1951 MV Agusta 125 scooter - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 03:45 AM Thread Starter

1951 MV Agusta 125 scooter

There was an e-bay add for this scooter so this morning DDMV and myself popped out and had a look at the bike. Would have loved to have bought it but the reserve was more than I was willing to pay and possibly more than the bike was worth. Basically original but I think the exhaust may be after market and there was a fair bit of tidying up to do before the bike is in an acceptable condition. Apparently it runs.

Some pics from the visit.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 05:46 AM

Cool find Rusty, there was one of those on ebay Aus not long ago

1946 Mv Agusta "98"
1955 Mv Agusta 175cs
1960 Mv Agusta Rapido sport 150
1974 Mv Agusta 750 sport
1977 Mv Agusta 350 Felotti
2004 Mv Agusta F4 SR
2005 Mv Agusta Tamburini
2001 Ducati Mh900e Carbon dream
2004 Ducati 998R
2015 Vyrus 987
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

There was one in Queensland which sold for $2300 a few months ago and this one is in Melbourne. Last bid I saw was $3500 with a couple of hours left. Knowing his reserve, I doubt anyone came even close.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 08:44 PM

Hey guys just wondering how these scooters come about in Oz? Are they imported? It's not something you see in the Trading Post if you know what I mean. I was also keen until it got past the $3k mark...bit rich for my tastes.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2015, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

Except for bikes manufactured after 1970 (1969-72:125 GTLs, 350 B, 350 GT and 1975-1978: 125 sport, 350 Ipotesi, 350 GT) the bikes would have been privately imported. Post 1970 there were MV importers to Australia where the story goes that for every 750 they had to take either a 125 or 350.

I'm aware of three scooters in Australia in the last few months, two which have been on e-bay and the other in a museum (http://www.philaphoto.com/imageLibra...php?album=1268). there are also a heap of 125 GTLs MVs 'hidden' around the place (a few years ago I counted 28 that I knew of).

I had a chat to the owner who indicated he didn't mind keeping the MV. The reserve was a few thousand above the last bid. There was also a fair bit of work to do to get the scooter up to an acceptable level. Wiring was messy, probably rewire the whole bike was in order, steering bearings could be shot or at least needed tightening as the bars were pretty loose compared to the front wheel. Clutch needed adjustment or refurbishment in order to select gears easily. new tyres as the scooter had the original ex factory tyres on. New grips.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2015, 06:41 PM

Thanks emmevi...a fountain of knowledge as always :-)

It always blows my mind how there's always a few "hidden" treasures like these peppered around Oz. I remember meeting a bloke once to talk about an XS650, bloke leads me to the shed and BAM...he had about 12 bare frames and another 20-odd bikes in various stages!

OK thanks for the pricing insight. I think at that level it would suit a "collector". I'm an "enthusiast"...the difference of course being the depth of the pocket!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2015, 08:13 PM
Cyber SPOTTER

Interesting find Russ, I've always thought of scooters as the exclusive domain of Vespa and Lambretta.

I've always thought as motorcycles being the real domain of MV - I saw the Queensland one and Adrian had messaged me shortly after the sale to see if I was the buyer, which I wasn't, always thought of them as an anomaly/oddity.

Still, it would make a cool garage ornament for someone

PS - It's a new financial year and have a VERY COOL 2015/2016 calendar hanging up courtesy of certain talented photographer - Thanks again Russ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MVA - Maserati Vespa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Agusta

Last edited by MVista; 07-12-2015 at 08:16 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 03:02 AM Thread Starter

hi Rob

quite a few Italian marques had scooters as part of the range (MV & Ducati). There was even a class for racing scooters. Last year I came across a factory Lambretta scooter which was raced at Bathurst and won (pretty sure about this) either the race or championship for the 125 class. Pics should be on Phil Aynsley's website.

cheers

Russ
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 04:56 PM

MV Agusta Scooters

Rob here are few more impressions of Scooters I just happen to have on my hard drive.
Attached Images

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 10:42 PM
Cyber SPOTTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by haupti View Post
Rob here are few more impressions of Scooters I just happen to have on my hard drive.
Thank you Ralf - it is always fantastic to see those things. I think that from my personal viewpoint they would be the last things to add to the collection.

There are many models I would seek out before turning to scooters but as I said very cool garage ornaments

MVA - Maserati Vespa
Agusta

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode