Squalo engine info - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Squalo engine info

I'm planning to build a 175 vintage/historic race bike and would like it to build it around the Squalo design, but technical info is hard to find. Just to get it out of the way, yes, I know that the pack of CB160s will be faster, but if the US ever starts historic rather than vintage racing, the MV 175 will do fine against other race bikes of the day.
The first detail I'm missing is the oil delivery to and through the camshaft- I don't know what parts I'm missing to get from the oil gallery in the head to the camshaft- the picture shows the some of the parts I have, but I don't even know what I'm looking for- must be some sort of a rotary union to get oil into the rotating camshaft- does anyone have a picture or parts book drawing of the oiling system?

Next, I can't find cam timing info- there are vernier adjusters to sync the camshaft to the crankshaft, and another vernier pair to adjust lobe separation, but I'd like to know what the factory specs were.
If anyone has racing experience with the 175 I'd like to talk before I risk damaging hard to replace parts- I am making drawings of parts as I go- doubt if anyone is making the complicated split cam, but fools rush in.
Was there a shop manual published for the 175s?
Any info on the Squalo engine would be appreciated.
Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 04:39 PM

Rick,

I can help, please PM me your direct email I'll send you a Squalo owners handbook in PDF form. I've been racing vintage bikes (including a Honda CB160) for years, and maintain a high interest in the MV Agusta 175 competition models esp Sports and Super Sports. I own a pair of MV 175's and have had to source or produce a few new parts including head gaskets, oil feed parts, and pistons. There's a 175 motor on my bench right now getting a rebuild.

If you have not found it already, there's a Yahoo group where the riding and rebuilding of the MV singles is focused on. The members have a lot of combined knowledge about keeping these wonderful bikes and their motors running. Link: Motoleggera_MV

To Subscribe:
[email protected]

Ivan

1954 MV 175 CSS Super Sport
1957 MV 175 CS Modello Sport
1967 Motobi 125 Sport
1974 Ducati 750 GT
Left Coast USA
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Thanks Ivan.
Rick

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode