MV Agusta Forum banner

New to the Forum need some advice..

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  blavenia 
#1 ·
Hey guys how ya doing my name is Ricky and i just joined the forum. Right now i currently own a 2006 R1 and was thinking about selling it to pick a MV F4 but im not sure yet. I love the R1 its an awesome bike but i do really like the MV's. Also i was wondering how does a 750 or 1000 compare to the R1? If anyone has been in a similar situation please help. Thanks...

#2 ·
I have had the japanese sport bikes and they are a lot of bike for the money. I then switched to the ducati's and thought I would be riding them utill my dieing days. I have since decided to try the MV's and am now wishing I would have saved myself a lot of money buying new duc's and just bought a MV a long time ago! I highly recommend the MV and do not think you will be disappointed, in fact I don't recommend test riding one unless you are serious about buying one. You will kick yourself everytime you see one if you don't buy it and say to yourself I should have bought the MV!!! As far as 312 vs R, both have plenty of power to get you in LOTS of trouble! BUY THE MV!!!

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum, if coming from an R1 I would suggest going for the 1000 as the 750 probably won't do it for you in terms of power.

The R1 is a great bike as are all the late model sportsbikes and lets be honest there would not be a whole lot in the lap times (though the MV would take it :stickpoke :naughty: ) but that said in my biased opinion the MV is a far better riding experience; in terms of feel, the front end is second to none), the torque of the engine in the 1000 is more like a twin than the the other 1000's out there and the sound is just superb...something you need to experience, also visually it's just a such a pleasure to look at...I love looking at mine more now than when I purchased it.

The bike is a little heavier on the slow tight stuff and putting around town but at high speeds it's the most stable of the bunch.

The more you ride these things the better they get and in short IMO you won't be sorrry if you part with the R1 for the MV F4 1000.

#6 ·
I went a little different route. I got rid of my 04R1 and now have the Brutale 910R. I have never regretted the decision. The chassis and brakes on the MVs are second to none. I have ridden high perfomance bikes for 30 years and the MV has made the summer of 07 the best one yet.

#7 ·
I owned an R1 as well as currently having a 2005 S 1000. I can tell you the R1 is a very good bike on its own, but there is something very different about owning the MV.

Also, I wouldn't recommend the 750 at all if you're coming off an R1. What you need is an F4 1000 more than a 750. I can say the R1 handled well, but the MV turns much better with much better feel and feedback. At times the R1 was a little squishy, but my MV is not. The MV does feel a little heavier in the slower, really tight stuff like the tail of the dragon, but once the road turns to sweepers or something a little more spirirted than just making turn after turn it really shines.

I will say it's more expensive to maintain with the AGIP oil, and the dealers are fewer and further between than your average Yamaha dealer, but I've had no problems. The MV also carries a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty as opposed to the 1 year warranty of the R1.

Where are you writing from? I'd be happy to show you the MV in person and let you see what you think. It's a religious experience on an MV, not just a ride like on an R1. You'll find yourself looking at your MV in the garage even when you don't have any plans to go for a ride. It's that amazing. I really cared about my R1, but I LOVE my MV.

Let us know where you are located, and good luck making your decision.

Best wishes,
b

#9 ·
Here's my $.02. I've had an '02 and '04 R1 as well as the 750 and 1000 versions of the MV.

I always use to think the '04 R1's engine is the engine MV would build if it make a 1000cc version of the 750's engine. Both are short stroke and need to be rev'ed. Ironically, when the F41000 can out, the engine's personality was not at all like the 750 version. I could consider the F41000 to be very similar to the '02 R1 - a torque monster.

I always felt the front end feedback was better on the F4 than any other bike I've owned. But other other thing you'll notice very quickly is that the MV is so much narrower than the '04 R1!

The R1's have always had great brakes. I've never ridden a F4R or 312 but I suppose it woudl be very close?

#10 ·
blavenia said:
I owned an R1 as well as currently having a 2005 S 1000. I can tell you the R1 is a very good bike on its own, but there is something very different about owning the MV.

Also, I wouldn't recommend the 750 at all if you're coming off an R1. What you need is an F4 1000 more than a 750. I can say the R1 handled well, but the MV turns much better with much better feel and feedback. At times the R1 was a little squishy, but my MV is not. The MV does feel a little heavier in the slower, really tight stuff like the tail of the dragon, but once the road turns to sweepers or something a little more spirirted than just making turn after turn it really shines.

I will say it's more expensive to maintain with the AGIP oil, and the dealers are fewer and further between than your average Yamaha dealer, but I've had no problems. The MV also carries a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty as opposed to the 1 year warranty of the R1.

Where are you writing from? I'd be happy to show you the MV in person and let you see what you think. It's a religious experience on an MV, not just a ride like on an R1. You'll find yourself looking at your MV in the garage even when you don't have any plans to go for a ride. It's that amazing. I really cared about my R1, but I LOVE my MV.

Let us know where you are located, and good luck making your decision.

Best wishes,
b
Thanks for the input. im actually from CT but currently in FL. Seeing the bike in person is what got me to thinking. It is abosulatly stunning. I just need to take one for a ride and see what it really feels like then go from there.

#11 ·
Get ready for a rough ride. The F4 is wonderful on glassy tracks, but isn't built for potholes and rough roads. That, combined with the piece of plywood they give you for a seat makes for a spine tingling (not in a good way!) experience.

Think of it in terms of: An R6 is to a CBR600 as the MV is to the R1. Just a little bit more focused at the sacrifice of some comfort.

Also be prepared to spend some coin on aftermarket stuff. No $300 slipons here. A full Ti system will set you back around $4,000. Carbon air ducts cost around $1,500 for the pair.

It also weighs a bit more than the R1 (by about 30lbs). You can lose that weight pretty easily (but costly) by going with a Full Ti system (~12lbs less than stock), some Marchesinis (~12lbs less than stock) and a carbon gas tank(~6lbs less than stock).

No one can decide for you, but I buy bikes based on what moves my soul. The MV does that when it's sitting in the garage and when it accelerating out of the corner. I never looked back.

#12 ·
2001S4ICS said:
Thanks for the input. im actually from CT but currently in FL. Seeing the bike in person is what got me to thinking. It is abosulatly stunning. I just need to take one for a ride and see what it really feels like then go from there.

Well, all I can say is stop in Tennessee at deal's gap on your way home and I'll show you the MV! :) Once you get close to it, see it, smell it, touch it, you'll buy one for sure.

As listed above, upgrades for an MV are NOT cheap. Be prepared. Then again, the bike is set up just fine the way it comes. You will feel every bump as listed in the previous post, I will agree to that. But the feedback when you push it and want to know what's going on at the front end is amazing.

Good luck in your search. I hope some of us have helped you. There is a wealth of knowledge on here, and you'll find many of the members are more than willing to talk bikes anytime.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.