Brown grips - and clock watching... - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Brown grips - and clock watching...

Hi chaps..

I'm gradually bringing my MV closer to how I think she ought to look. The black twist-grip rubbers have always bugged me a bit, but I didn't want to fit reproduction brown items in their place - preferring instead to wait until I could source some original 1970s soft rubber Tommasellis. Ah well! I found some at last!

I've recently taken off the red GRP front fender too, and replaced it with this stainless steel item. More like the original to look at - and more bright-work to polish on a Sunday!

Now, regarding the 'cockpit' clock..

I took the bike to a local biker meet recently, and parked up a little away from the crowd. I wandered off to buy a cuppa from the nearby hot-dog stall, and on my return ten minutes later found a bunch of guys had gathered around the bike. I stood with them whilst drinking my tea.

"Bet it's almost never used," says one of them. "Parked up in the living room, I'll bet. Waaay too clean to have seen any rain". He then examined the tyres for wear.

One of them began deriding the clock.

"..and look at that piece of tat!" says he (to me!), pointing to the clock. "What kind of prat would fit something like that to a bike like this?"

I shrugged.

"Hmmph!" says another, with a shake of his head. "A moron with more money than sense, obviously. But there's no accounting for taste".

A third guy - who'd seen the bike on a previous occasion and recognised me as its owner - started chuckling. 'It's his bike," he said, pointing at me. 'Ask him..!"

Ho hum. The backsides nearly fell out of the two others as they squirmed with embarrassment and tried to eat their words.

"It's not parked in the living room," says I. "It's parked in the yard. And I tour on it. It's nice to be aware of the time after a solid six hours in the saddle".

Ho ho! A funny exchange, and a wee bit embellished on my part, but are we classic MV owners really seen as a bunch of 'wealthy plonkers' with bikes which rarely see the light of day? Wealthy? Me? Ha! If only they knew the truth!

Steve
Attached Images

Last edited by 750four; 09-24-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 01:36 PM

Beautiful! I have a modern MV but certainly am considering a vintage model for the future.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 05:24 AM
Established Member

stunning bike !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 01:30 PM

great story, Steve!

Funny thing about meetings: there are always a couple of know-all-jokers commenting on your car or bike...ah well...
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 07:41 PM
Big Randaddy

Steve: That's one ugly ass motorcycle. You deserve better. Your reputation demands it. Just to show what a good guy I am, I'm willing to take it off your hands.......in order to allow you to repair your standing in the community.

I might even be willing to pay you a little money for therapist appointments......

BTW, where have you been OP? I been missing you.

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 11:54 PM

Beautiful machine. The sounds those things make are intoxicating.

2006 910S
2019 BMW S1kR
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 01:58 AM

Where can i buy one.Awesome bike
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 02:51 AM
Good story mate, as Oepie said, there's always someone pointing out how wonderful they are to their mates by outspokenly telling everyone within earshot how knowlegable they aren't.

It's true enough though, Cagiva MV's (if I can call them that) are quite rare sights, but to see a Cascina Costa bike is very rare indeed these days unless it's a club meet or something.

Years ago I had a special strap made up for my watch, which went around the rev counter binnacle on one of my 750 Hondas, so I could tell the time as I was riding along.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Keep one wheel down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But...Ö..a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!

Last edited by john; 09-26-2010 at 02:54 AM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randarosa View Post
BTW, where have you been OP? I been missing you.
Yeah, I've been a bit busy lately.
First the good news: my brother and his girlfriend got twins on the 23rd of August. A boy and a girl and they're doing great. I'm the godfather of the boy. Woohoo!

Also spent some time on a Belgian Navy mine hunter. Funny story about that.
A few days before going home, I dislocated my right shoulder during a boat transfer. Managed to crawl aboard the Norwegian ship, no medics there but managed to fix the shoulder though.
5 minutes later the Polish doctor (coming from the staff ship) came on board. With his translator (the doc couldn't speak a word of English, well except "beer" perhaps - mind you this was a NATO exercise) and a guy wearing an enormous backpack with the medical gear.
Doc examined me = started yanking my arm and the next thing I knew was that my shoulder was dislocated again. Doc said: oops and tried to push it back in. Which didn't work of course and hurt like hell. I ran off and with the help of a Norwegian managed to get it right myself.
Doc then said: well you got to stay on board the Norwegian boat and wherever you go, even when you got to pee, there has to be someone with you. You just rest and drink beer.
I thought: yeah right ...late afternoon I was back on the Belgian ship.
That Polish doc had a record of erm... not-so-good treatments. I was already his 4th or 5th big mistake in a month.

Couple of days later I had some examinations ashore, everything looked o.k., no heavy damage, but because of that injury the doc said it'd be wiser to go to Goodwood by car instead of taking the MV.

Talking about my bike, the mechanic who did the engine rebuild, is trying to rip me off, grossly overcharging in my (and several others') opinion.
I'm going to see my lawyer on Tuesday and if he tells me I got more than zero percent chance of winning, I'm going to court. It's the principle that matters to me.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randarosa View Post
Steve: That's one ugly ass motorcycle. You deserve better. Your reputation demands it. Just to show what a good guy I am, I'm willing to take it off your hands.......in order to allow you to repair your standing in the community.

Cheers Randarosa, you're a gent! But my standing in the community's never been higher than gutter level, so I guess I've nothing to lose.

I'm a descendant of Oscar Wilde, dontcha know, and we've a long history of gutter dwelling. (..ah! but some of us are still looking at the stars ).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode