750 America - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

750 America

Nice 750 America for sale in France: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

'..The attention that this work of art commands when you roll up to the traffic lights or in the town is impossible to escape. Everything else in its environment seems to pale into the mundane or else becomes invisible.'

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 12:08 PM

strange

Just mailed the guy why he sells the bike in pounds.Though the bike appears to be located in France.
never saw a bike for that price , Very curius what the end price will be .
Thinking about placing a bid , would buy it directly at that price

Last edited by Greny; 07-21-2010 at 12:10 PM. Reason: spelling
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greny View Post
Very curius what the end price will be .

It's currently at 16,600,although I think it will make a fair bit more than that!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Keep one wheel down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But.....a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greny View Post
Just mailed the guy why he sells the bike in pounds.Though the bike appears to be located in France.
never saw a bike for that price , Very curius what the end price will be .
Good luck if you bid on it Greny. These machines surely can't ever depreciate, so it's better than having spare cash in the bank. They're so invigorating to ride too!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 03:32 AM

The last America for sale in England, besides mine, that I know of was at auction about two years ago. The expected price was between 18,000 and 22,000 GBP plus hammer fee. From memory the bike sold for 28,000 GBP plus hammer fee coming to something over 30,000 GBP. Some one who viewed the bike said it was in average condition.

There is an America with an 850 kit for sale at the mid America auctions http://www.midamericaauctions.com/sh...ion.asp?ID=160. This is possibly an early model (wire wheels) fitted with a non factory fairing & fairing brackets. It looks pretty good.

I also know of another 850 for private sale in the States. Don't know the price of either of the US bikes. And yes, it is definitely great being a classic MV 4C owner.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 08:49 PM
Cyber SPOTTER

Nice - I've sat on emmevi125s' wonderful example of this groin stirring machine. I know I will most likely never own one given my 'bike ownership structure' but one never knows, that's the beauty of life.

I must say there is something about them which is just inexplicable!

MVA - Maserati Vespa
Agusta
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 02:59 AM
JSM

A couple of other "odd' aspects of this bike; Tank badge is missing, side cover badges are missing, tank decal is in the wrong position and the speedo / tacho / clip ons do not look to be original (and no mention of any of this in the "things I will include to return to original") perhaps it has been down the road

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 01:58 PM

Hiya Dudes.

A lot of folk seem to get hung up on supposed originality when talking about MV 'fours'. They always compare then with the factory promotion shots of the day, and forget that they are dealing with a 30 or 40 year oil machine.

It can be the same with the smaller bikes like the 125s also. The factory brouchure shot of which is very misleading as it was the prototype. It has a different frame, tank, side panels, controls etc,etc..... Trust me, i seem to spend an inordinate amount of time telling people that they can't have such and such a bit as it was never fitted to a bike by MV, for them to say 'well it's on the bike in the broucher etc'.

Dealers and importers would swap/change all sort's of stuff if it ment a sale. Especially towards or after the end of production.

I get to look at and date a lot of MV's and will never stop being supprised as to what i come across. Beware expert's and 'gurus' unless thy were there the day the bike was made.

Re the current value of MV 'fours'. I have sold or been involved in the sale of quite a few this year and can say that they are definitely on the up. I will not mention names but 40,000+ for a early Sport and 30-35,000 for an America is now the norm. Specials with mod's like chain drive and Magni cylinders are also very sort after.

Bad news if you are looking for one, but great if you already have one

All the best.

Dorian.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 06:20 AM

Dorians comments carry a lot of truth especially when you consider todays bikes which have numerous modifications and customizations done before they leave the dealership. This was the same 30 years ago when todays collectable Italians were the 'new' bike. You should also remember that there was never a bike leaving the factory which had as good a paint job or as high a polish as todays restorations display. For the really anal about originality then the original 30+ year old tyres should be on the bike but would you dare take it for a ride.

If using the Colombo book Moto MV Agusta as a reference to classic MVs (and it's probably the best reference book available) then have a read of the note at the start of the production catalogue section which, in part, reads:

"Given the frequent variation of technical characteristics, we have preferred to give detailed specifications of either the original model or the most significant version of it, ... "

The only original bikes are those with bugger all kms on the clock and in reality you can't ride them, just put them on display or trailer them to the next show. Fantastic if that's your thing. If you want a rider then look to see what mods have been done (suspension, electrics instantly spring to mind), were the the mods of the day and then determine if the bike meets your requirements and is acceptable value. If so buy it, if not keep looking and good luck.

An example of the variations of a model is my recently acquired a 125 TEL (for restoration). On arrival it had blade forks yet every photo and reference I had come across indicated the bike came with girder forks. Then there is the detailed article in an Italian magazine about the TEL and low and behold, there is a 150 version with a different cylinder head but with blade forks so now there is a 125 TEL girder forks, 125 TEL blade forks and 150 TEL, plus the Colombo book mentions a turismo and a sport version. So how many different versions of the TEL did MV make between 1949 and 1954? Beats me.

Personally, my bikes are riders (although I choose when to ride them) and there condition reflects that. The bikes are best described as in the spirit of the original which means they have some non standard parts for the year or model but reflect an original bike (the America tank on an America as opposed to a sport tank on an America ... my America did have a Sport tank on it at some stage).

As for the price, yes the price of classic MVs is steadily climbing but bargains can still be had, it's just a matter of being in the right place at the right time and knowing the right people. It's worked for me.

Just for laughs a pic of my America when a Sport tank & Magni seat were fitted
Attached Images

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmevi125s View Post
The only original bikes are those with bugger all kms on the clock and in reality you can't ride them, just put them on display or trailer them to the next show. Fantastic if that's your thing.

Just for laughs a pic of my America when a Sport tank & Magni seat were fitted

You've touched on a sore point here emmevi! Without wishing to derail the thread, here's why..

I put my MV on show for the first time ever yesterday, and I thought I was in with a good chance of winning until this little beauty turned up..

Check out the 'never-been-sat-on' seat, and the 1972 expiry date on the tax disc. I'm not even sure the engine had ever been started! The mainstand was as clean as the rest of the bike, and was put to the ground over a little piece of protective rubber

Now the main reason I took the MV was to give the good people in my area the chance to see one of these machines up close, so my remarks are really a bit tongue-in-cheek, but to see the looks on the faces of many of the other guys (most of whom had spent hours and hours polishing their weather-worn paintwork), only to have a cossetted museum piece unloaded from a van come and steal their glory, well, it was all a bit disheartening. Were these Nortons really so well polished from new?

For my own part, I took consolation in being the "peoples' champion", since most of the spectators I talked to gave my bike the nod .

Ahh well, there's always the next time! (..but then perhaps I'll need to stop riding the thing, and hire a van?)

ps. Love the 'Sport' tank on your bike. You can see a photo of my bike wearing an 'America' tank somewhere on this site too. Maybe we should have done some kind of 'swap' deal back in the day?

Steve
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode