Stumbled across this? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Stumbled across this?

I didn't even know they made anything 'Trials', I just happened to be in the area and went in this unusual car sales garage

http://finance.autoexposure.co.uk/cl...3389122_1a.jpg

(This reply has not been checked for punctuation, grammar, or spelling mistakes and is devoid of any big long cleverwords or condescending manner)

MV's all gone now, still have a soft spot for MV's, waiting for MV to tick all my boxes again.
Previously (and about 40 others)748SP, S4, S4R, 98R1, 2000 F4, F41000S, F41000R, 08R1, 09R1, S1000RR, RSV4 Factory aPRC in Garage now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 05:49 PM

Zowie! That's alot of Sterling. A condition "1" (concours level) books in the USA at $8,000 american dollars.
Or a little more than half of what they're asking.
Murph
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPeoples View Post
Zowie! That's alot of Sterling. A condition "1" (concours level) books in the USA at $8,000 american dollars.
Or a little more than half of what they're asking.
Murph
Elsewhere in this forum is a thread on the 125 and 175 "dirt" MV machines. You can find some good info and photos there that Dorian posted. oh here's the link http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showth...highlight=ISDT

Murph, if this one is a real MV Agusta 175 ISDT machine, those are incredibly rare and special. Built by the factory and raced for the factory. They only made a few. A real one is likely worth 3x or 4x your appraisal!

Comparing this example with MV 175 ISDT photos from the period there are some big differences like the gas tank and the muffler.
Attached Images

1954 MV 175 CSS Super Sport
1957 MV 175 CS Modello Sport
1967 Motobi 125 Sport
1974 Ducati 750 GT
Left Coast USA

Last edited by hulagun; 07-19-2013 at 03:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 03:28 AM

Here's a great shot of the MV CS 175 ISDT race bike back in the day.
Attached Images

1967 Motobi 125 Sport
1974 Ducati 750 GT
Left Coast USA
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 05:03 AM

Hulagan, you say two posts up "Comparing this example with MV 175 ISDT photos from the period there are some big differences like the gas tank and the muffler." and then the pic you post above looks near as darn it identical to the one for sale to me??
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV-Moose View Post
Hulagan, you say two posts up "Comparing this example with MV 175 ISDT photos from the period there are some big differences like the gas tank and the muffler." and then the pic you post above looks near as darn it identical to the one for sale to me??
You may be right, Moose. It's hard to tell since I only have the one photo... need to find more photos of an original 175 ISDT. Also, the photos of the restored bike are not very good.

The mufflers are different tho, compare the fishtail tip and the heat guard. I am mostly just wishing that this bike was still in it's original unrestored condition looking like the old photograph with it's pilot, Ottone.

Thanks!
Attached Images

1967 Motobi 125 Sport
1974 Ducati 750 GT
Left Coast USA
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 11:59 AM

New Site Garage
Noticed the 175 for sale is lacking an air filter. I like how they refer to the price of the time as horrific. Like the price now isn't. I think period photos should be taken with a grain of salt for use as authentication markers. I don't know many trail riders that don't modify their bikes, so it might be likely that Ottone would have "tricked out" his bike at the time for better trail use, while during the restoration they would have gone as original as possible. They definitely cleaned up the tubes and wires over the period photo. I'm no MV historian and will bow to the more experienced on this, but just my humble opinion.

Speed is relative, but fast is fast.

- 2011 brutale 1090R (Matte pearl white/Black)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckler View Post
Noticed the 175 for sale is lacking an air filter. ... it might be likely that Ottone would have "tricked out" his bike at the time for better trail use, while during the restoration they would have gone as original as possible. They definitely cleaned up the tubes and wires over the period photo...
Good eye on the air filter...

Ottone was a test racer for MV. Like today factory race bikes were very special and maintained by factory mechanics, so the old photo is likely representative of how the bike looked as built.

That mess of tubes is an air pump for flats, extra wires may be a backup ignition, extra cables were usually run right along the cable in use. There are engine guards too that I'd worry would more break an ankle than save the bike!

1967 Motobi 125 Sport
1974 Ducati 750 GT
Left Coast USA
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 12:11 PM

New Site Garage
Yeah, those guards look dangerous, a guard plate under it would be better. I've had my foot fold under the pegs a few times and only not get hurt because they COULD slide out. I think ridged pegs in general are a bad choice. I was definitely thinking the hoses were for easy access and repair. Thanks for the heads up on Ottone and the factory racing restrictions.

For my own info, are the pegs on the tank for lashing down travel bags or did they have another function?

Speed is relative, but fast is fast.

- 2011 brutale 1090R (Matte pearl white/Black)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 12:23 PM

I don't know for sure what the tank loops are for. I'd guess they hold a bag or case for tools and a flat repair kit or spare inner tube. I use a magnetic tank bag on my Giro d'California 125 Motobi to carry small items, tools and water. Couldn't manage without it.

1967 Motobi 125 Sport
1974 Ducati 750 GT
Left Coast USA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode