Now how do I stop this engine? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 03:42 AM Thread Starter

Now how do I stop this engine?

Hi all, the ignition switch on my 1971 150GTL has three positions, turned to the left engine runs with the headlight on, in the middle position engine runs no lights, turned to the right engine runs sidelight on, even removing the key engine still runs.
Question is should there be a killswitch fitted or is the ignition switch faulty? At present other than stalling the engine there is no way to stop it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 01:25 PM

New Site Garage
Hey!

could you attach a photo of the switch type? However it sounds like mine RS150. Left headlight, middle no light, right no idea but engine runs.
The thing is when you remove the key from the switch, it should commute the conections to grouond. In other words, when the key is not there, the current generated by the generator is shortcutted to the frame (ground); when the key is in, the connection plate is moved, and the current generated feeds the battery and the lights.

Hope this helps
Dong
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the helpful reply Dong it seems obvious there is a problem with the switch as taking the key out does not break the circuit, I will investigate further, all the best, Colin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 08:09 AM

New Site Garage
Hey again,

maybe you have done it already, but check the contacts from the switch, give them a nice sand-paper treatment to the contacts. The rust may be the cause. Keep us tuned
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 02:52 PM

As DongXu was explaining, taking out the key does not 'break the circuit' it evidently grounds out the ignition. Even many modern kill switches on basic motorcycle do this. So just worth understanding so you don't head in the wrong direction. (I know nothing about this bike by the way, I just know from experience that kill switch/ some ignition switches on old and even many modern basic motorcycles often ground out the ignition to kill the engine). all the best
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 05:42 PM

I have the same issue with my 1957 175 CSTL. I have to stop it by blocking the air filter with my hand. I thought that was the only way as my Gilera of similar vintage is stopped by the decompression lever. Looking at the wiring diagram for my bike it looks as though removing the key should ground the generator and disconnect the battery. I will also investigate my ignition contacts/wiring arrangement. Will also prevent someone from starting it without the key!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode