post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

xx

xx

Last edited by Roger Craig; 03-06-2016 at 01:58 PM. Reason: remove this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

350b front fork repair

My 1974 350b has a problem with the forward mounting lugs for the gas tank.

The lugs are threaded but bottom out at the steering column. The threads are damaged beyond repair. I want to restore the threads with helicoil inserts. This requires drilling them out and tapping for the inserts. Before I can drill them out I have to remove the inner steering shaft (in the parts manual the "fork basement").

I removed the aluminum plate which mount the instruments and it looked like the "fork head" and "fork basement" should simply just slip apart.

See first attached picture.

But they seem firmly attached. I tested by firmly tapping the head using a wooden block and hammer.

My parts and owner's manual are no help.

Bummer!

Is it possible that they are force pressed (with a press) together. I would guess not, because access to the steering bearings for service would be very difficult for the home shop. However the lower end of the "fork basement" reveals a slot to the shaft end which holds the vibration damper.

See second attached picture.

Is it possible that this slot acts as access to unscrew this shaft thereby releasing the parts.

I am soliciting opinions because I am very cautious to not apply large forces if I don't know what I'm doing.

Help

Roger Craig
Attached Images

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 02:56 PM
Established Member

The stanchions have conical top ends in the upper top yoke. So I think you have to rebuild the handlebars and the headlight brakets and losen the screws which fix the stanchions in the lower yoke. Then fix the chrome plated screws on top of the stanchions only half the way and use a plastic hammer to pull them out of the upper yoke. It's just the same as on the 750s. Excuse my bad English, hope you can understand it.

Regards

Alexander
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Alexander
Many thanks for your reply. I'm stuck at this point. I will set up what you suggest and take a picture and post it to make sure I understand you, before applying force. Since you're German, or at least in Germany I will tell you some thing that might encourage you to trust that I will do work honorable to the moto. I owned a 4 cam Porsche Carrera, roller bearing version, for many years. More that once I have completely, and totally, rebuilt the engine myself. And it ran like a dream.

Again thanks for your help.

Roger
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 11:53 AM
Established Member

So you really had a wonderful car and a mecanical challange too. Probably you can look for your little problem in the workshop manual from the 750s. It's just the same method to dismantle the front fork.

Take care of our nice bike.

Alexander
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Alexander
Do you have workshop manual for the 750S. I can't find one on the web. If you do, and could scan the relevant pages, you will make an old man happy. I'm told that gives credit for the here-in-after. At least that's what Rudyard Kipling said.

You know about the mechanical complexity of the 4 cam Porsche engine? One of my Bugatti friends said they call it a 300 lbs Swiss watch. I attached a picture of the engine open showing the roller bearing crank and the start of the shaft/bevel gear train that drives the 4 camshafts. Its fun to work on if you're not in a hurry and if no one is watching (critically).

Roger
Attached Images

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 02:15 PM
Established Member

Thank you for the great picture of the wonderful porsche engine. It is a technical juwel. Why did you sell the car? Have a look on this picture. I just made from the manual of the 750 America.

Regards

Alexander
Attached Images

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Alexander

Many thanks. Is it possible to get a higher resolution of that page? I can't read to text or examine the illustration with any confidence. Perhaps take pictures of only portions of the page? This is very close.

Here's my car at the 2009 Pebble Beach Concourse: the big one.

Roger
Attached Images

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Alexander

I was able to download the photo you kindly supplied, and enhanced it a bit to enable me to read the directions. These instructions seem to show how to remove the telescopic forks. I really need to remove the steering shaft that resides inside the steering column. I need to do this to be able to drill out and re-tap the stripped threads on the gas tank mounting studs. Recall I want to renew the threads for helicoil inserts. Its this internal shaft that's in my way, and seems to be tricky to get out. The lower end of it is shown in the second foto that I used in my initial query. Does your 750S address this operation?

Do you have a 750S? I've only sat on one. Pretty nice, I must say. Right up there with a 4 cam Porsche!

Don't text and ride.

Thanks for your patience,

Roger
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Here's a picture of the gas tank mounting studs with the stripped threads.

Roger
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode