:: A couple more sleep and The Flying Ant will be reborn! - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

:: A couple more sleep and The Flying Ant will be reborn!

A heart-lung transplant involving a rare spare 2-bolter TR125 engine obtained through the MV Club of GB (Big up to Dorian & Lois) has rejuvenated the Old Lady and now I'm waiting for the tank to be sealed. Amazingly Dorian found me a spare engine that was within a couple of hundred numbers of my own and the guys at Big Jim's Rims have painstakingly built the best one out of the two. We couldn't get a decent rear sprocket so one had to be made up. Anyhow, here's some pictures of where things stand as of Saturday. Won't be long now and I'll be back on the road - just in time for another white-out probably.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sheriffof0/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 09:45 AM

Thumbs up

Great news, Jon!

Keep us posted on how she runs after the surgery.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 08:48 AM

Hi Jon.

I'm very glad you managed to find all that you needed from the two engines. I must admit i was expecting an order for a 'few more bits and bobs', so well done in getting it all sorted. It's looking great by the way, the 'new' engine has cleaned up a treat.

Hope your back on the road soon.

All the best to you.

Dorian.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 04:55 PM
Cyber SPOTTER

That's sweet. It's truly lovely to see things like this coming along. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Dorain & Lois a kind of surrogate parents to many of these machines, certainly played a big part in the rebirth of my 350

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MVA - Maserati Vespa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Agusta
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 11:26 PM

Nice

B4 750S [sold]
B3 675R [waiting]
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

Well almost, seems she's blowing a bit of smoke at start up before settling down. So the guys at Big Jim's are fiddling and scratching heads.... any thoughts from the forum that I might pass along? They might as well hang on to her over Christmas to iron this out as I'm away for 10 days anyhow.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Ha! Seems they've found the problem....

Whilst they had the bike I asked them to reline the tank. They had some difficulty with the weather conditions and the lining product didn't set properly. This was partially dissolving in the fuel and causing the White smoke. This was deduced by attaching a second petrol supply which caused no problems.

looks like they'll have to reline the tank again....
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

Well, it took longer than the few sleeps I anticipated but this morning, just in time for some proper shitty London weather, The Flying Ant was reborn! Sounds better, runs better & smoother, idles better, gear changes feel smoother.... in short BETTER. Rode her from Ealing Broadway to Central London in the pissing rain with a big smile on my face. So, we'll take it easy for 500 miles and then tighten that head and give her a ruddy good fettling at the first opportunity. Big Up to Dorian again for helping out with knowledge and club spares without which &c.... I put the NOS rear light on and that looks right proper. The tank sealant seems to be behaving itself now so the fuel supply should be sorted. Plus I've found another carb on Italian eBay which I think I'll snaffle if I can so I can have one nicely overhauled whilst still reading. I've got a bucket-load of spares for future use too. Photos and video soon. Thanks are also due to Big Jim's Rims in Ealing Broadway who have done a lovely job really. Happy New Year to one and all.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 08:05 AM

Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode