54 ? 175 CSS Dansi generator - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

54 ? 175 CSS Dansi generator

Can anyone out there tell me the resistance of the coils and which wire goes where? I'm trying to rewire an early 175 that has been hacked and stuck together with odd bits of wire over the years. I have the diagram in the owners manual and most of the pieces seem to resemble what is in the manual. The gen. has 3 wires coming off of it. One is black and it has a ring term to ground it to the case. The second is blue, the third is black with a red trace. The diagram has a terminal "R" and "Ru" with R going to the rectifier and Ru going to the points. Anyone know which is which? The blue wire to ground reads 1.5 ohms and the black/red is showing .5 ohm . At the moment I am lacking a puller to get the flywheel off and I don't know if the coil connections have been tampered with like the rest of the bike has. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdietz186 View Post
Can anyone out there tell me the resistance of the coils and which wire goes where? ...I have the diagram in the owners manual and most of the pieces seem to resemble what is in the manual. The gen. has 3 wires coming off of it. One is black and it has a ring term to ground it to the case. The second is blue, the third is black with a red trace. The diagram has a terminal "R" and "Ru" with R going to the rectifier and Ru going to the points. Anyone know which is which? The blue wire to ground reads 1.5 ohms and the black/red is showing .5 ohm . ...
Thanks, Bill
Hi Bill,

Are your points separate or located inside the magneto?

As you note the R wire (may be your black wire) comes off the points and connects to the coil. The other wire is for lights (may be your blue wire), should be connected up to the terminal board in the headlight, probably the farthest right junction or the next one to the left (looking from the front of the bike), that connects up to the finned rectifier.

The puller should be same as Motobi egg motor and some Bultacos.

I don't have the resistance of the coils handy but will try to get a measurement for you later today.

Ivan

1954 MV 175 CSS Super Sport
1957 MV 175 CS Modello Sport
1967 Motobi 125 Sport
1974 Ducati 750 GT
Left Coast USA
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Ivan, Thanks for the reply. I have the points separate from the gen. located on the left with the 3 screw cover. From what I've read it is an early 175. The whole harness was bits of wire twisted and taped together and I don't know if the gen. was "repaired" too. I did check for output by kicking it through with a meter attached and got a couple of volts on each lead so I think something is intact.
If you happen to have your headlight apart could you confirm if the gen. lead is connected to the white wire from the rectifier? The white is the one coming off the resistor[coil] on the bottom of the rectifier.
For as simple as these systems are the switches and diagrams are endlessly confusing to me. I've rewired three of these old MVs for the guy that is restoring them and every time my brain winds up in a knot. At least putting the engine together without any info other than timing figures went smoothly[I think, it hasn't run yet, need to get wiring done] It looked like it had been worked on with hammers and dull screwdrivers when I first saw it.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 01:33 AM

Bill,
Just sent you a PM.
Ivan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode