First ride on the 350 Sport :-( - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

First ride on the 350 Sport :-(

Just had my first ride on the bike.
Em not to sure really, had a few fuel issues to start with, and gear selection seams vague to say the least.
Also found the front brake a bit week and the steering a bit twitchy, this could be the clip ons.
It might be I only went about 250 yards up the road and my first time on a bike with opposite controls.
I could not sort neutral and first to second well.

So after all that effort I feel a bit down so have parked her up in the garage with the others and decided to have a coffee before I decide what to do?
That said there are still a few things to do to finish it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1999 Ducati 600 Monster
1990 Ducati 851
1979 900SD Darmah
1974 MV Agusta 350B Sport Electronica
1971 Lambretta GP150
1966 Lambretta SX200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 12:02 PM

Stick with it Phil!

They need a fair amount of de-bugging and re-commissioning to get right.

You can always bring it up to me and we can compare it with mine.

The gearchange issue is nearly always external and they are a bit twitchy untill you get used to them. Turn the damper down a few clicks.

The clutches can be a fit funny if they haven't been uesed in years like yours

The front brakes are an aquired taste, especialy with original linnings!

Cheers.

Dorian.

ps; Looks good though mate!
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Thanks Dorian.
Felt like I have been wasting my time. Will have another go later in the week after I've had the front brake apart. Good thing is it sound fantastic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1999 Ducati 600 Monster
1990 Ducati 851
1979 900SD Darmah
1971 Lambretta GP150
1966 Lambretta SX200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 03:16 PM

That's the spirit!

I imagine yours ahs it's original brake linings. They either grab like crazy and have you off or there just not very good.

Make sure there set up OK with both shoes coming on at the same time. If still no good will need a reline.

Have fun!

Dorian
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 03:55 PM

Opposite controls: no problem! You'll get used to that. It's like us Europeans driving on your wrong side of the road. We also get used to that. Well sorta Just kidding. You'll be okay

Trouble finding neutral: since I'm never 100% sure mine is in neutral, I'm always careful with the clutch - stopping at traffic lights etc. And I need to kick the lever as if it were a raw egg otherwise I'm already in gear. Treat it with care, works well that way.

Trouble going from 1st to 2nd: could be cos you only did 250 yards. It's all still cold. It's usually way better once properly warmed up.

Fuel issues: don't know, could be something very simple.

The steering shouldn't be twitchy. That's right.

Like Dorian said: don't give up now
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 10:47 PM
Cyber SPOTTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by oepie View Post
Opposite controls: no problem! You'll get used to that. It's like us Europeans driving on your wrong side of the road. We also get used to that. Well sorta Just kidding. You'll be okay

Trouble finding neutral: since I'm never 100% sure mine is in neutral, I'm always careful with the clutch - stopping at traffic lights etc. And I need to kick the lever as if it were a raw egg otherwise I'm already in gear. Treat it with care, works well that way.

Trouble going from 1st to 2nd: could be cos you only did 250 yards. It's all still cold. It's usually way better once properly warmed up.

Fuel issues: don't know, could be something very simple.

The steering shouldn't be twitchy. That's right.

Like Dorian said: don't give up now
250 yards? Gosh hard task master - agree with Dorian & oepie's post.

As for fuel - if it hasn't run for that long, the carbys/feal lines could probably do with a decent clean out - with my 350 (Ago Tribute) bike after pretty much 15 years of stagnation, I completely rebuilt both carbs (needles, jets etc - parts easily available from the Dellorto mob in the UK) and I replaced all the fuel lines - the difference is shall we say "significant"

Good luck, I am sure you will get it to your liking with some persistence, patience and love.

From experience, if you don't have have at least two of those three attributes it will be an unhappy relationship you've entered into.

MVA - Maserati Vespa
Agusta
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

250 yards as it felt bloody dangerous! We have other road users in the uk.. ;-)

Dorian
Front wheel removed last night and cleaned up some rust where the bike has been sat. This has been cleaned off and the shoes have been deglazed. I hope this will improve that area.
Where do I buy new shoes or do I have to get mine relined and if so who does it?

MVista
the carbs have both been striped checked and rebuilt with new float needles filters and gaskets, one needed a complete choke slide and the other had casting cracks in the float bowl top.
The tank has been cleaned by filling with stones and rotating in a cement mixer. Bothe fuel taps striped and cleaned, found to have rust blocking both reserve ways these have been drilled out as have the main ways too.
Reading Dellorto supplied the parts as they do for my Darmah and Lambrettas.
The problem I'm getting is it dies under load. Drop the throttle and it picks up agin then drops again etc etc.
Got me stumped.
oepie
You know it is the rest of Europe who drive on the wrong side of the road ;-)
Could it be the wrong engine oil I have put 15/40 in it?
As to the controls I know its the fact its my first time doing it after riding bikes for 30years.
Maybe that is the problem there.

So to sum up I was just a bit disappointed after all that work. On top of the terrible UK weather.

1999 Ducati 600 Monster
1990 Ducati 851
1979 900SD Darmah
1971 Lambretta GP150
1966 Lambretta SX200

Last edited by lambretta-boy; 04-15-2013 at 02:50 AM.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambretta-boy View Post
The problem I'm getting is it dies under load. Drop the throttle and it picks up agin then drops again etc etc.
Got me stumped.
Check the fuel cap seal is allowing the tank to breath enough. I recall having a similar problem when I first started testing mine after restoration and had to mess about with it.

My front brakes a woeful and the rear's are less than progressive, I really need to check the fronts out again.

Good luck.

Last edited by 350b; 04-15-2013 at 06:00 AM.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 08:20 AM

I agree with Rob. Check the fuel lines too.
Story about my Centomila: one day I walk into the bike shop in my village, can't even remember what for. The guy sees the classic outside, says: cool! but your fuel lines are bad material blabla. I'll replace them. It was 1 euro or so. I head back home. When accelerating hard, the engine dies. Strange, never did that before. Kickstart, engine starts immediately. Few hundred yards later, same story...
To make a long story short: the idiot at the shop put fuel lines on that were narrower than the original ones. It simply didn't get enough juice. I put the correct size fuel lines back on and never had any trouble like that again.

The oil is not the problem having done only 250 yards.You could ask what Dorian or Rob put in their 350.
And you should really ride at least 20 miles or so.

Do you live in the countryside or something? Every time I'm in the UK, somewhere rural, I'm always amazed by how fast the Brits drive on those narrow, winding roads. Some of you guys are nuts. Or maybe I can't drive...

The weather is sorta improving but it's really taking its time this year. I was out working in the garden yesterday. Sunny, dry, 23°C so very nice weather you'd say but that damn 20+ knots wind spoilt it a bit for me. It's raining again today
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 11:13 AM

Same here with finding neutral. However, after a while you can 'hear' when you're there. Of course, I always release the clutch very carefully when I think I hear that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode