Decal question - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Decal question

I am looking for the correct color combination for the Made in Italy decal on the tanks for a 1972 and 1973 750s.
I have added a photo of the original 73 tank with 37 stars showing the decal to have gold background with black writing. This tank was original but some say it was a black background with gold writing? It also has a fine line boarder?
I have added a photo of my 72 tank with 36 stars which had been repainted with black background and gold writing and no boarder, which goes with the popular belief. I know the blue paint stripe is not correct along with the large decal and pin stripe.

What is the correct color combinations plus with or without border for these decals. Can the original 72 tank I have not be correct or just worn ?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 09:25 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
I am not an authority, but the gold on white looks more in line with that era of bikes than the black background......this was a luxury brand, and the white with gold looks much more luxurious.

Just MHO

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 03:13 PM

1974 had 37 stars and black on white
1973 had 36 stars and gold on black
1968 had 25 stars

I'd suggest 1972 had 34 stars as in this original decal from a 1970 GTLs. I think the bike is Australian delivery.

Name:  DSC_3224 125 GTLs MV Agusta, Feb 2015.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  1.37 MB

all 'star' decals should be on a clear background as opposed to a white border and the 'stars' decal is on top of the clear coat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 03:31 PM

Hi Ravaldi.

Here's what the photographs show in Ian Falloon's book: MV Agusta fours

The 'Made In Italy' decal in your first picture would originally have been silver with black lettering, and the border would have been a single (thicker) black outline - not fine.

The one in your second picture would originally have been a solid black rectangle with no border. The lettering would have been gold.

Falloon tells us the decal with 36 stars was new to the 1973 model, and the decal with 37 stars came in 1974.

Steve
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

It is a little difficult to track with production for the next year model starting at the end of the previous year. The tank in the first photo is actually from a Drum brake 73 US delivered (left side gear shift) manufactured in October 1973. The decal has 37 Stars so could it have been labled after the championship was decided ?
I see the Made in Italy in the photo (emmevi 125) has a very fine black boarder around the gold then clear decal and then a Black boarder that allows the tank color to show through between the main part of the decal and the Black boarder.
Steve your photos did not show in your post or I just didn't see them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode