750S questions - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

750S questions

I am new in the forum. I live in Spain.

I have a 1974 750S from 2003 (I bought it to a friend's father). Bike is on the road, in running condition, and it needs some maintenance.

I have several questions:

- Which tyres do you recommend? I was thinking on Avon

- Which oil do you recommend? Mineral or synthetic? (I have read a post speaking about the wonders of the full synthetic Amsoil 20W50)

- Which spark plugs?

- I have bought some pieces to UK MV Club (very nice people btw), but they had no rear light. Do you know where could I find one? It seems that some Laverda and Ducati used the same light.

Thanks in advance. It has been very good surprise for me to find this kind of forum for our classic bikes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 09:29 AM

Hi gafas, welcome to the forum. Good to see another 750S owner here!

I have Metzeler Perfect ME99 tyres on mine. They're a good tyre so far as I can tell. They wear well, and perform well enough for a road bike tyre. I'll admit they've not really been tested on mine by any particularly hard riding, but they have been out in the rain a few times (..and snow!) and the bike's not felt insecure on them in any way. My bike handles really well on them too. Never had it weave or wobble.

As to oil: Ha! Everyone will tell you a different tale, but.. my bike runs better on synthetic. The engine performs better and the gearbox performs better. Using it has had no detrimental effect on the clutch, either. 20W/50 Amsoil is what I use, and until I get engine/gearbox problems from using it I aim to stick with it.

Plugs in mine are NGK B9ES. The bike's always a first time starter (..sometimes after its stood for weeks!) and it pulls well through the revs without any misfiring etc. I've no reason to change plugs.

I can't suggest a source for the 'original' rear light if the UK Club can't help you. Maybe you should have a look at the links provided by one or two of the other 'classic' owners in earlier posts. There are many places supplying parts for old Italian machines now, and you're sure to find a match for the 'round' type rear light. The earlier bikes had a rectangular fitment rear light, and I'd guess this may be harder to match - although there are some here which look just the same. This place can supply the support brackets too if you needed one: http://guzzino.com/talisibu.html )

If you need any service data just let me know and I'll check the manuals. In the meantime, you can download a copy of the 750S handbook here:
http://www.mv-agusta-club-schweiz.ch...ndbuecher.html

Good luck with it (..and post a few pics if you can. It's always good to see another classic MV!)

Steve

Last edited by 750four; 02-17-2011 at 12:09 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 12:20 PM

Can't coment much more than Steve's reply, exept that plugs should be NGK B8ES. All MV 'fours' run this plug except the standard America which uses a B7ES. Steve's bike has a almost unique set up so may require the '9's. Gafas's bike is using the standard Dellorto UB's so in a more 'relaxed' state of tune.

Dorian.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 12:02 AM

Welcome gafas

Congrats on the Sport. You may find some useful information about classic MVs ov www.thebikemuseum.com It's also a good website to just peruse as it is just about classic MVs.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks for the answers.

- On tires, I would like to go to something more classic than the Metzeler's. Have you heard anything good or bad about Heidenau?

- I will try Amsoil, Steve.

- I understand than B8ES and BR8ES is the some for this bike, isn't it?

- I am trying to find the rear light that fits to my bike. I have another square rear light, I think that fits previous bikes:

About pictures, I have not lot of them... Here is one I took in the garage, near my F4S 750:

Here you can check how ugly is the rear light has my bike:

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 04:53 AM

Nice pair gafas!

Yes, that looks like the tail-light unit from the earlier 750S, but it would suit your bike fine if you're not fussed about absolute originality. I wouldn't think many would know the difference! (I expect you'd find a round replacement at the guzzino site though).

Never heard of Heidenau tyres, so can't really comment. I've a Guzzi Le Mans which runs well on Pirelli Sport Demons, so if I had to switch tyres I'd maybe try a set of these on the MV if they'd go on there. (Not sure if they're tubed though??) I'm betting that many MVs of the 1970's were run on Pirelli Phantoms, and the modern-day Demons are really quite similar. They wouldn't look out of place.

The B8ES and BR8ES spark plugs are supposedly to the same spec., but the B(R)8ES incorporates a resistor in an attempt to better suppress electronic interference. This might be important in some applications (..such as where the bike is running with on-board computers). Here's a comment I found with ref., to their use in older machines though:

According to Eric Gorr's book...

"The resistor in the plug demands higher voltage to jump the gap. On older bikes, where components of the ignition system are deteriorating, resistor plugs might foul more often than non-resistor plugs, or run rough because the ignition system cannot produce enough voltage to jump the gap. I don't recommend using resistor plugs because they are overpriced and offer no advantage in performance."

I guess you pays your money and takes your choice!

Steve

Last edited by 750four; 02-19-2011 at 05:13 AM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 05:25 AM

Oil

Hola Gafas y bievenido al forum.
Si buscas acietes ponte en contacto conmigo.
Estoy en España tambien.
Un saludo, Frank

oldnfast(ish) Racing towards old age
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 04:52 AM Thread Starter

Finally I got a round rear light.

It makes great difference from the one installed on the bike:

The round one, already installed:

I have also changed the plastics of the turn lights. About them, I have seen a lot of MV's without them, and I can see that they are Gonelli - Made in Spain. Was it a difference for the spanish market?

I have received as well the B8ES spark plugs and tha Amsoil.

For Frank: Ya había pedido el aceite para cuando lei tu mensaje. ¿Qué aceites llevas? Me puedes enviar un correo a isantillan'arroba'ya.com
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 09:17 AM
Established Member

Hi Gafas,
I use on some od my bikes Heidenau tyres and I'm very satisfied with them over years now. Green light from my side to use that classic sport tyres on your bike.

Cheers
Helmut
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafas View Post
Finally I got a round rear light.

It makes great difference from the one installed on the bike:

I have also changed the plastics of the turn lights. About them, I have seen a lot of MV's without them, and I can see that they are Gonelli - Made in Spain. Was it a difference for the spanish market?

Yes, that light looks a lot better gafas.

I've seen them with and without the turn signals too, but I don't think any left the factory with turn signals fitted. Maybe they were fitted by dealerships at the point of sale?

I have a set of 'lucas' type turn signals for mine (same as those fitted to early Laverda triples), and my bike even has a couple of 'idiot light' repeaters set into its cockpit support, but I have put them in a box for storage. I seem to manage OK on the roads without them, simply by being observant and being correctly positioned at all times.

Steve

ps. An original 750s full-fairing sold on eBay for under £200 just last week. Maybe you were the buyer gafas? I was tempted to bid for it myself, and have it painted red and silver to give me the optional colour scheme, but decided against it. Oddly, my bike handles better with its fairing on. It feels a little 'light-headed' if I run without it!

Last edited by 750four; 03-01-2011 at 05:51 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode