175 CSTL Forks - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

175 CSTL Forks

I am trying to dismantle the forks on my CSTL to check for staightness and replace the seals. The parts manual is not very clear.
I have removed the circlip item 27 but they do not come apart. There looks to be a castellated nut in the top of the fork leg, but if it is, it will require a special tool to remove.
Anybody been down this route before that can advise.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 02:59 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
If it is like some older bikes I have worked on, there is a section holding the oil seal that is screwed onto the lower tube that secures it all together, usually a chromed cylinder. Perhaps #23 in the drawing?? A strap wrench should do the trick.

I am assuming you have the fork leg off the bike and have removed the cap and spring? Show us a photo.....

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Picture

This is a photo looking down the stanchion into the chrome shroud, which shows the castellated tube nut inside. I'm not sure my forks correlate that well with the drawing in the parts manual. If I have the cap (item 22) there was an o-ring in a groove below it. I tried to hold the top (cap) in the vice and unscrew the stanchion, but was unable to. I didnt want to grip either part with too much force in case it isn't two parts screwed together! If you can confirm it will be a cap then I will try with more torque to unscrew.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 04:00 AM Thread Starter

This is the top of the fork leg. the tapped hole is where it fits into the top yoke. Does the top part unscrew from the stanchion?
Attached Images

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 06:13 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
I think that is just a machined groove in the tube..... It looks like you need a tool with 2 tangs that will engage that nut inside the outer tube to turn it. But I do not see evidence of threads in there?? Wish I could stand there with you to study it.

I think I would make a tool to engage the notches in that internal nut.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 04:32 PM
Established Member

Show you some pics from the main parts inside the fork. The are all screwed together as you can see. It is rather difficult to unscrew the bottom end which fixes the wheel axle. And it is much more difficult to unscrew the the part which is chrome plated. I hope you can understand this, my English is not so well.
Attached Images

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 06:27 AM

Mechanic had this made.
Not sure if this helps, but my front forks on the 175 were catus.

cheers
Attached Images

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

Johann, Thanks for the advice. My forks are different. The parts manual is for 1955 and 56 which look similar to yours. Mine are 1957. Does anyone know how to get hold of a parts manual for the later 1957 model?

I made a tool and unscrewed the shroud, but the inner fork stanchion still doesn't want to come out of the fork leg. There looks to be an additional seal. The top of the fork has a brazed inner part, so I don't think that is removable. I have been advised against using the leg as a slide hammer as it could deform the inner bush making it impossible to remove. I may try putting the whole thing in tension as I don't see anything else to unscrew.
Attached Images

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 04:19 PM

try Classic MV Agusta - The Bike Museum

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 04:28 PM

my forks....
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in