Mirrors and indicators.. - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Mirrors and indicators..

Hi chaps (..with all the cerebral jousting that's going on elsewhere on the forum, I thought I'd maybe post up something a little less contentious).

Having run my bike for the last six years with only the smallest bar-end mirror and no indicators whatever, I was almost caught out recently in the act of overtaking a slower vehicle (..on the motorway) when another came up rather quickly behind me. The bar-end mirror I've been using (..a mirror identical to that which can be seen on Adrian's bike) is excellent in that it doesn't vibrate and it gives a wide-angled view; however, the wide angle distorts distance, and on account of the fact that I've been unable to indicate my intentions without removing my hand from the twist-grip, overtaking slower vehicles on fast multi-lane roads has always been a bit fraught with risk!

So.. With this playing on my mind, I've spent the last couple of days trying to sort it. Here's the result (..see pic). Indicators fitted at last (..meaning even more chrome to polish!); and mirrors so large as to look like the horns of a raging bull when the bike's viewed from head-on!

You'll notice too that I've taken off the fairing. It's a passing fad, I believe. We all like a change now and then. Ho hum.

Steve

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2602289...n/photostream/

Last edited by 750four; 06-28-2013 at 01:32 PM. Reason: updated pic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 11:08 AM
Cyber SPOTTER

Hi Steve,

I don't wish to denigrate your changes, and there's always a but that follows those words ......BUT.......just kidding ...I think we've seen enough of the cerebral jousting! I am sure you'll have NO TROUBLE seeing & being seen now.

I have gone in the opposite direction, mirrors off, blinkers off and a small mirror on the right hand side to keep me just on the happy side of legal. The F4 & F3 have certainly made me a habitual head turner as those mirrors are there mainly for government compliance purposes other than my arms I don't believe I have ever seen anything in them So I certainly don't see them as an important item other than legality.

I do like the option of fairing on, fairing off - certainly a change is always nice, sadly I don't have the headlight stays so I don't have that option, hopefully some will turn up eventually.

Before:

After:

My photos seemed to upload ok. Weird what happened to yours.

It would be very interesting to get others opinions on this subject and oh BTW Steve, that bike of yours with blinkers or sans blinkers, with bull horn mirrors or little mirrors simply remains just

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MVA - Maserati Vespa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Agusta
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Cheers Rob

I'm liking how de-cluttered your bike looks now too; it's a little more track ready, for sure!

The headlamp supports on mine aren't original, Rob: they're aftermarket. The beauty of this type is that they can be fitted in seconds (..they simply wrap around the fork stanchions, and bolt up at the back), whereas the originals seem to require removal of the top yoke (triple-clamp).

The mirror you've fitted is the same as the one I've been using until now. I loved the wide-angle view it gave me, but on the higher speed multi-lane roads, I was never quite sure of how much clearance there was twixt myself and the vehicle behind me. Conversely, those I've now fitted are of absolutely flat glass, and give a true measure of distance whilst reducing my peripheral vision. Ho hum. What I really need is an amalgam of both! In fact I've a good mind to stick a couple of small circular blind spot mirrors in the centre of each of these new ones, and see how they perform so adorned. You never know, I might start a trend at my local bike meet

Steve

ps. The settings I'd used on my photo-compression software caused the degradation in my earlier photo upload. I've updated the image with a full-sized one hosted remotely. Much better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750four View Post
Cheers Rob

I'm liking how de-cluttered your bike looks now too; it's a little more track ready, for sure!

The headlamp supports on mine aren't original, Rob: they're aftermarket. The beauty of this type is that they can be fitted in seconds (..they simply wrap around the fork stanchions, and bolt up at the back), whereas the originals seem to require removal of the top yoke (triple-clamp).

The mirror you've fitted is the same as the one I've been using until now. I loved the wide-angle view it gave me, but on the higher speed multi-lane roads, I was never quite sure of how much clearance there was twixt myself and the vehicle behind me. Conversely, those I've now fitted are of absolutely flat glass, and give a true measure of distance whilst reducing my peripheral vision. Ho hum. What I really need is an amalgam of both! In fact I've a good mind to stick a couple of small circular blind spot mirrors in the centre of each of these new ones, and see how they perform so adorned. You never know, I might start a trend at my local bike meet

Steve

ps. The settings I'd used on my photo-compression software caused the degradation in my earlier photo upload. I've updated the image with a full-sized one hosted remotely. Much better!
Looks good Steve,your bike and Rob's are stunning .
By the way where did you get the headlamp supports from?.
Would be good to have the option of with or without fairing.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 04:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
..where did you get the headlamp supports from?

The ones I've used came with the bike when I bought it, Adrian, but they're of the same design as these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTORCYCLE...item4851aafec0

The additional hole near the bolt-hole for the headlamp is of the exact size to take the indicator stalk, so it saved me having to do any bracket bending or drilling!

Steve
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 05:38 AM

Question

Quote:
The ones I've used came with the bike when I bought it, Adrian, but they're of the same design as these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTORCYCLE...item4851aafec0

The additional hole near the bolt-hole for the headlamp is of the exact size to take the indicator stalk, so it saved me having to do any bracket bending or drilling!

Steve
Cool , I actually took the fairing off and was wondering where the indicators would go with the bracket. Just have to find a seller who will ship to Australia . Thanks
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

So, chaps..

When I said I thought I needed mirrors with flat and convex faces, it set me thinking; and with that in mind, here's what I've been working on today.

I bought a couple of cheap 2" diameter convex mirrors and popped them carefully from their alloy housings. Being made from plastic, not glass, this allowed me to reshape their outer edges with a small file in order to have them locate more snugly against the rubber rim of the 'parent' mirrors, and in this position they were attached (..with silicon sealer!) The result can be seen in the first photo. I've yet to ride the bike with these fitted, but the view from the saddle promises much!!

The other photo shows how the bike looks from the front now, and how 'bullish' it's become. The mirrors are multi-adjustable, and can be folded in or out as the need arises. (..there's a spring-loaded detent mechanism within the mirrors' arms, and this holds them in position). With them fully extended, I believe I could now tow a caravan and still see beyond it!

Steve

Last edited by 750four; 06-29-2013 at 02:07 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 11:48 PM
Cyber SPOTTER

That's a great little option - ok they are not OEM headlamp supports but sure beats the hell out dropping the forks slightly or lifting the top off the triple clamps every time you felt like a bit of a change - I'll look into that myself I think

You certainly have all angles covered now with those mirrors Steve - NO WAY anyone is sneaking up on you!

[email protected] tow a caravan - it's extra funny because it is true - LOL.

Ps. Thanks for the compliment Adrian, looking forward to seeing your finished product in due course

MVA - Maserati Vespa
Agusta
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 06:05 AM

Quote:
So, chaps..

When I said I thought I needed mirrors with flat and convex faces, it set me thinking; and with that in mind, here's what I've been working on today.

I bought a couple of cheap 2" diameter convex mirrors and popped them carefully from their alloy housings. Being made from plastic, not glass, this allowed me to reshape their outer edges with a small file in order to have them locate more snugly against the rubber rim of the 'parent' mirrors, and in this position they were attached (..with silicon sealer!) The result can be seen in the first photo. I've yet to ride the bike with these fitted, but the view from the saddle promises much!!

The other photo shows how the bike looks from the front now, and how 'bullish' it's become. The mirrors are multi-adjustable, and can be folded in or out as the need arises. (..there's a spring-loaded detent mechanism within the mirrors' arms, and this holds them in position). With them fully extended, I believe I could now tow a caravan and still see beyond it!

Steve

Great idea Steve, you must be paranoid after your overtaking move. I'm used to no mirrors riding the f4.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 06:11 AM

Quote:
So, chaps..

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVista View Post
That's a great little option - ok they are not OEM headlamp supports but sure beats the hell out dropping the forks slightly or lifting the top off the triple clamps every time you felt like a bit of a change - I'll look into that myself I think

You certainly have all angles covered now with those mirrors Steve - NO WAY anyone is sneaking up on you!

[email protected] tow a caravan - it's extra funny because it is true - LOL.

Ps. Thanks for the compliment Adrian, looking forward to seeing your finished product in due course
That's what I thought and will be getting a set. At least it's a cheap ,quick and easy option when you feel the urge for change.

I mean it , beautiful bike Rob

Actually got a painter coming this week to look at the sport. He is the painter that does all Rob Marro (the egg mans) Ducati's etc bikes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode