Again out of luck - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Again out of luck

Three days to go with my freccia rosso to the MV Agusta Club meeting at St. Goar and the shit hit the fan again.
A last test ride by my best friend, the engine was running fabulously, suddenly lost power and the beauty ended in smoke. Later he disassembled the head and the cylinder to find this.
It is to cry ! Now was everything finally done, the 350 run perfectly in Spa and now it is stranded again. Jesus Christ !
Okay I will be still going to St. Goar and ride a Brutale 1090 instead, there is no crying about spoiled milk.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haupti View Post
Okay I will be still going to St. Goar and ride a Brutale 1090 instead, there is no crying about spoiled milk.
That's the spirit, Ralf! No surrender!

PS I hope the 350 gets fixed soon.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 12:53 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to ErikV
Not good Haupti but you're right no use crying over spoiled milk. What worth a look in to is what caused it. Poor piston material? Detonation? Could be by the look of it. Poor fuel or something to do with ignition timing?

“When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 10:43 PM
Cyber SPOTTER

Sorry to hear of that (substantial) failure Ralf.

I have rebuilt engines on BOTH my 350s, so I feel your pain. I am getting more engine noise that I would like at the moment & am thinking the valve clearances need to be checked but I have only done them 12 -1300 klms since last adjustment.

I think you need to have a special disposition to owm & love one the old classics. I look forward to her revival

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MVA - Maserati Vespa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Agusta
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 11:15 PM
JSM

:bang head:
cry, cry cry cry cry (had to type this as I cant find the little crying dude)

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 01:20 AM
Cyber SPOTTER

It's i.e : cry : minus the spaces, there's no need to find him

MVA - Maserati Vespa
Agusta
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVista View Post
Sorry to hear of that (substantial) failure Ralf.

I have rebuilt engines on BOTH my 350s, so I feel your pain. I am getting more engine noise that I would like at the moment & am thinking the valve clearances need to be checked but I have only done them 12 -1300 klms since last adjustment.

I think you need to have a special disposition to owm & love one the old classics. I look forward to her revival
Oh so true, but aren't they beautiful...

I've been thinking about how to go about re-creating the classics, a bit like the one pictured in JSM's avatar, but with a modern basis, a bit like the Ducati Sport Classic 1000 S, but maybe starting with a Brutale as the donor.

I'm a rider
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 04:47 AM
Cyber SPOTTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Wryt View Post
Oh so true, but aren't they beautiful...

I've been thinking about how to go about re-creating the classics, a bit like the one pictured in JSM's avatar, but with a modern basis, a bit like the Ducati Sport Classic 1000 S, but maybe starting with a Brutale as the donor.
Yes they are indeed beautiful & a world apart when you ride them - you are transformed back to that period, even though modern cars & bikes surround you once you hit a quite stretch of road you can be immersed in the era completely.

I am working on a version of JSM's bike - same donor (350 Ipotesi) but with a 400 big bore kit & Magni parts - hoping to have it finished some time in November & then present to the forum further down the track, I'd like to go to spoked wheels & drum brakes but we'll see..first things first.

The nice thing about bikes like the 1000s is that you get yesteryear looks with current reliability - my wife's Moto Guzzi V7 Racer is the epitome of that but, you know, they are just missing a certain something, you can't build "old" into new..................

MVA - Maserati Vespa
Agusta
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVista View Post
Yes they are indeed beautiful & a world apart when you ride them - you are transformed back to that period, even though modern cars & bikes surround you once you hit a quite stretch of road you can be immersed in the era completely.

I am working on a version of JSM's bike - same donor (350 Ipotesi) but with a 400 big bore kit & Magni parts - hoping to have it finished some time in November & then present to the forum further down the track, I'd like to go to spoked wheels & drum brakes but we'll see..first things first.

The nice thing about bikes like the 1000s is that you get yesteryear looks with current reliability - my wife's Moto Guzzi V7 Racer is the epitome of that but, you know, they are just missing a certain something, you can't build "old" into new..................
I hear that!

I'm a rider
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Thank You guys for the nice words. It is just such a shame after everything came finally together and the bike was completely new build up. And it seams that my 350 doesn't like the MV Agusta Germany Club Meeting. The trail of failures is just frustrating.
2007 first attempt in Berlin. My ill Baby had to many flaws in the electric, like alternator producing no reliable power, the regulator overcharged or didn't charged the battery, one day the other day the other way. The carburetors were leaking externally and internally flooding the engine if not running at first kick. So i missed the tour around Berlin.
2008 Engine completely rebuild, oil in and a test ride. Everything worked fine. Next day a hugh puddle of oil under the bike. Later we found out that a little piece of the crank case central split gasket was folded over during assembling. To late to fix it for Distelhausen and I rode there a Brutale 910R.
2009 Engine again rebuild, new carburetors and it looked good. My wife there in the Sauerland with me that was great already. Okay it rained on Saturday and considering the ill electric I skipped the Tour. Sunday morning ready for the track and at the second kick the kick starter broke. Okay with some pushing i was riding both stints.
2010 The drum brakes were at a special work shop to get overhauled. The didn't got ready and my 350 was standing in the workshop lacking on wheels. I rode in Neuburg a. d. Donau a new F4 1000 and a F4 1078.
2011 Chassis completely overhauled, bushings of the rear swing arm replaced with needle bearings, new Ceriani shocks, everything resprayed (because of the acid damage from the previous years electric problems). New cable harness, new ignition coils, new alternator everything electrically complete up to date. New Ceriani replica drum brakes for the front, they are absolutely fantastic ! Everything seamed to be ready for the show. And now is the piston shot and I will ride in a few days a Brutale 1090.
Okay we will install new Mahle pistons, take the engine again completely apart and restore it again. I'm pretty confident that the failure has to do with material aging. Early ignition is clearly hearable by strong knocking and this wasn't happen at all, the engine run just fine. I fill my bike always with lead substitute additive. The valves and seats are just fine. Its just to lose your mind and faith over it. But so there is something to do for the next half year. And Freccia Rosso will be back on road and track next Year. Hopefully better than ever.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode