350 ipotesi - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

350 ipotesi

Does anybody now or have a workshop manual. Already have owners manual and parts book but can't find this.
Rebuilding engine and need to know
valve spring free length , valve spring installed height and any info regarding valve spring tension at certain heights.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

1946 Mv Agusta "98"
1955 Mv Agusta 175cs
1960 Mv Agusta Rapido sport 150
1974 Mv Agusta 750 sport
1977 Mv Agusta 350 Felotti
2004 Mv Agusta F4 SR
2005 Mv Agusta Tamburini
2001 Ducati Mh900e Carbon dream
2004 Ducati 998R
2015 Vyrus 987

Last edited by adrian; 12-18-2015 at 01:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Does anybody now or have a workshop manual. Already have owners manual and parts book but can't find this.
Rebuilding engine and need to know
valve spring free length , valve spring installed height and any info regarding valve spring tension at certain heights.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks
Adrian I never heard about a 350 workshop manual.
In my honest opinion were workshop manuals only printed for the 750's.
I fear You have to live with the content of the owners manual or in the best case that any member has the additional info You need.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 04:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by haupti View Post
Adrian I never heard about a 350 workshop manual.
In my honest opinion were workshop manuals only printed for the 750's.
I fear You have to live with the content of the owners manual or in the best case that any member has the additional info You need.
Hi Ralph, I had the feeling there wasn't as I've searched myself and only come up with owners and parts book. I'm sure someone knows this info though. I've asked the uk owners group also.
Maybe Rob might know?

1946 Mv Agusta "98"
1955 Mv Agusta 175cs
1974 Mv Agusta 750 sport
2004 Mv Agusta F4 SR
2005 Mv Agusta Tamburini
2004 Ducati 998R
2015 Vyrus 987
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 05:24 PM
Cyber SPOTTER

Hi Adrian,

We were away for the weekend "down the coast" amazing weather, so good we decided to stay last night as well & come up this morning via home & then straight to work, I saw your email this morning (on my desktop) but had no chance to answer (sorry) so I thought I'd come on here

In short, no there is not a workshop manual that I've come across or even heard of - when we did my engines the Engineers and Techs didn't ask about valve spring tensions at certain heights as a matter of fact they didn't ask anything at all. Don't forget these are not GP engines and the tolerances are not ultra fine and probably pretty rough by today's standards, to be honest.

I think they made "industry standard educated guesses" when putting them together based on the measurements they took when they dismantled them? I been running both engines (in the 350s's) for a few years now since the work was completed without any problem at all.

I am sure they'll be able to work it out based on their experience with other engines. They maybe only trying to cover all bases or perhaps double checking their own estimates/numbers. If there are measurement numbers floating out there then yes probably the UK owners Club will have them.

Good luck Adrian but I am sure it won't be too big a deal in the end.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MVA - Maserati Vespa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Agusta
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response Rob.
Les from the owners group got back to me with the information we were after.
Here it is for others also
Length of spring unfitted ? Inner 34mm, Outer 38mm

Length of spring fitted ? 26.5mm ? Measured from top of spring to top of lower spring retaining bucket. You?ll need to add the depth of the bucket to get total length fitted, assuming you?re using standard lower retainer. Sorry, I didn?t have a spare lower retainer to hand.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 03:40 PM
Cyber SPOTTER

That's interesting info Adrian. Obviously the inner and outer diameters could have been taken from the existing springs and same with the unsprung lenght. Wouldn't the sprung lenght be guided by the tappet setting for the valve clearances? I don't really know best to leave these things to the experts; ) I am still waiting for my son to teach me how to 'properly' do my valve clearances!

MVA - Maserati Vespa
Agusta
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 02:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVista View Post
That's interesting info Adrian. Obviously the inner and outer diameters could have been taken from the existing springs and same with the unsprung lenght. Wouldn't the sprung lenght be guided by the tappet setting for the valve clearances? I don't really know best to leave these things to the experts; ) I am still waiting for my son to teach me how to 'properly' do my valve clearances!
Yes, exactly to me it's just numbers but to my mechanic it means something very helpful . I'll leave it up to him, as he has proved to be very capable after my third attempt of finding a good one.

1946 Mv Agusta "98"
1955 Mv Agusta 175cs
1974 Mv Agusta 750 sport
2004 Mv Agusta F4 SR
2005 Mv Agusta Tamburini
2004 Ducati 998R
2015 Vyrus 987
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 12:57 AM
Cyber SPOTTER

Thumbs up

100% correct Adrian, if you have a good technician that is trustworthy, hang on to him mate!

Let us know how you get on when it is finished.

MVA - Maserati Vespa
Agusta
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 05:50 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Rak58
Great to get those dimensions, Adrian. I will keep them handy. As for a workshop manual, I agree with everyone, there does not appear to be one produced by the factory. I did a fair bit of digging in Italy when I was there in May, but no result. The valve spring length is all intermixed with the attack angle of the rockers so that the valves open at a correct angle relative to the rockers. Get the attack angle wrong results in high wear on the valves, guides and cams as the valve is pushed open in a rocking motion. I restored a OHC Norton motor once, and spent hours experimenting with various valve lengths and rocker profiles until the valve opened straight in the guide. As they had hairpin springs this was a simple matter to do without springs and you could actually feel the valve pushed one way then the other as the rocker rode over the valve end. The best attack angle was the minimum amount of longitudinal movement across the valve opening and closing. A coupe of thou would change things quite a bit. Probably why your engineer wanted the spring lengths etc, to cut down on the experimentation needed. When I got my head done this year, my engineer did all the valves to a standard set of values he works with. He reckoned that no matter what engine it is, those values are quite constant. Love to have his book. Good luck with the motor. Mine is going great now, not afraid to give it the berries since the valve seat work.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

I was speaking to Albert Bold awhile ago about the 350 and he said apart from the valve issue the oil filtration is not there causing excessive oil contaimimation and putting heat and excessive wear on engine components . He said he was coming up with a oil filter system for 350 owners.
Explaining why my engine needs a new crank and rods (low kms)apart from the valves ,head and piston detonation . You should of seen the sludge oil that came out of it when we pulled it . apart . Definitely change the oil more regularly on this engine .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode