Manx GP (..Classic MV lap record) - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 06:31 AM Thread Starter

Manx GP (..Classic MV lap record)

Having just received the latest edition of MV News, I read of the fantastic 109.089mph lap set by Alan Oversby on the Kays' 500cc 3cyl MV replica. Congrats to the whole team

..but this lap time, set by a very small team of guys with very limited resources, is faster than any of the 'works' MVs of yesteryear could manage (..even with Ago himself aboard!) Why is this? Does the Kays' access to modern technology mean that their bike is simply faster/more capable that the 'works' machines of old? Is it lighter? More powerful? It shouldn't be, if it's a true replica - should it? At least not to any great extent. Could it be that Alan Oversby is a (gulp!) better rider than even Ago was around the Island?

..or can it be put down simply to 'improvements' in the road surface around the course, better friction/brake pad material (..and modern tyres with waaay more grip!) If so, we may have to re-evaluate how the lap times of yesteryear compare with those of today.

Last edited by 750four; 10-29-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 06:47 AM
I think your last sentence sums it up. The road surfaces are much better and modern tyres far superior to those that were around even 20 years ago let alone 40.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Keep one wheel down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But.....a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 09:52 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Tires.....compared to the 60's and 70's...well, there is no comparison.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 11:26 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by john View Post
I think your last sentence sums it up. The road surfaces are much better and modern tyres far superior to those that were around even 20 years ago let alone 40.
The track is way quicker now than it was when I moved here in 1976, there is no comparison.

Obviously the tyres are light years ahead of what they were then when Dunlop KR76 triangular s were the norm.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adecritten View Post
Obviously the tyres are light years ahead of what they were then when Dunlop KR76 triangular s were the norm.

That brings back memories Ade, KR76's, went through a few sets of those back then!

Keep one wheel down!

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But.....a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 03:38 PM

We were in the paddock just by theses guys, the bike was superb and the old guy who owned the team was riding round on a Brutale !! Didn't get any pics as too busy with pit stuff !! sorry...

"We are not here for a long time, we are here for a good time" Guy Martin Road Racer.....
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 11:29 PM

I'd also hazard a guess that the suspension on the Kay MV is quite a bit better than that of the works bikes and combined with modern tyre technology ...

Slightly different but along the same lines at this years Island Classic, Steve Martin (endurance world champion and ex WSB rider) lapped Phillip Island in 1.40.1 on a 1981 Suzuki GSX 1100 on skinny tyres and standard (or just a few mods) frame. I should also add that the bike had 175 hp at the back wheel. It was really impressive watching him exit turn 12 (onto the main straight) with the front wheel airborne and the bike wobbling (frame flex) all over the place. Hde was aclass above all the other competitors.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 05:00 AM

Lightbulb It could be much quicker.

The talk in the pub revolved around this thread last night, it was agreed that if you had someone like Ian Hutchinson, John Mc Guinness or Guy Martin riding the bike the speed would have been considerably greater. With the greatest of respect Alan Oversby is not a top class TT course expert.

Some of the lads reckoned that in fact it wasn't that impressive all things considered, transpose this same bike with all its modifications back in time together with the course changes and Agostini would have been much quicker.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 08:24 AM

Granted there are track improvements better tyres and the brakes are improved but Brian Richards goal was to try and beat Ago's time with a bike as close to original spec as possible.

The team attends the annual Bob Mac Classic race at East Fortune on the way home from TT and I have watched the development over the last
few years. In 09 it was by far the quickest bike on track but was running out of brakes after 6 laps. hence the change from original equip.

As you suggest Alan Oversby not an expert ,be interesting to see a lap time with Hutchie onboard, but remember all this was acheived without the Count's money and factory support.
Attached Images

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 09:21 AM

irrespective of who or what, I wish I had the 125K GBP to buy one.

there were a few revues of the bike's first outing at the IoM. i will try and find it to post.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode