New Member Questions - MVAgusta.net
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

New Member Questions

Hi, I recently purchased a classic MV and have some pics posted on the Intro. forum. It's been off the road for a while, in someone's collection, so I will need to do the basic things to get it road worthy. I'm not new to vintage bikes but I am new to MVs and Italian bikes. I'm not quite sure what model I have. It was labeled a 1957 MV Agusta 125 SS. I don't think that model exist. The engine is a TR and the frame a TRE though the look is more GTL. I've been searching for a resource that would date the engine and frame numbers but so far no luck. I've written the museum but have not heard back yet. Is there an online resource for VIN dating? Also, there appears to be some numbers below the frame numbers. Anyone know about those numbers?

So, some of my immediate tasks are to find a 6V period looking battery and strap, new tubes and tires (Pirellis, City Demon), add fluids, possibly clean and adjust carb, find frame mounted tire pump (I love the look of these on my BMWs), new rubber for kick starter, possible speedo service and perhaps a model correct dual seat (though I like the look of the solo seat). And most importantly find the correct instruction manual once I determine which model I have. I've looked at the 150cc manual and I suspect it's pretty similar.

Attached are a few more pics. Tell me what you think it is. Does anyone have anything similar?

Thanks.
Attached Images

nigelrb and db_509 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 12:15 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
That is a nice bike. Appears to be in a freshly reconditioned state. You might also contact the good folk at Barber Motorsports Museum in Birmingham Alabama. They are quite knowledgeable and have an enormous library

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
That is a nice bike. Appears to be in a freshly reconditioned state. You might also contact the good folk at Barber Motorsports Museum in Birmingham Alabama. They are quite knowledgeable and have an enormous library
I love the Barber Museum. I try my best to go to Vintage week every year.

Do you have any contacts at Barber?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 04:33 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Sent you a PM

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
The Following User Says Thank You to esq'z me For This Useful Post:
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 01:52 AM Thread Starter

Well, looks like I have the answer to what motorcycle I have. Thanks to the MV Agusta museum database. I have a 4 speed, 1964 125 Gran Turismo Lusso. It left the factory in October of '64 with the same engine and frame combination. The information makes sense because the bike closely resembles a GTL of that era from photos I have seen. So, my bike isn't as old as I thought but it's a matching number bike and possibly a more preferred model. The MV museum did point out that the seat and color of the headlight are incorrect.
esq'z me likes this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 05:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to nigelrb Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb
What marvellous customer service MV provides - years after the release and with no direct financial benefit to them. I think very few manufactures would even bother to answer a query of this nature let alone provide concise detail down to headlight colour.

You must be well pleased to now have some definitive history!

2007 MV F4 1000R
2018 CBR1000RR SP2 : 2004 CBR1000RR : 2003 CBR954RR : 2001 CBR929RR (Erion Racing Edition)
1985 Honda VF1000R : 1985 Honda NS400R
2020 Daytona 765 Moto 2 Replica (on order)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 07:51 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlowery View Post
Well, looks like I have the answer to what motorcycle I have. Thanks to the MV Agusta museum database. I have a 4 speed, 1964 125 Gran Turismo Lusso. It left the factory in October of '64 with the same engine and frame combination. The information makes sense because the bike closely resembles a GTL of that era from photos I have seen. So, my bike isn't as old as I thought but it's a matching number bike and possibly a more preferred model. The MV museum did point out that the seat and color of the headlight are incorrect.
That is an interesting way to confirm your bike. How did you approach the museum? Did you simply email them with pictures?

Gapalicious 2019 at
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 08:15 AM

New Site Garage
I am impressed, what a beautiful machine! Glad it has a worthy home. Ride it!

Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly....
2018 MV Agusta 800 Brutale RR-- "Betttina" in Giallo-Nero
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentservice703 View Post
That is an interesting way to confirm your bike. How did you approach the museum? Did you simply email them with pictures?
I can't remember who provided the information but they supplied me with an email address. The address didn't work but at least I had the correct web site. From the web site I was able to find the right link. Fill out the form at this link: Meccanica Verghera 1945 1977. They will send you an email in about 1-2 weeks requesting some photos. Wait another 1-2 weeks and they will supply you with an answer. Extremely helpful information!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelrb View Post
What marvellous customer service MV provides - years after the release and with no direct financial benefit to them. I think very few manufactures would even bother to answer a query of this nature let alone provide concise detail down to headlight colour.

You must be well pleased to now have some definitive history!
I am very pleased. The title is being amended with the correct information.

BTW, BMW has an extensive database and will provide similar free information. The will also provide an official letter of authenticity for a fee.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode