Scarabs ipotesi master cylinder rubbers - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Scarabs ipotesi master cylinder rubbers

Hey guys and girls,

The new member to the family has arrived and after blowing some cobwebs out it is starting first kick, the next issues is making it stop. I tried to bleed the brakes and found the master cylinder jamming. I've pulled out the piston and I think I need to replace the rubbers on the piston, they might have swelled or something as they are far too tight, that or maybe someone has used the wrong fluid???

Anyway does anyone know where I might be able to obtain replacements for these rubber seal, I've read a few posts that suggest that the brake systems is one of the Achilles heels of the bike.

Would a brake place have something that would fit? Any assistance would be appreciated.

Regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 02:52 AM

Yep, Scarab brakes are a nightmare. I'd suggest you opt for a Brembo replacement which is quite common for the bikes, both today and when they were new. I think Magni supply a Brembo kit for the Ipotesi. If you really want to keep the Scarabs then it's pretty much e-bay. These sites may provide some assistance
bevelrubber and ducatimeccanica but I'm not sure.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy_J View Post
Hey guys and girls,

The new member to the family has arrived and after blowing some cobwebs out it is starting first kick, the next issues is making it stop. I tried to bleed the brakes and found the master cylinder jamming. I've pulled out the piston and I think I need to replace the rubbers on the piston, they might have swelled or something as they are far too tight, that or maybe someone has used the wrong fluid???

Anyway does anyone know where I might be able to obtain replacements for these rubber seal, I've read a few posts that suggest that the brake systems is one of the Achilles heels of the bike.

Would a brake place have something that would fit? Any assistance would be appreciated.

Regards
I had similar problems with my scarabs on the Ipotesi " fix one thing then another issue . In the end I got rid of them and bought the Brembo kit from Magni . Much better braking and you can get parts. Wish I never wasted my time and money on the Scarabs. You can order direct from Goivanni Magni, and it doesn't take that long.
Picture of rear brake.Cheers
Attached Images

1946 Mv Agusta "98"
1955 Mv Agusta 175cs
1960 Mv Agusta Rapido sport 150
1974 Mv Agusta 750 sport
1977 Mv Agusta 350 Felotti
2004 Mv Agusta F4 SR
2005 Mv Agusta Tamburini
2001 Ducati Mh900e Carbon dream
2004 Ducati 998R
2015 Vyrus 987

Last edited by adrian; 01-12-2015 at 05:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 05:57 AM

Front brake

Picture of the front brake.
Link : http://www.magni.it/kit_freni_350.htm
Attached Images

1946 Mv Agusta "98"
1955 Mv Agusta 175cs
1974 Mv Agusta 750 sport
2004 Mv Agusta F4 SR
2005 Mv Agusta Tamburini
2004 Ducati 998R
2015 Vyrus 987

Last edited by adrian; 01-12-2015 at 06:01 AM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 08:24 AM
Established Member

Can't speak specifically to the Ipotesi Scarab brakes, but I have Scarabs on my 750 America. My bike had been sitting unused for decades when I got it and the brakes needed a thorough going through. Road and Race (on your side of the planet) had all the rubber seal bits for the master and wheel cylinders. The rubber brake lines were trash so I replaced them with new braided SS ones. The master cylinder bore was also pitted so I had it resleeved with a SS liner. No leaks or other issues for several years now and the brakes work just fine. Seemed like basic brake service to me.
Hope that helps.
Chuck S.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 09:09 AM

As of my knowledge is Joerg Bohnenstiel in Germany might the last expert on Scarab, Lockheed and such early brakes.
He does this not as his main business but I know he would be not mad if I give You his email address.
So PM me if You need.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallaman View Post
Can't speak specifically to the Ipotesi Scarab brakes, but I have Scarabs on my 750 America. My bike had been sitting unused for decades when I got it and the brakes needed a thorough going through. Road and Race (on your side of the planet) had all the rubber seal bits for the master and wheel cylinders. The rubber brake lines were trash so I replaced them with new braided SS ones. The master cylinder bore was also pitted so I had it resleeved with a SS liner. No leaks or other issues for several years now and the brakes work just fine. Seemed like basic brake service to me.
Hope that helps.
Chuck S.
I tried that route also, and got parts from them as well. Buts still had issues.parts they sell are new old stock.
Brembo is a much better brake package ,i wouldn't waste my time and money on the Scarabs .

1946 Mv Agusta "98"
1955 Mv Agusta 175cs
1974 Mv Agusta 750 sport
2004 Mv Agusta F4 SR
2005 Mv Agusta Tamburini
2004 Ducati 998R
2015 Vyrus 987
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 06:05 PM
Cyber SPOTTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy_J View Post
Hey guys and girls,

Regards
You need to decide what you want out of this bike.

If you want an original bike that's period correct then you need to go through the headaches of getting the Scarabs to work correctly, which can be done, I offer 3 models that I have with Scarabs as an example which work (by 70's standards) perfectly.

If you want a ride-able efficient classic then you'd go down Adrian's path - the modern Brembos are better brakes, more efficient and certainly more reliable.

It is your bike and your choice

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MVA - Maserati Vespa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Agusta
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVista View Post
You need to decide what you want out of this bike.

If you want an original bike that's period correct then you need to go through the headaches of getting the Scarabs to work correctly, which can be done, I offer 3 models that I have with Scarabs as an example which work (by 70's standards) perfectly.

If you want a ride-able efficient classic then you'd go down Adrian's path - the modern Brembos are better brakes, more efficient and certainly more reliable.

It is your bike and your choice
Exactly Rob. Depends what you want.
For me the choice was easy as the bike is not standard anyway and I gave it a try with the Scarabs.

1946 Mv Agusta "98"
1955 Mv Agusta 175cs
1974 Mv Agusta 750 sport
2004 Mv Agusta F4 SR
2005 Mv Agusta Tamburini
2004 Ducati 998R
2015 Vyrus 987
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all your comments. Yes the use of the bike is the best starting point. I plan to ride the bike, not regularly but I want to have some fun, say 10-20 times a year, but initially I thought of trying to keep it as original as possible.

Having said that it's not original now and after seeing Adrian's photos the Brembos, they look awesome and I do like stopping when you need to.

I've sent Magni an email and asked for pricing, looks like it will be expensive. I've also contacted Road and Race to get some info, they have been very helpful and apparently parts are reproduced here in Aus. That surprised me as I didn't think we made anything anymore

So after I hear back from Magni, I'll make a decision on what way to go. Does anyone here have a ball park on pricing for this kit?

Cheers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode