Suspension troubles on a 150 - MVAgusta.net
 2Likes
  • 4 Post By Jacks the Lad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

Suspension troubles on a 150

Having acquired a 150 earlier this year that had been in the ownership of the previous keeper since 2003, and in that time he had spent a considerable amount of money. Rebuilding the engine, front forks, rear shocks, wheels, powder coating the frame and chrome plating, then decided for whatever reason not to finish it. But what seemed at first to be just a simple reassembly job is turning out to be anything but. All of the rear suspension points were damaged, the lower mounting points, that as far as I can see were originally screwed into bracket on the swinging arm - the remains of the thread were just visible once I had dug out the powder coating - but they had been replaced with plain bolts which had only confounded the problem. Secondly, despite having been rebuilt the shocks retained only the remains of the old (and quite worn out) rubber bushes. Also, although being the same length and diameter, one shock is two position adjustable while the other is not, very strange.

The photo shows the the adjustable leg, no telling if they are the original fitment of course, they do look a bit on the “chunky” side for a 150.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

First part of the problem is fixed, the bottom suspension mounts. These were originally a 12mm stud reduced at each end and threaded 8mm, both were missing, however not much point in simply making another set as the mounting holes in the swinging arm were also damaged. The answer was to turn up another set only this time reduce to 8mm as before at one end, but keeping it 12mm at the other. This being threaded 12 x1.25 (the finer pitch, as opposed to the more normal 12 x1.75 to give improved thread contact area in what was a rather narrow bracket) made long enough so when screwed home there was room for a lock nut on the far side. The damaged 8mm holes in the brackets were drilled and taped as appropriate The photo shows one of the studs. Have to sort out the upper mounts next, and still to find the correct rubber bushes.
Attached Images

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 03:13 AM Thread Starter

Fixed, the top suspension mounts that is. The left hand had been broken off at sometime and replaced by a crudely welded piece of 12mm studding (they hadn't even bothered to dress the end off, just left ragged). Some careful work with a welder an a die grinder restored it to it's correct shape, but the 8mm part of the mount was too short to get the fixing nut on (the right side was too short as well). Happily the 8mm part of the mount does not have to carry the load - the 12mm part does that - it's just there for the retaining nut keeping the legs in place. To extend the mounts a short of studding was reduced at one end threaded 6mm, then using a guide bush the end of the mount were drilled and taped, having faced the ends of the mount first. The 8mm extensions were then simply screwed into place, photo shows the result. Still haven't found the correct bushes yet.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 05:47 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
For bushings, expand your search to vintage Japanese parts.....all bikes of that era used similar components. I'll wager they are out there listed for a Honda or such. Just need to know sizes.
Good luck !!

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Although Having fixed the suspension points I still had the problem of the correct rubber bushes. An internet search turned up a set in in the southern USA who were proud to tell me that they were the genuine Italian made parts manufactured by “Ariete”. Now if they are made in Italy, why can’t they be bought in Italy? Shipping them half way round the word and back again didn’t seem to make much sense, a search of the Italian Ebay search produced the same American listing. However a little more searching revealed that Ariete are still in business and that they produce a whole range of rubber parts for Italian machines. They can be had from a company called “Motocicli Veloci” so if you are stuck for rubber bits (and other parts as well) it might just be worth having a look at them.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Jacks the Lad For This Useful Post:
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 09:55 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Good find....we should add this to a "knowledge" thread... isn't there one of those??

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode