First ride 2011 BRUTALE 1090RR issues :( - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
KJL

First ride 2011 BRUTALE 1090RR issues :(

Hey guys,

I should start by saying what a bike! I had my first real ride of the season last weekend in the Muskoka area in Ontario. I was with several other bikes, a 2012 Multistrada, a 2011 Tuono, a 2006 R6, a 2008 Ducati 1098, a 2010 FZ8 and a 1999 VFR. Wow we hit some technical roads, some fast long sweepers, a little rain, lots of sun and a whole lotta fun!

The down side...

The first 10 KM my clutch side mirror fell off my bike. It appears the bike was dropped prior to me purchasing it and a small hairline crack to the mirror housing and the mirror finally gave away. So needless to say the next 500KM was done using a lot of head checks.

My choke on the right side handlebar doesn't work at all. On cold starts the bike takes a little to warm up not a huge issue but would of been nice to know when I purchased the bike from the dealer that the choke didn't work.

My hydraulic clutch needs some adjustments. Even when my clutch lever is pulled in all the way I can feel a small engine pull. Any suggestions? Another thing the dealer forgot to mention to me on the purchase date.

A small engine oil leak on both sides of the engine. I'm not good with terms of the MV motor but I'll describe what is happening. On the MV portion on the left side of the bike a small build of oil has accumulated after a hard ride. I've cleaned up the residue and it eventually comes back. Not enough to be dripping off the bike but definitely isn't clean. On the other side of the bike I noticed a small run off of oil coming from the oil cap. This is the first I time I've seen an oil cap tightened / loosened by an Allen key. The cap appeared to be tight when I checked it. When I took the cap off I noticed a white scum on the o-ring. A friend of mine said this could be water. He said when you mix water and oil it makes this white scum. No water was in the oil but maybe it was on the threads of the cap?? I don't know...

On a straight stretch of the road my upper chain guard broke off the bike and went flying away. This was brought to my attention on a fuel up by a buddy who was behind me.

Well, I think that is all that went wrong on this ride... The bike rides amazingly and has so much power from start to end of the rev ranges. I'm really happy with the bike but WTF...

I've sent an email to the store where I purchased the bike. The sales rep said he forwarded my email to the manager... So... Listen I'm not looking for a miracle here just some help with a new mirror, a chain guard and maybe a tune up... Is that a lot to ask?

A group of us are thinking of Pennsylvania for our June ride... Here is to hoping I can at least get the mirror by then!

Any suggestions for where I can order a upper chain guard and mirror? I'm in Canada but am willing to buy from where I have to.

I'm hoping the store where I bought the bikes comes through but I'd like to have options if they don't...

I'll add a few pics

KJL

Last edited by KJL; 05-28-2014 at 08:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
KJL

pics

A few pics of the bikes and issues listed
KJL

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJL View Post
Hey guys,

I should start by saying what a bike! I had my first real ride of the season last weekend in the Muskoka area in Ontario. I was with several other bikes, a 2012 Multistrada, a 2011 Tuono, a 2006 R6, a 2008 Ducati 1098, a 2010 FZ8 and a 1999 VFR. Wow we hit some technical roads, some fast long sweepers, a little rain, lots of sun and a whole lotta fun!

The down side...

The first 10 KM my clutch side mirror fell off my bike. It appears the bike was dropped prior to me purchasing it and a small hairline crack to the mirror housing and the mirror finally gave away. So needless to say the next 500KM was done using a lot of head checks.

My choke on the right side handlebar doesn't work at all. On cold starts the bike takes a little to warm up not a huge issue but would of been nice to know when I purchased the bike from the dealer that the choke didn't work.

My hydraulic clutch needs some adjustments. Even when my clutch lever is pulled in all the way I can feel a small engine pull. Any suggestions? Another thing the dealer forgot to mention to me on the purchase date.

A small engine oil leak on both sides of the engine. I'm not good with terms of the MV motor but I'll describe what is happening. On the MV portion on the left side of the bike a small build of oil has accumulated after a hard ride. I've cleaned up the residue and it eventually comes back. Not enough to be dripping off the bike but definitely isn't clean. On the other side of the bike I noticed a small run off of oil coming from the oil cap. This is the first I time I've seen an oil cap tightened / loosened by an Allen key. The cap appeared to be tight when I checked it. When I took the cap off I noticed a white scum on the o-ring. A friend of mine said this could be water. He said when you mix water and oil it makes this white scum. No water was in the oil but maybe it was on the threads of the cap?? I don't know...

On a straight stretch of the road my upper chain guard broke off the bike and went flying away. This was brought to my attention on a fuel up by a buddy who was behind me.

Well, I think that is all that went wrong on this ride... The bike rides amazingly and has so much power from start to end of the rev ranges. I'm really happy with the bike but WTF...

I've sent an email to the store where I purchased the bike. The sales rep said he forwarded my email to the manager... So... Listen I'm not looking for a miracle here just some help with a new mirror, a chain guard and maybe a tune up... Is that a lot to ask?

A group of us are thinking of Pennsylvania for our June ride... Here is to hoping I can at least get the mirror by then!

Any suggestions for where I can order a upper chain guard and mirror? I'm in Canada but am willing to buy from where I have to.

I'm hoping the store where I bought the bikes comes through but I'd like to have options if they don't...

I'll add a few pics

KJL
Attached Images

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 10:46 AM

Hey Man, if you're willing to come back to Ottawa, I'll give you my left side mirror. I replaced my mirrors and signals with bar-ends so I've got the mirror doing nothing.

One catch though is I cut the signal connector off so you'll want to save yours and attach it to the one I give ya.

Let me know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 11:27 AM

New Site Garage
Smile

Hi KJL. No serious issue's then

If this good fella can't get you sorted with a mirror, I'm sure the shop should help you though, the forum sponsors all sell various aftermarket items.

Okay, the oil leaking from the filler cap is probably just a pinched o-ring, just replace it with the right size one which you can get from any spares place. I wonder if the white stuff you got in there was not a sealer somebody had tried to use. It might even just be water from your ride in the wet.

The l/h side oil leak is a common and simple fix. Remove the little cover, you don't even have to drain the oil, clean the mating faces and flatten with a fine sand paper (this is to smooth the spot where the engine cases join), apply some gasket sealer to the cover over the existing o-ring, and replace cover carefully. Don't strip the bolts. 10 min job.

Have a look in the maintenance section, this come's around every now and again on various models.
The picture I posted is from another members on the forum, but yours will be similar.

Good luck, and great to see you have fun.
Attached Images

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
KJL

Poon Stick,

If you could mail me the mirror that would be fantastic!! Let me know the cost I could email you some cash. or... Not sure if the post does this anymore but send it COD.. Let me know if this works for you.. I'm about 5 hours North of Ottawa I won't be going back anytime soon.

Thanks for the reply and offer!

KJL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poon Stick View Post
Hey Man, if you're willing to come back to Ottawa, I'll give you my left side mirror. I replaced my mirrors and signals with bar-ends so I've got the mirror doing nothing.

One catch though is I cut the signal connector off so you'll want to save yours and attach it to the one I give ya.

Let me know
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
KJL

Donsy,

Thanks for the quick reply and fix for the oil leak... Looks like a job I can do for sure!

Any ideas for the clutch issue I'm having?

KJL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
Hi KJL. No serious issue's then

If this good fella can't get you sorted with a mirror, I'm sure the shop should help you though, the forum sponsors all sell various aftermarket items.

Okay, the oil leaking from the filler cap is probably just a pinched o-ring, just replace it with the right size one which you can get from any spares place. I wonder if the white stuff you got in there was not a sealer somebody had tried to use. It might even just be water from your ride in the wet.

The l/h side oil leak is a common and simple fix. Remove the little cover, you don't even have to drain the oil, clean the mating faces and flatten with a fine sand paper (this is to smooth the spot where the engine cases join), apply some gasket sealer to the cover over the existing o-ring, and replace cover carefully. Don't strip the bolts. 10 min job.

Have a look in the maintenance section, this come's around every now and again on various models.
The picture I posted is from another members on the forum, but yours will be similar.

Good luck, and great to see you have fun.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 06:36 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJL View Post
Donsy,

Thanks for the quick reply and fix for the oil leak... Looks like a job I can do for sure!

Any ideas for the clutch issue I'm having?

KJL
Sorry, I forgot about that one, there's a bit of this going around with a couple of guys on other models, in most cases it requires for a decent bleed of the hydraulic system.
You mentioned that the bikes been dropped, have got standard lever on, some aftermarket levers can cause issues, if standard, have a look to see if adjusting lever travel makes any difference.

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 08:25 PM

KJL,

My bike had all the same issues to a T.

Mirror was warranteed, new ones don't fly out.

Engine side cover was fixed with some RTV/silicone, no issues since.

The newer style chain guards have an additional fastener near the front to prevent this from reoccurring.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
KJL

Thanks for all the replies gentlemen! My levers are aftermarket does anyone know of an article on how to bleed the hydraulic clutch? I'm no mechanic but I follow instructions well. Also, anyone with information on the choke? Is there a way to fix the fast idle or tighten it? I spoke with a service rep at the dealership and was told none of those chokes have ever worked... Seems odd to me... One last questions.. Does the 2011 MV Agusta Brutle RR come with a rear tire hugger? Mine has none and the rear shock is taking a beating with dirt and all sorts of road scum. Thanks guys! Being part of this forum has been a huge help. KJL
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 11:35 AM

New Site Garage
Okay KJL, here's the deal.
Have a bit of a read through some of the other sections, Maintenance, Customizing etc.
Not giving you shit here, just showing you the way, all of this has been done by other guys who have shared all the info.

In the maintenance section or even by looking at my signature, you will find there is a website you can go to and download a workshop and engine manual for your bike.

By looking around in the workshop manual you will find that the little lever is not a choke but rather a way of just increasing idle in your bike. This can be easily adjusted via the throttle cables.

Huggers are available from all the forum sponsors.
I'm now starting to worry about your dealers service crew.

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode