look much the same to those less familiar. (I've a feeling the badge itself is all some owners/investors care about).

My own bike is still regularly ridden and she's never looked better. Forty-two years since she left Samarate, and she still starts on the button and runs like a Swiss watch.

Steve
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarenB68 View Post
So how can you watch these auctions live?
Hi Daren

On the Bonhams site you simply click the 'follow this auction live' button when the auction starts, and it takes you to the sale via web-cam. You can then bid on-line too if you've the urge.

Steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode