fitting Magni 1/2 fairing - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

fitting Magni 1/2 fairing

hi

I'm replacing the full fairing with a Magni 1/2 fairing on my America. The brackets supplied to attach the rear of the fairing are to be fixed with the two outer bolts of the rear cam shaft cover which is held on with dome nuts. The cam shaft cover has some recesses to allow for the washer and the dome nuts. My problem is that the threads for the dome nuts do not protrude far enough above the cam covers to fit the supplied fairing bracket and the nut.

One solution is to grind the cam covers enough to allow for the bracket and nut but I don't wish to that.

Any ideas as to how to fit the fairing brackets?

cheers

Russ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 11:29 AM

Hi Russ

How about removing the cam covers and undoing the stud a little where it screws into the head? I've a Magni fairing which fits the same way - although I've never had it on there - and the brackets holding it to the cam-covers are only very thin (maybe 2mm?). You'll need to unscrew the stud only a very short way if your brackets are the same as mine, so it shouldn't really be a problem. The nut affixing the cam-shaft should still torque down sufficiently. Got to be better than grinding down the cam covers

Steve
Attached Images

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 04:49 AM Thread Starter

thanks. I will remove the covers and replace the studs with longer ones.

cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 03:09 PM

Hi Russ

Are you sorted with the new studs yet? Having checked the brackets on my fairing at the weekend, I found they are very thin indeed and easily able to fit beneath the domed nuts affixing the cam covers. They look to be the same 'spring steel' type brackets which are used to affix the horn onto the chassis: just a chromed steel strip with a hole at each end. The hole centres are just right, and with a thick rubber washer on there the fairing slotted on with no problem. It's very firm too. (Take a look at the first photo. I'm guessing your brackets must be different?)

This is the first time I've had the Magni fairing fitted, and I have to say it's made the ride a great deal more comfortable than it was with the full fairing. It's great to be able to grip the tank with my knees, rather then ride with my legs splayed akimbo the whole time. Much easier on the hips! The engine sounds a great deal quieter from the saddle too - if any classic MV can truly be called quiet I'm not sure I'll be leaving it on for long though; I think these fairings are better suited to the styling of the America.

Steve
Attached Images

Last edited by 750four; 07-11-2011 at 05:50 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

hi Steve

Pulled the cam cover off and decided to get slightly longer studs. the problem was that my studs had been screwed in a bit further than most (with one cut off) resulting in not enough bolt protruding above the cover for the plate and the dome nut. just need to source a couple of the 'squishy' gaskets as two were damaged.

The Magni 1/2 fairing looks great on the America plus it shows the engine off which is the main reason for changing from the full fairing. I'm also told the carbies work better with out the full fairing and even better again without the side covers due to better air flow to them.

I now have a full factory fairing with almost all the brackets (missing the indicator brackets but then my America doesn't have indicators ) for sale.

cheers

Russ
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmevi125s View Post
I now have a full factory fairing with almost all the brackets (missing the indicator brackets but then my America doesn't have indicators ) for sale.
Don't do it! It'd be hard to get hold of another if you ever came to regret selling!

As to the America's side-covers restricting air-flow to the carbs.. I've read reports in a couple of modern-day 'classic bike' magazines which say much the same thing in regard to the Sport; although in this case its not side-covers but the rider's legs which are disrupting the flow. (..I can't say I've noticed this at all when riding mine, so maybe me holding my legs akimbo hasn't been such a bad thing after all? )
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 03:01 AM

That has to be the sexiest bike ever made.

'70 Triumph T100R Flat Track
'74 350 Elettronica
'64 Tevere Motocarro
'76 350 Ipotesi
'68 Vespa Super
'64 Vespa Cushman 150
'73 Honda Z50

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode