In case anyone is interested in the almost finished project... - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

In case anyone is interested in the almost finished project...

test drove it last night, mostly all good, chassis has no bad habits so I can move on to paint. I still have one issue, it pukes oil out the breather when riding, nothing at all when standing still. I am not sure about the wierd rotary breather valve on these things, maybe I dont have that timed right. Maybe a baffle missing somewhere. Put the motor together without much to go on. I have a vid clip of the test drive if anyone wants. I am not happy with the seat cover, daughter has promised to help with a new one. Ignore the fork leg dust covers, used from the parts bin for the test drive.
Attached Images

Last edited by js vermont; 07-09-2015 at 08:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 07:49 AM

Hmmm,

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 08:50 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Looks really nice!!! Hope you get the breather sorted. May want to do a leak down test to be sure it's not piston ring sealing (or loss thereof) pressurizing the crankcase and blowing the oil out.....that is, if it ain't the breather valve timing....

Good luck. Looking forward to finished photos.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

hey thanks, just about positive its not blow by. only happens you lean or tip the bike, combustion is real clean.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 10:40 AM
Established Member

I don't know anything about your 'rotary breather valve', but most of these old bikes used a 'draft tube' crankcase ventilation system- air moving past the end of the tube would create a low pressure area so the higher pressure in the crankcase would force vapors out- that would explain why it isn't hosing your rear fender down when it's standing still. But, there shouldn't be that much discharge.
Rick
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

I have been in many motors and I have not seen this sort of breather valve either, but behind the points , on the cam, is a disc with a port in it. Timed to the crankshaft. I am guessing I have it timed wrong, but will do a takedown while I am painting the bike. If anyone has experience wtih this setup, would love the input. Did the 350 keep this same arrangement?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 10:59 AM
Established Member

You could rig up a hose and catch can from your oil filler cap and see what happens when you just bypass the rotary valve- maybe the valve intake has fallen into liquid oil.
And, the way your tank and seat wrap around the frame tubes looks good- the Disco/Imola look is a nice fit to the rest of the bike.
Rick
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 11:51 AM

I love your project. Would like to see better photos of the swing arm, it looks really cool. And good luck with the oiling issue. I fought a similar issue on a Triumph 650 for a couple years. A dry sump motor so completely different cause, we think it was a lack of suction in the scavenge side of the oil pump. Surfacing the back of the oil pump seemed to finally do the trick. Are you sure your 350 is not over filled? On Ducati bevel twins, we always run the oil level at the lower of the 2 grooves on the dipstick, which helps keep the oil in.

1954 MV 175 CSS Super Sport
1957 MV 175 CS Modello Sport
1967 Motobi 125 Sport
1974 Ducati 750 GT
Left Coast USA

Last edited by hulagun; 07-09-2015 at 11:55 AM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. The Disco/Imola mashup is exactly what I was thinking when making this, so glad you picked up on it. The swingarm is one I made out of ,I think, a moto-morini item, narrowed and braced, axle slots welded up. The pivot was machined by a gentlemen out in Colorado that originally had the motor. He was going to use it on the project. Its as far as he got on it. its a nice piece of work, so I used it. I can take a close up if you would like.

1968 MV Agusta 250b
1970 BSA 441
1974 Laverda 750SF
1977 Ducati 900SD Darmah
1978 Ducati 900SS
1979 Moto Guzzi CX100 LeMans
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

finally got around to uploading a video of the first ride. please forgive the stupidity of the no helmet. just a drive around the local industrial park.

http://s24.photobucket.com/user/john...tml?sort=3&o=0

1968 MV Agusta 250b
1970 BSA 441
1974 Laverda 750SF
1977 Ducati 900SD Darmah
1978 Ducati 900SS
1979 Moto Guzzi CX100 LeMans

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode