Dicephering Frame/Engine 'VIN' Numbers? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Dicephering Frame/Engine 'VIN' Numbers?

Hi all, I've done some searching for information on Frame and Engine numbers and their meaning, but can not find much.

Is there a way to dicepher these numbers? I'm mainly trying to figure out what year a particular Centomila is.

Is there a certain number in the Frame Number that defines the year?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 10:02 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
The 17 digit VIN numbers we now have (with a year designator as part of the formula) did not come into existence until 1982.

Prior to that every manufacturer had their own serial number system. You will need a chart from MV that reveals model and production time frame for a given serial number.

I am sure someone on this forum has that info.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 11:12 AM

I think there was a thread about that a long time ago.

And if my memory doesn't let me down, I think we couldn't really figure out what the system was. Maybe for some bikes, but definitely not for all.

Maybe the old guys at the MV museum know. Or the old guys here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 12:09 PM
Established Member

I know that some models of the 50th had the year of production stamped inside the cylinder head and/or some other engine spares.
I think that it's impossible to know the year of production with only the VIN unless to refer to official MV documents about the production.
May be Dorian could help on this thread ?

The difference between a man and a child is the price of his toys
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 02:59 PM

Hi All.

Ah, the old numbers question.

In general most MV's used the first 3 numbers to identify which model it was and then the rest as a seriel number. ie; 235= Tevere, 250= Raid 250cc, 255= Raid 300, 221= America, 218= 125 Sport etc, etc.

Theres not a lot of logic to these numbers and you just get to know them in time or by using the parts books a lot, as in general, the first 3 numbers are also used in the full parts number. This tells you which model that part was originaly made for. It's not uncomon to find a early two stroke part still being used on a 750 America for instence.

GTW36 is right in that many MV's have the year and month stamped inside major castings, although not all. The 175's are best for this, although only last week i came across two 175 OHC crankcases that didn't have these markings, so there you go.

We hold a lot of the old factory records in the UK Club, but by no means all. Over the years we have also built up are own data to help in dating and identifying bikes. The knowledge in the club is also extensive and i would suggest that this is one of the best places to go to date and identify a bike. We supply official letters to allow registration and are approved by the goverment.

The factory museum does also have some records but can be very unreliable and have a habit of telling you what you want to hear. I came across a guy recently you said he had a 1943 MV 125 2 Stroke and it had been dated by 'the factory'. Funny that MV didn't sell there first bike untill 1946 and the 125 didn't come out untill 1948!

So to sum up, there isn't an easy answer or complete and reliable list of classic MV numbers. The best thing to do is ask around, compare with other bikes of the period, check specification against other machines and come up with an educated guess. Some machines are very easy while others can be a pain in the ARSE, especialy if the owners doesn't want to believe that his machine is not what he thought or as told by the 'man down the pub'.

Resom, if you wish just, contact me and i will try and help.

All the best and Happy Christmas.

Dorian.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode