A couple of photos of Museo Agusta - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

A couple of photos of Museo Agusta

I visited the Museo Agusta in Cascina Costa a few weeks ago.

It isn't enormous like some car musea but the quality of the exhibits and the environment and the friendly staff take it to a very, very high level.

Actually, staff is the wrong word to describe the people who run it. They're a group of volunteers, mostly retired Agusta employees, some are still working at the helicopter factory next door.
When they start talking about the olden days, the bikes, the helicopters and the Agusta family you can clearly see that they're a very passionate bunch of guys and girls

There are lots of exhibits from the early days in aviation onwards.

If you speak (a bit of) Italian or if you have someone with you who does and can translate, you'll have a great time. I spent the entire afternoon there.

Here are some photos. It's not all there is. To see the rest you got to go to the Museo yourself

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 11:31 AM

Thank You Johann for the great report. Yes in deed the Museo GLA Agusta is a real treasure. I was many times there, showed it to many peoples. Peoples who saw the displays of Guzzi, Ducati, Aprilia, Bimota etc. and weren't fans of Agusta. But once they saw the display and felt the enthusiasm / emozione they where always deeply impressed and said unisono that it is the greatest of all the italian motorcycle manufacturers museo's. I heard always that they didn't even know about and it is laying not on the usual tour from the alps towards Roma. There are many more photos about the museo in my album as well.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by haupti View Post
Thank You Johann for the great report. Yes in deed the Museo GLA Agusta is a real treasure. I was many times there, showed it to many peoples. Peoples who saw the displays of Guzzi, Ducati, Aprilia, Bimota etc. and weren't fans of Agusta. But once they saw the display and felt the enthusiasm / emozione they where always deeply impressed and said unisono that it is the greatest of all the italian motorcycle manufacturers museo's. I heard always that they didn't even know about and it is laying not on the usual tour from the alps towards Roma. There are many more photos about the museo in my album as well.
Emozione...you found the word that describes it best, Ralf.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 01:24 AM
JSM

That post Mr O is absolutely STUNNING :drum mer: and made my mouth water and ...................in particular, this photo roll on Xmas
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 04:15 AM

nice pics and definitely on the must do list.

I have a hanckering for a MV 98 similar to the dark one. There is someting about the bike which is appealing. I knew that the MV 98 was going to be called a Vespa but MV had to change the name hence MV 98 but I didn't realise some bikes were sold as Vespas. Is the museum bike an early production bike?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 05:05 AM

IIRC the 'Vespa' in the museum is a very early 2 speed pre selector gearbox bike. There were very few of these bikes made. The non 'vespa' badged bikes were also available in 2 or 3 speed.

There was a very rapid developement going on at MV in the late 1940's with the 98 (and also the 125 three speed, almost identicle) bikes being offered in different forms almost every month!!

It must have been a very interesting time to have worked at the factory. I have spoken to a few guys who were around then and they have very fond memories of the very early 2 stroke MV days.

Two stoke MV's have a whole history of there own in MV folk lore and are nearly always dismissed in favour of the more glamourous 4 strokes.

One day i will get around to writting a book on them..........maybe when i retire

Dorian.

ps; Russ. Did you get the invoice from Lois re the parts?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 05:49 AM
JDS
King of Bling

Send a message via MSN to JDS
Cheers for the pictures..

Hi O

Thanks for posting the pictures and I'll have to add a visit to the Museo Agusta in 2012 if possible..

Cheers
John

EMAIL :
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 06:09 AM

Thanks for that Dorian. That's interesting to know about the 2 strokes. I think you need to retire and start writing the book.

cheers
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 08:57 AM

insane love it thanks for posting

Sanity is the playground for the un-imaginative

2005 MV F4 1000S / 2006 Yamaha 50th anniversary R1 / 1998 Aprilia RS 125
1995 Suzuki RGV 250 / 2004 Cagiva Mito EVO2 / 2000 Cagiva mito
1992 Yamaha YZ250 / 1991 Kawasaki kr1s / 2010 Vespa GTS 300
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 11:28 AM

Funnily enough I met an old Italian gent by the name of Denis last Sunday up at the Ace. I had gone up for an early breakfast to give The Flying Ant a run and pray the clutch didn't seize up again! When I came back to my bike this chap was sitting there next to it. He waxed lyrical for about 40 mins on his youth spent working at the MV factory building, among other models, my TR! He was so happy to see the bike and asked me to start her up. He was full of stories. He lives in Greenford, West London and said he'd look out for me next time. If I see him again I'll get his number....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode