:: Bolt from the blue.... - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

:: Bolt from the blue....

Here's the start of what I hope will be a lovely story..... you've gotta love the power of the InterWeb!

Just got back from 11 days house renovation trip in the wilds of France and found this in my email:

"Dear Sheriff - I saw this photo on the bike museum website also. Carlo Signorio is my grandfather and you stated there that this bike was originally owned by him. I would love to know more about it if you can. My email address is [email protected]"

I've sent the lady scans of the original log-book amongst other bits and pieces. I still have the original Turin plate which I think I might offer her.

The Flying Ant has come full circle.

Nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 03:14 AM

Thumbs up

Now that's cool!

Maybe there are still some photographs of him and your bike in the family's old photo albums.

I like stories like these.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 04:11 AM
Cyber SPOTTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by oepie View Post
Now that's cool!

Maybe there are still some photographs of him and your bike in the family's old photo albums.

I like stories like these.
+1.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MVA - Maserati Vespa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Agusta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 04:18 AM

It's always good to know the history/origins of a classic bike but even better if you gat to meet a previous owner. Well done. Now all I need is for Nick Mason (from Pink Floyd) to give me a call.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 06:10 AM Thread Starter

Today's email reveals some more about The Flying Ant's pedigree and the strong possibility of some old photos. According to the Bonham's auction blurb, Eric Houseley acquired the TR sometime around 1990 and it was never used. Sometime in the late Seventies an enthusiast saw the machine in poor state at the family's hotel on the Isle of Man. He acquired it and brought it back to the hotel for showing the following year, as recounted below.....

"Dear Jon

Wow - thanks for this - I spoke to my Mum earlier this evening and I think I know a little more about the bikes history, although I really need to talk to my Dad to be definitive about it.

I think the bike was bought by my grandfather Carlo Signorio for my uncle Guiseppi. Zio Guiseppi was however too young in 1955 to own a bike so my Grandad bought it in his name.

I am puzzled by the address in Turin, as we have always lived in a small village near Montegrosso d'Asti, however my other uncle Agostino and my father both were in Turin at that time.

My Mum reckons that we brought the bike from Italy to the Isle of Man (where I still live) in the late 70's. the bike was a mess at that time, it was used to get from one side of the vine yards to the other quickly and was kept in the stable with the ox and goats.

We owned a hotel back then and one of our guests at the TT offered to buy the bike and took it home - he returned the following year and brought the bike with him and he had transformed it and restored it back to its original glory.

I know we have photos of the bike in Italy - I'm not so sure if we have photos of the bike with Carlo - I certianly can't recall any. But my Mum says we have before and after photos of when we sold the bike and when it returned the following year.

Anyway, this was a short message to say thanks for the email - and I will let you know when I know more for sure and if I can get my hands on some photos.

Francesca"
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 06:41 AM

One of the better Dear Jon letters that I have seen.
Congrats!

B750 and B1078 RR both gone now.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."~Mark Twain
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 05:53 AM Thread Starter

Today Francesca has some more details.... and a really cool photo!

"Hi Jon

I have now spoken to my Dad and know a little more.

The bike belonged to my Dad not my uncle. My Dad is Giovanni Signorio. In July 1955 my Dad would have been 18, so I'm unsure why my grandfather bought it instead of my Dad, unless it was an 18th present. My Dad lived in Turin at that time, hence the address in Turin.

My Dad left Italy in the late 50's and moved to London. He left the bike in Italy and it was used by my uncle and was stored in the stables.

In the 70's we moved to the Isle of Man and my Dad brought the bike from Italy to the island.

Around 1976 TT a gentleman from Derby way came to the island and saw the bike. He restored bikes and my Dad let him take the bike home. He returned the following year with the bike fully restored the cost of which was about 800 back then! He also gave my Dad a box of the parts which had been replaced including the original MV badge. My Dad reckons he still has this somewhere (although knowing him - I wouldn't bet on it). He also has lots of photos before and after restoration - but he reckons they are in Italy. My brother found the one attached which was taken about 1977 following restoration.

When my Dad moved to Kegworth Leics in the late 80's he took the bike with him. In 1991 (or there abouts) he sold the bike to a guy from Loughborough, he thinks he had a garage of sorts but isn't sure. He says it is a great bike, the only bike he ever owned, and he loved it and is glad that you enjoy it so much.

Anyway that's it for now. As for my Grandfather being born in Los Angeles, his family emigrated to California, taking the vines from Italy with them. For some reason, my grandfather came back when he was just a toddler. The family stayed though and most still live in California and some still farm the same land growing the same grapes that we grow in Italy.

Francesca"

So here's the full history afaik:

In July 1955 Carlo Signorio buys an MV Agusta Turismo Rapido from a Turin dealership for his 18 years old son, Giovanni, who was living in the city. As the family live some 50 km distant, perhaps it was to enable him to visit more easily.

In the late 50s Giovanni moves to London leaving the machine with his brother who uses it and stores it in the stables in the family vineyards.

In the early 70s Giovanni moves to the Isle of Man where he and his family operate a hotel. Giovanni has the bike sent over from Italy.

Sometime during the 1976 TT event an enthusiast from Derby saw the bike and offered to restore it. Giovanni lets him take the machine and he returns the following year having done 800 worth of repairs - a significant sum at the time! The anonymous enthusiast also returns a box of
parts and an original MV badge.

In the late 80s Giovanni moves to Kegworth in Leicestershire and takes along the TR.

Sometime around 1991 Giovanni sells the TR to Eric Houseley from Loughborough, a Junior TT winner himself, Houseley owns and operates a garage at Clay Cross and also collects classic machines.

Throughout all this time the TR is never registered in the UK and retains its original Turin plate TO 137138.

After the death of Mr. Houseley in 2004, his widow sells his collection at auction at Bonhams, Hampshire on 10th September 2005. The TR is lot 635 and has a list price of 1,000 - 1,400.

A Dealer in West Sussex, David Evans, buys the bike for 1,208 and the current owner, Jon Knowles, buys the bike from him for 1,500 in May 2007.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 07:31 AM
Cyber SPOTTER

Amazing and Beautiful

Thank you so much for posting all that. This forum just gets better and better.

MVA - Maserati Vespa
Agusta
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 09:28 AM

Great history lesson, has to be very gratifying.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 02:20 AM Thread Starter

:: Another photo...

Sent Francesca my potted history and she replied with another great photo:

"Hey Jon

that's pretty good - my Dad says they definitely bought the bike in Asti rather than Turin, other than that I reckon that is a pretty fair reflection of what we have pieced together so far. So you now have a history of the 56 years of the bike's history.

If my Dad finds the box of parts I will let you know. As for the number plate - I would love to have that, perhaps it is a good excuse to come to the Isle of Man later in the year if you needed one! TT is obviously good for enthusiasts, but there are more vintage bikes around for the Grand Prix in August.

Not sure if you have seen but there is another photo of my Dad with the bike on Facebook taken in 59, and Carlo is in the background."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode