1954 Disco Volante on ebay - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

1954 Disco Volante on ebay

1954 Disco Volante for sale on ebay. The bike is in Mission Viejo, California. I saw the bike 2 weeks ago at a car show. It was in a private collection in Italy for many years. It was recently sold at the Mecum auction in Vegas. It is in running condition.
Click on the link below for more info:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MV-Agusta-Di...US_motorcycles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 08:11 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Rob...what is the VALUE of this?

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 08:46 AM
Cyber SPOTTER

Question Can of Worms

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentservice703 View Post
Rob...what is the VALUE of this?
Hey Chucky, not buying into this - the perennial question of what actually constitutes a Disco Volante & what doesn't exists and gets tiresome.

But as I consider you a good friend I offer this:

Some argue only a genuine CSS has the right to be called a Disco Volante, that engine is definitely a Sport version, not a CSS, but a CS.

Whether this bike is a standard CS with a 'Disco' tank or a 'Discette' is almost impossible to tell. It makes no difference anyway as the engine spec is the same, only the CSS has the higher output motor and an extra gear......I'd like to know if this was a 4 or 5 speed.

The bike in general looks very nice with some very correct parts.

It is a bike that is largely copied and Italy unfortuantely is notorious for signing off on pretty bikes purporting to be something that they may or not be.

I purchased one with a genuine CS motor runs great and paid for what I know got and if I got anything else that is merely a bonus.

There is one for sale in Italy with 'factory workers restoration and verification" which they are asking 25K (euro) for, which I will admit looks like the real deal but experts (not that I hold myself out as one) have been fooled before even with valuable items like the Ducati Green Frames.......who knows if someone will stump up that kind of money.

This particular bike I'd like to see in the flesh but going on past sales of "Discos" I'd say where the bidding is now is upper limit & it hasn't reached reserve.....so there you have it.

Disclaimer - this post is meant for information & use of Chuck aka silentservice703 anyone else relying on information contained herein does so at their own risk.

Thanks
Rob

MVA - Maserati Vespa
Agusta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 08:55 AM

Thank-you , Rob. As you know, I'd love to find a nice quality vintage MV. I don't want to get caught up in something that might be tarted up to be something it is not. I like the real deal.

As I have little experience with vintage MV bikes, I rely on the knowledge of this community. You, as a multi bike owner, and seeker of all things decadent, have my vote as someone with good information for us noobs.

I am the high bidder on this version...$10K USD max. I probably won't go higher, but I would like to find a nice, rideable, vintage MV some day.

Thanks, again, for your quick an ddesired input.

(Now, go squeeze Lou for me (and Cin!).)

Gapalicious 2019 at
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125

Last edited by silentservice703; 03-06-2015 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Because spell check doesn't really work.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 04:27 PM
Established Member

Nice Bike! Wish to have such a Little juwel. But there are to many flags on the tank. When it was built in 1954, I the guys in Gallarate wouldn't put a flag for the world Championship 1955 on it. The carb looks like an UB but Not sure.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 08:42 PM
Cyber SPOTTER

Quote:
Thank-you , Rob. As you know, I'd love to find a nice quality vintage MV. I don't want to get caught up in something that might be tarted up to be something it is not. I like the real deal.

As I have little experience with vintage MV bikes, I rely on the knowledge of this community. You, as a multi bike owner, and seeker of all things decadent, have my vote as someone with good information for us noobs.

I am the high bidder on this version...$10K USD max. I probably won't go higher, but I would like to find a nice, rideable, vintage MV some day.

Thanks, again, for your quick an ddesired input.

(Now, go squeeze Lou for me (and Cin!).)
Ha ha .....I was squeezing Lou before I even read you reply, I think it was 1.00am or thereabouts when I posted to you and as soon as I wrote my name on it the computer was off & in bed

Classics are difficult Chuck, everything has (pretty much) had some kind of tarting up on them at one stage or another and after a while it is nearly impossible to tell what was factory and what wasn't, to an extent the bikes evolve post build and almost become "correct" through sheer persistence.

The values are all over the shop and you can only see why when you meet them in the flesh as I am learning....some have a 'vibe' hard to explain but they just feel right, look right and turn out to be right. It is part knowledge, part feel, and part damn good fortune. You have to love it to do otherwise it will do your head in.

Feel free to PM me if you want to do stuff outside of the public arena.

It is a shame you didn't get a chance to hop across the ditch when you were in NZ as you could have ridden a couple of mine and it would have given you a better perspective. I am certainly not being rude when I say you a big man & they will struggle under you as the power output is small to start with, you may also find yourself cramped on a small single. I offer my Raid as an example - 250 single whilst spacious, weights in at very hefty 145kg - it struggles under its own weight and I need to change gears a fair bit even in slightly hilly circumstances and I weight around 64kg, so you get the idea.

But as a gorgeous art piece to look at, you certainly can't go past them so there's maybe two reasons for ownership of this particular one.

Hope this helps rather than confuse you!

MVA - Maserati Vespa
Agusta
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 09:14 PM
Big Randaddy

Quote:
I don't want to get caught up in something that might be tarted up.......

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 12:06 AM

64kg robbbieeee
fark id kill to be to that weight. my coach woould be soooooo happy
i walk around at 85kg and when i fight in the ring i have to cut weight to 72-74kg in a 6 week period and at 5ft 11 i look like death.

Sanity is the playground for the un-imaginative

2005 MV F4 1000S / 2006 Yamaha 50th anniversary R1 / 1998 Aprilia RS 125
1995 Suzuki RGV 250 / 2004 Cagiva Mito EVO2 / 2000 Cagiva mito
1992 Yamaha YZ250 / 1991 Kawasaki kr1s / 2010 Vespa GTS 300
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 07:49 AM
Cyber SPOTTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothermvfanatic View Post
64kg robbbieeee
fark id kill to be to that weight. my coach woould be soooooo happy
i walk around at 85kg and when i fight in the ring i have to cut weight to 72-74kg in a 6 week period and at 5ft 11 i look like death.
Too funny Rob....come here you can ride some classics & I'll train you - lol. Actually I weigh myself each Thursday to see where i am at & last 2 weigh ins I was at exactly 61.3kg I just like the sound of 64 (like the Beatles song) so I use that. .. I am 5.7 & half so shorter than you. ...I was at my heaviest in 2011 when I went to Bubbalicious and had blown out to 76kgs!

I am now at the weight when I was 22 and playing in semi pro soccer league so happy with that.

Not sure what this has to do with a Disco Volante - lol x100

MVA - Maserati Vespa
Agusta
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 09:03 AM

Rob, Cin and I are planning a future trip to the Land Down Under exclusively. WE plan on bombing in on the hospitality of you and Lou and traversing that massive country to visit Dons and some others, too. It'll be and epic trip...down the road.

ON the subject of classics, I'd like ot find a decent, rideable, U.S. bike...the search goes on. They seem to be hard to find here. More plentiful in Italy and such...I wonder why that is?

113 kg as of this morning, as god intended, and going strong!

Gapalicious 2019 at
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Email/Paypal:

'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode