Camshaft stand screws, part 800085071 -- torque/threadlock-or-not/sources? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Camshaft stand screws, part 800085071 -- torque/threadlock-or-not/sources?

I am doing the valves on my 2012 Brutale 1090RR for the first time -- both for me and the bike -- and have these questions regarding the bolts that hold the camshaft stands to the heads, 16 total, part number 800085071 -- an M6x35 bolt with partial threads, page G04 in the parts fiche:

1) the manual specifies the torque of 12 Nm on these. On my bike, they were EASILY double that, or more. Should I tighten them to the prescribed 12Nm when I put them back in? Threadlock or not (originals do not show any signs of loctite and the manual does not call for it explicitly)?
2) how do you access them with a torque wrench?! (or at all, for that matter... I'll use the lowest profile bit on hand and possibly an extender on the torque wrench but I don't think I'll be able to get to all of them still... Does anyone tighten them by hand, by feel, without a torque wrench? Seems like they did at the factory
3) Anyone replaced these with a non-OEM? Any reason not to use readily available bolts from, say, McMaster-Carr as long as they are the same Class 12.9? Any reason to use stainless here [or not]?

Appreciate any advice...

P.S. Starting to love my Guzzis more and more...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 07:58 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Snap On makes the correct tool. It is 3/8" drive, the hex piece is about 6" long and reaches the bolts. It's still a very tight fit, but it works.

Don't use thread lock.

I don't see why you can't re use them. I suppose you could argue about bolt stretch, but these screws are not replaced at the service, rather they are re used.

What kind of Guzzis do you have?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Snap On makes the correct tool. It is 3/8" drive, the hex piece is about 6" long and reaches the bolts.
Would you be so kind as to point me to it specifically? I do have a straight 6" hex driver but it does not reach some of these -- the frame is in the way no matter what. Maybe I am misunderstanding you... I also have the ball-end version of the same but obviously don't want to use it to torque...

Quote:
I don't see why you can't re use them.
I am; it's just that one of the bolts took even more effort to undo than the rest due to difficulty of access, and while the head is not stripped, it is less than perfect now and I'd rather replace it than re-use. I can put it in a different location that guarantees better access, plus with the right torque they should be much easier to take out next time but still...

Quote:
What kind of Guzzis do you have?
My current ones are a V7R and a Black Eagle. I've owned many others in the past, mostly big blocks. I like a few different bikes, and the Brutale completely stole my heart when I rode it first -- first 4-cylinder ever that did -- but the Guzzis are the true love Also a bonus that by now I know them very well and am very comfortable with their tuning and maintenance.

Thank you for such a prompt reply!

Last edited by makarushka; 06-02-2014 at 09:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 10:56 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink ?

makarushka;

reuse the stock 12.9 bolts, torque them to the spec........as Carl said DO NOT use Loctite.......

stainless bolts aren't 12.9 forget about them......

you think your's were over torqued?????? I sheared off a 5mm SnapOn Allen wrench on one at around ~80 lb/ft asshole mechanics

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Skype; theknurl
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknurl View Post
makarushka;
you think your's were over torqued?????? I sheared off a 5mm SnapOn Allen wrench on one at around ~80 lb/ft
Yep! That's how mine felt; I was amazed that the allen wrench I used held up.

Thank you both!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode