Stopped dead - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Stopped dead

G'day all,

Set off for work this morning and she stopped dead 200m down the road at the first corner. I had just fitted a Brembo RCS master cylinder and rigged up a micro switch for the brake that I got from Jaycar (local electronics shop) the day before. Brake light worked fine in testing but I hadn't started the bike (just ignition on).

It seemed to happen as I braked for the corner. Lost power and cut out. All dash lights o.k., tacho needle sweeps etc. but wont crank.

Did notice that the brake light was constantly on (with ignition) from then even when I pulled the wires from the micro switch. Had to get the car for work so haven't had time to investigate yet.

Bikes a 2009 1078RR Brutale. Tried a few searhes but not much comes up with the words I'm trying.

Cheers

Deano
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 05:03 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
G'day all,

Set off for work this morning and she stopped dead 200m down the road at the first corner. I had just fitted a Brembo RCS master cylinder and rigged up a micro switch for the brake that I got from Jaycar (local electronics shop) the day before. Brake light worked fine in testing but I hadn't started the bike (just ignition on).

It seemed to happen as I braked for the corner. Lost power and cut out. All dash lights o.k., tacho needle sweeps etc. but wont crank.

Did notice that the brake light was constantly on (with ignition) from then even when I pulled the wires from the micro switch. Had to get the car for work so haven't had time to investigate yet.

Bikes a 2009 1078RR Brutale. Tried a few searhes but not much comes up with the words I'm trying.

Cheers

Deano
undo the mods you have recently done and see if she runs,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

KLEIN
XTZ 1200
1078RR
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 02:56 AM

Hi Deano, sorry mate , but what where actually trying to do , with your mod, cheers eddy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 03:56 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Stopped dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddypro View Post
Hi Deano, sorry mate , but what where actually trying to do , with your mod, cheers eddy
Eddy,

It wasn't a mod. I just fitted a Brembo front brake master cylinder. It didn't come with a micro switch for the front brake light. The standard one wouldn't suit so I bought one from a local electronics store and modified it to suit. Worked fine in testing with ignition on but not running.

Have just finished an initial investigation:-

Reconnected the standard micro switch and the brake light remains on regardless of whether button is pushed or not with ignition on.

Fuel pump does not prime when ignition is switched on and bike wont crank when starter is pushed. Everything else seems as normal ie. dash lights, tacho sweep, indicators, horn etc.

Checked all fuses and they appear o.k. Will continuity check them later.

I run a Microtech from Chris and when I connected to the computer to check a map was still loaded I went to the monitor screen. From here you can start the bike remotely and prime the pump. The bike cranks from here and the pump primes but wont start.???????????

I'm thinking spu????????????????? Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Deano
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 05:03 AM

Check that you don't have a short circuit in the brake lever wiring.

Last edited by revhead1957; 03-05-2014 at 05:11 AM.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 07:15 AM

Deano check for loose fuel line .or crimped fuel line ,this has happened to me,check for bubbles in the fuel tank when cranking some type of hose comes off in there.grab a torch and have a look.no matches please.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 07:19 AM

check all your fuses again,one by one ,check side stand switch
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 07:20 AM

very unlikely to be the spu on these bikes
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddypro View Post
Deano check for loose fuel line .or crimped fuel line ,this has happened to me,check for bubbles in the fuel tank when cranking some type of hose comes off in there.grab a torch and have a look.no matches please.
Eddy,

Yeah, had that one a while ago. Had them nearly all now - hub, fuel hoses, headlight etc. If it turns out to be the spu I'll have the complete set! Fuel pump doesn't prime except via the Microtune program.

I'll chase down a short in the brake light system. Something wrong there and according to the wiring diagram it runs through the spu. Why this stops cranking and the fuel pump who knows? Green steam is definitely not my forte and I'm flying blind here except for the simple basics!

Cheers

Deano
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 05:02 PM

Mate, that is just weird. spu are not cheap?

maybe someone else on here has some ideas

cheers eddy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode