Different Cylinder Heads for 175 Sport - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Different Cylinder Heads for 175 Sport

Someone offers a head from a 175 squalo to me. Can anyone explain the differences between the head of an cs, css an squalo. Valve size, size of the fins, diamete of intake and exaust???

Hope you can help me.

Regards

Alexander
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 07:58 PM
Established Member

I can't offer much help, but I do have examples of these heads. Other than the angle of the intake manifold casting, the 'big fin' heads appear to be the same. My heads have been modified, so I doubt of the valves and seats are original. Most of the differences seem to be in the parts that are bolted onto the casting. The carrier for the cam and rockers is considerably different- of course the cams and rockers are different between the models.
The lubrication systems are different- I've read comments that the system with a hollow cam and oil fed into the cam to lubricate the rockers is better than the 'drip tube' system- I think only the Squalo got the internal oilway.
Without the Squalo cam/rockers/carrier/etc, there wouldn't be much advantage to having the Squalo casting, other than just having a rare part.
Rick
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Hi Chip, many thanks for this informations. I hope that I soon will know more about this part. And after your post it seems to me that the css and the squalo head are very similar or just the same parts only with diffrent cams.

Whats about your 175 racing project. Do you have succes?

Regards

Alexander
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 07:20 PM
Established Member

I bought some parts that were from a race bike, but passed through a few hands before I got them- I'm hoping to put together a 'period correct' vintage race bike, but it will be winter before I have much time to devote to it.
If you're offered a 'big fin' head you should buy it- very hard to find.
Rick
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

I would like to buy it but actally I don't know the price. So I'm afraid that the word Squalo does only mean: very high price. But I have time not been in a hurry. Sometimes I am thinking of making some new heads.

Regards Alexander
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 10:07 PM
Established Member

If the head includes the dual vernier cam, rockers, carrier, etc, it's very hard to find- worth a lot. I've thought about making heads also- probably the easiest head to make I've ever seen, but it's still a huge job- I hope to work on a drawing this winter.
Rick
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 02:24 PM

the squalo head has the castings to the valve cover bolts nearly outside the head ,,
kind regards Åke

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode