175 engine variations - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

175 engine variations

Hi, Im new here.
A while ago I had an MV bitsa. A 125 that had been converted into a scrambler by a previous owner.
As my main interest however is in older motorcycles I sold it at some point to make room for other projects.
The quality and attention to detail of the bike however left an impression.

By accident I recently spotted a pile of 175 parts for sale and am thinking why not?
However, some questions remain before I decide on buying (or not). I would prefer to get an ohc and not a later 175 AB with the pushrods. My documentation is limited to the Colombo book, and after studying the pics in there I remain confused.

With the ohc I notice some have a big head and some a small. Those with the big one have a cover in the head where the camshaft is. Those also have an extra cover on the clutch cover behind which the points are located.
From reading here I know that sometimes these covers have 2 screws, sometimes 3 screws, but I have no clue what difference it makes.
The big heads are found in the CS and CSS and even the Squalo seems to have such an engine. Do they all have the same engine with mainly carb and camshaft differences, or is there more to it?

The pushrod AB engine and the earlier small head ohc look -to me- very similar. How can you -visually- tell them apart?

The pile of bits Im which sprouted my interest look (to me) like what once was a 1956 Turismo Lusso CTSL. So an ohc with the small head.
The pictures from the ad can be seen below. I would be curious to hear what you guys think.

Also, an engine which is stamped S and has the two screws points-cover, is that an engine from a CS originally? Does it makes sense to fit that in the bike from the pictures, or will that not even fit?

As you understand from the above, I still have to learn a lot about MVs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

If it helps, I can now add that the engine number starts with 41
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 03:17 AM

Talking

Hi Sarolea,

Welcome to the list! I love your idea of replicating a scrambler version. If you look thru this forum (or do a search) you can find some discussion and photos of MV 175 and 125 off road machines.

You're right, the motor shown in your photos is most likely an OHC Turismo motor. Hard to tell from a later 175 pushrod motor. Whatevr OHC motor you end up using, you can't go wrong. There are lots of restored Turismo models around, so if you did a nice job of a scrambler conversion, few should grumble. The Turismo motors run very well modified to take a Sport piston and carburetor.

Off the top of my head, here's a basic external ID description of the most common variations on 175 MV motors:
  • CS Turismo: small head, 18-20mm carb, no ignition well on left cover, T stamp (early production had no letter stamp)
  • CS Sport: big head, larger carb, ignition points well on left side with 2 or 3 screw cover, S stamp (early production had no letter stamp)
  • CS Super Sport: big head, 25mm carb, ignition points on left side with 3 screw cover, SS stamp
  • CS Super Sport "Squalo": big head (valve cover unique to Squalo), 25mm carb, magneto on left side, 5 speeds, 5v stamp
  • CSGT: Sport cases and ignition (2 hole) combined with Turismo small head and carb, 1957 only, rare! (may not have a letter stamp)
Motors are basically all interchangeable between frames, which has caused some confusion!

The 41xxxx prefix you noted is from (I think) 1957, look for date marks inside the motor.

Let us know what you end up doing.

Ivan

1954 MV 175 CSS Super Sport
1957 MV 175 CS Modello Sport
1967 Motobi 125 Sport
1974 Ducati 750 GT
Left Coast USA

Last edited by hulagun; 09-03-2014 at 03:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 09:18 AM

hi
i saw that one Engine had the letters csgt , i have talked to a seller .
he has a Engine with the number 47 ***6S
the stars is overmarked numbers on the Picture i get. and i Think its Three or four overmarked
the case is a css case with a letter s stamped on , but it have the small turismo head and carb .
is this Engine a 1957 csgt Engine then?
or is the case a css with changed head on?
kind regards ke
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 02:35 PM
Established Member

ke,
I own a 1957 CSGT- it and other CSGTs I've read about all have engine numbers in the 415xxxS sequence.
Rick
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akesvantesson View Post
hi
i saw that one Engine had the letters csgt , i have talked to a seller .
he has a Engine with the number 47 ***6S
the stars is overmarked numbers on the Picture i get. and i Think its Three or four overmarked
the case is a css case with a letter s stamped on , but it have the small turismo head and carb .
is this Engine a 1957 csgt Engine then?
or is the case a css with changed head on?
kind regards ke
I've not seen GT stamped on cases before, so far.
Usually they have no letter code?
Case stamping w/ 47**** and only one S = Sport case
Sounds like the head got changed somewhere along the way.

1954 MV 175 CSS Super Sport
1957 MV 175 CS Modello Sport
1967 Motobi 125 Sport
1974 Ducati 750 GT
Left Coast USA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode