I was... - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Cyber SPOTTER

I was...

Also stuck by the side of the road yesterday -following on from gunnar's thread on my 350 Ipotesi - 5.9klms from home (how do I know exact distance - this will be revealed later in the post).

I had some clutch slipping issues, so yesterday morning I made some adjsutments & took the bike out for a test run. Normally I don't wear ATGATT when test riding but as the slipage occured at 120kph + I thought I thought I would.

Anyhow building up speed - all good then it just dies at 110kph!! I coast it to the side of the road, it feels like a fuelling issue, visual check reveals BOTH filters empty - I look & notice the a lugg on the fuel pump has snapped off (yes a 1975 bike with a fuel pump)!

I don't want to leave the bike by the freeway - so I start pushing until I get to a 'safe place' but I can't find one, so I keep pushing -1hr & 20 minutes later I am home - I pushed up hills & coasted down.

I got home my Skype went off & it was Noel (theknurl) - he was never seen me a handsome shade of MV RED - I was DEAD - his laughter kind of helped as it made me laugh.

Went down into the garage - soldered the lugg back on, which wasn't easy because of where it snapped, I had to build a 'solder base & then work the lugg into it - wrapped it in expoxy to strenghten it (Noel's idea ) waited a couple hours for it to harden properly connected it - turned the key, kicked it & started first time

Maybe some people don't get it & perhaps it's not for everyone but I loved the adventure, protecting my baby - fixing her & then riding her - knowing that sooner or later she'll test me & my repair skills again ( as you simply can't get some parts) - keeps your mind sharp & is character building

Now as to that distance, after dinner last night, after everyone in the family laughed at me & could not believe that I did that, curiosity got the better of us, we jumped in the car & re-traced the trip measuring it out - 5.9klms ambient temp 23deg cel in full leathers & helmet which I wore as I didn't want it scratching the bike.

Every bone & muscle in my body aches like hell today - still I wouldn't swap it for anything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MVA - Maserati Vespa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Agusta

Last edited by MVista; 04-14-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 08:42 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to The_castle
Ah, the humble motorcycle. You take the good with the bad with an even hand. That's my philosophy too Rob.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Cyber SPOTTER

I think that's the only philosophy to have Dave otherwise the humble motorcycle will provide very little enjoyment indeed

On a separate note, I missed you last weekend, we booked our flights to the US - Lou & I wanted a chat with you & the lovely Melanie about Bubbalicious plans/arrangements. No biggie we'll talk soon

MVA - Maserati Vespa
Agusta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 02:18 AM

Rob...
i feel your pain. My friend has a CB350 Four that NEVER has problems and constantly gives me a hard time for there always being something with the bikes I have.
I used to have an A350 Condor. HUGE bike that weighed a ton.
I had a problem with the petcocks and lost power about 4 miles from the closest gas station and pushed it all the way there.
but then again what would we gripe about if we didnt have these problems right?

'70 Triumph T100R Flat Track
'74 350 Elettronica
'64 Tevere Motocarro
'76 350 Ipotesi
'68 Vespa Super
'64 Vespa Cushman 150
'73 Honda Z50
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Cyber SPOTTER

Ha ha no pain Alex all good fun

It's character building - after all, when between a rock & hard place who would you rather be your soft no problem 350 Honda riding mate or a hardened old school MV rider? No brainer really

Ah the mighty Condor - they were the Swiss army bikes weren't they? using Ducati 350 single power plant? Cool bike, pushing that thing 4 miles certainly trumps my push - my hat's off to you

MVA - Maserati Vespa
Agusta
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 04:05 AM

It was a super rad bike. Definitely for use against zombies and the apocalypse. It was so heavy I couldnt even get it on the centerstand. And yeah it was fun but super underpowered.
And I think I would rather walk than ride the honda....

'70 Triumph T100R Flat Track
'74 350 Elettronica
'64 Tevere Motocarro
'76 350 Ipotesi
'68 Vespa Super
'64 Vespa Cushman 150
'73 Honda Z50
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 03:13 AM
Established Member

Hi Rob,

I can feel your pain.....in 1999, when I started collecting and restoring historic bikes the same situation happend to me. The one and other muscle still hurts... :-)

Tomorrow I will drive a claasic motorcycle mountain race race, about 35 km far from Vienna and I hope that the bike brings me reliably home again.

Helmut
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
Cyber SPOTTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnar View Post
It was a super rad bike. Definitely for use against zombies and the apocalypse. It was so heavy I couldnt even get it on the centerstand. And yeah it was fun but super underpowered.
And I think I would rather walk than ride the honda....
And I would rather push an MV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV Helmi View Post
Hi Rob,

I can feel your pain.....in 1999, when I started collecting and restoring historic bikes the same situation happend to me. The one and other muscle still hurts... :-)

Tomorrow I will drive a claasic motorcycle mountain race race, about 35 km far from Vienna and I hope that the bike brings me reliably home again.

Helmut
Since 1999 Helmut??? OMG

Good luck tomorrow, I wish I could be there - I love Vienna it's one of my favourite cities in the world but I have not been there since 1989 -10 years before you hurt your muscle

Ride safely & please please post some pics of the event if you can

Go Helmi & the might MV

MVA - Maserati Vespa
Agusta
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 04:18 AM
Established Member

Hi Rob,

thx, the race was great. We had great weather and all went fine. My small MV did a good job - the only problem was the old fuel inside the tank (5 months). Before I park my bikes for the hibernation I refuel the petrol tank. Because of the new fuel (political theme, bio-shit- gas) my bike did not have the full power - the engine sputtered a little.

Some photos from the event you can find in my album:

http://gallery.mvagusta.net/mvhelmi/photo/54667/

cheers

Helmut
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Cyber SPOTTER

WOW Helmut, looks fantastic.

I bet you had a fantastic time & you ran the little beast with the open Magni pipe I ran mine like that to the Sydney festival & it shocked many people

You were interviewed on the start line? I did not know I was friends with a mega star You are full of surprises

The most important thing is that you enjoyed yourself & that you 100% safe after the race

I'll post you pics here so that they are easy to see

MVA - Maserati Vespa
Agusta

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode