B4 most reliable of the MV family? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

B4 most reliable of the MV family?

Hey guys,

I was wondering whether the "aging" B4 bikes 910,920,990, and 1090 brutales can be considered as the most reliable of the MV family, compared to the more recent electronically sophisticated B3, F3 and F4.

Opinion highly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 01:48 PM

New Site Garage
what about 1078, 989? are you referring to only electronics? which the oldr generation does not have.

4,5Mg~3Al~2Ti~Fe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Yes indeed that's what I am referring to... older 4 cylinders bikes that don't have lots of electronics; even the new brutale corsa is somewhat parsimonious when it comes to the electronics! I have the impression that most problems occurring in MVs are electronically related rather than mechanical...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 03:13 PM

Tough to do a comparison against any B3 or F3. Those bikes haven't been around long enough, or really logged enough saddle time to make a fair comparison, IMHO.

"When the people fear their government there is tyranny,when the government fears the people there is liberty. My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government"--Thomas Jefferson
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 10:02 AM

New Site Garage
Plus if you consider that SPU failure was common with the pre-2010 generation it's hard to say weather it's truly more reliable than the B3, F3, F4 electronic issues other than that it's known and/or expected. Once they get the bugs worked out I'm sure a few years down the road they may be considered exceptionally reliable as well.

Reliability is a result of knowledge and experience.

Speed is relative, but fast is fast.

- 2011 brutale 1090R (Matte pearl white/Black)
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 12:21 PM
Big Randaddy

It's reliably assured that chicks dig Brutie riders.....the earlier the better.

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt M. View Post
Tough to do a comparison against any B3 or F3. Those bikes haven't been around long enough, or really logged enough saddle time to make a fair comparison, IMHO.
Yup. Could be reliable as rocks; could have issues which will only show up over time.

OP, your sig line indicates you "have" a B 920. Are you looking for a different bike or are you just curious? If you're curious, it's like a 90 year old man. The obituary page matters a lot more than the actuarial tables. Only what happens to YOUR bike matters.

But if you're considering a replacement, here's my take on what you should consider especially before buying another Italian...

The Display thing: MV's are mostly display bikes, few are out there to begin with; far fewer get ridden very much; waaaay fewer get ridden really hard. Pretty hard to get meaningful numbers on reliability.

Dealer support: MV dealers are few and far between. All the difference in the world between having an MV dealer in your area and having a COMPETENT MV dealer in your area. Before I sold it I did all the maintenance on my B4 myself and had no issues. Some amazing stories about what happened to the bike a few weeks after the new guy got it (and took it to the local dealer).

New vs used: The only thing in the MV lineup worth looking at today, IMO, is one of the triples. The "new" fours are just a warm-over of what's basically a 90's-era design. Any older B4 will have some years on it. Mileage or not, hoses crack, electronic connections oxidize, crap goes south. Hard to know what maintenance was done or how. So be prepared for that and everything else that goes along with it like lack of availability or long wait times on certain parts.

If you are actually looking for a sport naked do NOTHING before looking at the KTM 1290R.

Harley-Davidson: Seen one, heard 'em all...
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

I was about to trade my B920 for an F3 at first; but the wifey insisted that a super sport bike is way UNCOMFORTABLE compared to the brutale! It also happened that in line 4 cyl are my fav as they suit my driving style! I have literally read all posts in the F3 forums and had the impression that they are causing a substantial amount of problems! That's when I decided to keep the b920 at first!

Do you know that itchy feeling where you get "bored" with yiur bike especially that it was giving me some tough times (it needs regular air/fuel tuning or else the rpm becomes unstable at idle), I was leaving towards the street triple, until I rode one last Sunday! That's when I realized that I can't ride anything else than 4 cylinders bikes.

MVs are exotic bikes, and as you pointed out they are rarely ridden a lot. Nevertheless I commute everyday on my brutale, I average around 10,000 km per year; I simply hope that 10 years down the line my b920 would not give me a lot of headache...
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

I forgot to add, that I'm waiting for a good deal on a 1090 RR! You think the 4 cylinders brutale will stick around for the next 10 years or so?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 09:35 AM

Will they keep the B4 in the lineup? Probably as all the development costs have been amortized. But don't hold your breath waiting on a new one. It takes a HUGE amount of development money to roll out a new bike and MV has never suffered from an overabundance of cash.

The B4's day in the sun has long passed. Right now, the B3 is the winner for MV. The market for middleweights is huge and the market is soft with only a couple other triples. The 800 really hits a sweet spot with small size and weight along with great performance which only makes it tougher for the B4.

I had a Brutale since '05 so I've got some perspective. If I HAD to have an MV, it would be a B3 800. If I wanted a big sport naked, it would be the KTM 1290R, hands down. If I HAD to buy Italian it would be a Ducati, probably a Hyper SP or a Pikes Peak but there, too, you're dealing with a dated motor.

Harley-Davidson: Seen one, heard 'em all...

Last edited by emmvee; 06-04-2014 at 09:38 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode