Trying to identify my mv agusta - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Smile Trying to identify my mv agusta

Hi guys,
So I have an mv agusta that was sold to me as a 1966 98cc mv agusta. No other model name or details. I have attached a photo of the bike and the engine number is :
83-555650
Can anyone confirm the model number and engine size? I imagine the stock colors for this bike would have been mv red.
Any help on details on this bike would be appreciated. Is there a parts manual somewhere online for this bike? Any suggestions on a parts source? I need a speedometer, twist grip throttle and a gas cap.
Thanks!
Shane
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 04:23 PM

I' not sure what model you have. But the best place for parts are UK owners club ( if your not a member join), the bike museum ,ebay ,yahoo group for older Mvs

1946 Mv Agusta "98"
1955 Mv Agusta 175cs
1960 Mv Agusta Rapido sport 150
1974 Mv Agusta 750 sport
1977 Mv Agusta 350 Felotti
2004 Mv Agusta F4 SR
2005 Mv Agusta Tamburini
2001 Ducati Mh900e Carbon dream
2004 Ducati 998R
2015 Vyrus 987
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 08:50 AM

My bet, it is a Ottantatre (83).
And as such a Turismo, based on the all black color.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 09:24 PM
Cyber SPOTTER

Thumbs up 83

Yep - that's the one Ralf. Lovely little bikes!

Also very interestingly, 83 apart from being the engine capacity is also the weight of the machine

I could never work out the difference between the Turismo and Sport as the specs are exactly the same in every way - I guess it really is true that red is the fastest colour and hence it became the Sport

Nice find Shane, welcome to the forum and as Adrian suggested your best first step would be to join THE MV AGUSTA OWNERS CLUB OF GREAT BRITAIN for parts and general help/advice.

Cheers
Rob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MVA - Maserati Vespa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Agusta
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Awesome thanks guys! Yes it makes sense that it is an 83 if the engine number is "83"-xxxxx. If you look closely at the tank it has red paint underneath. For some reason someone painted over the original finish which is too bad! Just looking at the patterning it may be a sport but will have to investigate some more!
Would the rest of the engine number correspond to the year? for example if the next part is "555xxx" could it be a 55? What year range were these bikes produced? I also found this flyer which is a 1960 flyer for an 83 Motoretta. It was sold to me as a 66 year bike so could it be this model too?? Or was the seller totally off on the year? A few features on the bike certainly match the 58 better.

Great advice on joining the MV agusta GB group. have looked at the website and going to sign up! Also signed up to the yahoo group for mv too.
thanks!
Shane
Attached Images

Last edited by shanemun; 04-19-2015 at 11:40 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 09:41 AM

Looks like the 60's model had a different battery / tool box, so I would think Yours is an earlier one from the 50's.
And as You see in the brochure I posted, the white and red tank was on both of the models.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for everyone's help on this! It looks like the ottanttatre was produced from 1958 to 1960.
I found one reference serial number which was:
83-555888 which claims to be a 1958 ottanttatre
My serial number is:
83-555650
So being lower my assumption is it would be a 1958 assuming the auction is referencing the correct year on the bike being sold.

So I think I will call it a 1958 based on that.

Flawed logic??
Cheers
Shane
Attached Images

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 04:15 AM

If it's an Ottantatre then the engine number should start with 154*****. There are some MVs where the first three digits are a reference to the model of the bike.

For 216-04-021-0-80 the numbers refer to (from right to left)
0-08 refer to an item which is an assembly of parts
021 is an item number within a particular group of parts
04 is the group number
216 model number of the machine (in this case a 350 Ipotesi S & GT)

This applies to some bikes but not all with '154' relating to the Ottantatre. There was also a factory option for the colour scheme for the Ottantatre of burgundy & gold as well as the standard red & white. Having said all that the bike may still be an Ottantatre. It is really hard to find info re classic Italian bikes partly as records weren't all that good and partly because those that wre actually around at the time are unfortunately no longer around in both body and mind.

Whilst the books may specify a particular bike there are quite a few variations which don't necessarily appear which may best be described as model updates. I have a 125 TEL but there is also a 150 TEL which isn't easily found in the various reference books. I came across the 150 version when I bought an Italian bike magazine with an article on the TEL to use as a reference source for the restoration of my TEL.

Another great source is thebikemuseum where you may find bikes with similar engine/frame numbers

You might also try contacting the MV Agusta museum to see if they can shed some light on the bike.

Dario Paganini
[email protected]
Via Giovanni Agusta 512
21017 Samarate (Fr. Cascina Costa)
Varese
http://www.museoagusta.it
http://www.glaagusta.org

Basically, it's a lot of work sourcing information but you will eventually gat there.

cheers

Russ

Last edited by emmevi125s; 04-22-2015 at 04:34 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode