Crackedalytic convertor - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 03:04 AM Thread Starter

Crackedalytic convertor

Thought you might be interested in this. My 1078RR has a 85 mm vertical crack in the catalytic converter. The bike is still under warranty and I have notified the shop and am just waiting to hear back from them about what they will do to fix the problem. It has sounded wrong for a while now and I just thought it was getting out of tune then I discovered the crack on the weekend which I think explains the strange exhaust note and rough running/backfiring.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 03:41 AM

Wow, thats incredible,how many k's have you done.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 06:03 AM

That's a good excuse to buy a new aftermarket exhaust! Or maybe just a pipe to replace the converter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 02:13 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink

pull the pipe and take it to a welder, problem solved

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Skype; theknurl
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 05:01 PM

Too bad you're not in the States, I have 2 of these that are about to go in the garbage can! One I just threw out behind the house last week.....I still need to pull the little plugs out of it for the replacement Ti system that's going in its place.

These are scrap metal in the States
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 07:41 PM

Wink little plugs?

Resom;
make sure you put Never Seize on the little plugs just like on the 02 sensor

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 03:36 AM Thread Starter

15000km on the bike now. I know it can be welded but I would hope that under warranty they should replace the unit rather than just weld it. I have been thinking for a while now about getting a spare cat and gutting it and converting it to a muffler that exits under the bike (Buell style). I would like to polish it all up because as you can see the stainless has gone rusty looking with the heat and looks crap.

Resom if you want to PM me we could discuss me taking one off your hands. The catch is how to get it to New Zealand without spending a million dollars on freight. The expensive part is the extra money that I have to spend on a Power Commander Race ECU and dyno time to make it all run after I modify the exhaust. Yes I know about the microteck (?) system thanks but that's way out of my price ability.

I enjoy making things out of stainless.
I custom built an under-seat system for my BMW when I had that years ago and I designed it so I could change the baffling easily so I could get the sound I wanted from it so I will probably do something similar with the Brute, but I have to be able to tune the motor to match. The Beemer lost about 7 kg in weight and was the best sounding boxer you ever heard but it was running so lean it was going to melt a piston and it was not worth spending lots of money and time on a PC so I took it off again. I made a pack rack for my Aprillia which I kept and modified it to go on the Brutale so I have somewhere to carry stuff if I go away on a long trip and that's all stainless which works well and looks good. I just discovered over Xmas that the Givi top box of my wife's scooter fits it so that's going to be useful storage but yeah I know that is real fugly but sometime's practicality comes before beauty (not often though) It mounts where the back seat pad goes so it goes on and comes off real easy
Cheers guys

Last edited by Bikenbear; 02-07-2014 at 04:05 AM. Reason: A
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 05:07 AM

New Site Garage
Hi Evan.
Good luck with the warranty on a 4 year old bike (?), and I understand you feel you can fix this if you need to.

It's been proved in many cases that guys de-cat these bikes, using the same ECU and just putting the O2 sensor back in the pipe, with no problems, some bikes running better than before the de-cat.

Not saying you will melt pistons either, that's pushing the envelope a bit, not like it's a RZ350, and not saying it won't need a Power Commander or Microtec, just saying that if it was my bike, I'd give it a shot first.

Just have a look on the forum at the amount of people who's done mods, with great result's at minimum cost's, and no, forget that Buell exhaust theory..

FWIW, I would not try de-cat that standard shit-box, it's so thin and ugly.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 05:19 AM

Please please don't polish that thing, it will only draw attention to it.

"When the people fear their government there is tyranny,when the government fears the people there is liberty. My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government"--Thomas Jefferson
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 02:41 PM

Wink

Donsy;
here smog crap must last 50,000mi so they'd have to warranty it

I agree don't decat, replace

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode