Newbie W/910S Suspension Power delivery Q's. Please help... - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Angry Newbie W/910S Suspension Power delivery Q's. Please help...

Greetings!

My name is Gabriel, live in So. Cal. and recently "got involved" with a 2006 MV Agusta Brutale 910S with 3000 miles. For the record I've been riding 20+ years both on and off-road. I've got 50k+ Miles riding Ducatis and an Aprilia with a couple track days under my belt and MANY miles on other bikes, but this is my 1st MV :-)

But for the life of me I cannot get the suspension to make me feel at all confident. I weigh 155 pounds. After playing around plenty with the forks I have them FAIRLY confidence-inspiring but with NO preload (still not regularly bottoming them according to my zip tie test) or compression damping but rebound is jacked almost all the way up. Otherwise they are not compliant and bounce around quite a bit.

The rear shock has almost all of the preload dialed out and both Hi and Low speed compression damping an minimum. Rebound damping is at maximum. But the rear end STILL feels like it bounces all over the place and is very harsh over bumps.

ALSO the awesomely abrupt off/on throttle power delivery has me very concerned when I need to be light on the throttle (hairpin corners for example). Messes me all up.

ANY and ALL advice and suggestions/recommendations will be GREATLY appreciated! I really want to like and keep this bike. But at the moment I'm a bit pissed that I cannot get it to ride in a way that makes me feel comfortable.

My thoughts were perhaps sending the shock to Race Tech and getting a Hyperpro Purple Passion spring (they're nifty) for the shock or maybe seeing if Ohlins has anything. Perhaps some Race Tech springs for the forks (and valves?) and finding out what you good folk have done with Power Commanders and the like to get less aggressive on'off throttle response. By the way, I do have a mid-pipe on order to get rid of the cat but otherwise plan to leave the stock exhaust on her.

So THANKS VERY MUCH for reading my ramblings and for your help thanks in advance.

Ride Well,

Gabriel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 08:22 PM

I can't answer your suspension question, but I can say that all modern MV's are twitchy on the throttle. A poorly tuned bike will be more twitchy, but they are all a bit twitchy and require a light touch on the throttle.
Coming off twins will make you a bit lax on the throttle, as they are usually alot smoother.

You gotta be crazy, gotta have a real need....
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 08:24 PM

I will try and help a bit. My 910s [Marzocchi fork] was a bit harsh to begin with but put a few miles on it and it loosened up quite a bit. Anyhoo, Spring preload, front and rear should be set up for your weight in riding gear with helmet. The stock springs work well with a rider and gear weight of 150 - 175lbs so you should be good with the suspension as it is.
The front sag measurement should be 30mm +/- 5mm for the street,
Rear sag should be 25 - 30mm.
Do you know how to set static sag?

Once you have set your basic static sag measurement that becomes your base setting and does not change much - one turn in for stiffer one turn out for a bit softer almost all your changes will then come from rebound and compression settings which is your ride 'quality' Remember you are trying to get both ends 'balanced' and 'compliant'

This is a good and reliable method for setting static sag:
http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0308_geek/

Generally - rule of thumb stuff - low speed compression [rolling bumps] should be 3 or 4 clicks softer than the rebound setting. Add 2 clicks at at time to feel a change. High speed compression [sharp edged bumps] try 3 clicks in from full soft and 1 click at a time to find something you like.

Just making suggestions here - I don't mean to come across as a prick or anything but you should be able to dial in something that works quite well - my suspension is damn good - not 'fantastic' but damn good - If I had money to burn I'd invest in this deal:
http://speedzilla.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35591

from the DoS guy great prices too....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 01:28 AM

After getting my valves back in spec, the throttle smoothed out very nicely.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 02:39 AM
Established Member

quacker nice brief explanation. I may well go and see what mine is actually set to as I did soften the back end a bit as it tended to throw me over the handle bars on bumps but at a service they keep putting it back. But I have noticed now that the front tends to drop in to corners and the back locks up easily even on change down.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 07:14 AM

Gabriel,if you follow Quacker`s advice you should get a set up about as good as you can without going to too much expense,changing the fork oil might be something to think about.getting rid of the cat and a proper tune will help the snatchiness,disconnecting one of the throttle return springs will make coming back onto the power easier as it makes the throttle action much lighter
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john348
quacker nice brief explanation. I may well go and see what mine is actually set to as I did soften the back end a bit as it tended to throw me over the handle bars on bumps but at a service they keep putting it back. But I have noticed now that the front tends to drop in to corners and the back locks up easily even on change down.
Your front springs are probably too soft. Check the sag. Fix the springs first then go from there.

Harley-Davidson: Seen one, heard 'em all...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 09:08 PM
If you have adjusted pre load to compensate for compression harshness,
You are going in the wrong direction.

Call race-tech suspension! You need a softer front and rear spring!

Rebound setting do not dwell much past middle range of clicks.
Less pre load will over compress springs during compression stroke and cause rapid rebound.

To much rebound will stiffen up compression.

Springs support the bike and rider. Clicker settings affect speed of absorbing
energy of spring. Race sag is extremly important! Call a suspension shop.

Good luck!

Desert-racer
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Heya All

1009 thanks for the input.

Race Tech is having a suspension set-up shop here but it is full :-( But I WILL be trying the things mentioned here and putzing around aplenty! I'll update as to how things go.

YES I am getting rid of the catalytic goiter which hopefully will help w/throttle. But I like the stock pipes (1st time for everything) so will leave them. Plus I do NOT anymore like a noisy bike...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 02:48 PM

+1 on being spoiled by twins. My previous rides have all been Ducs, so the I4 throttle is taking some getting used to. It isn't unique to MVs either, because I noticed the same things going from my 749 to the GSXR750 I just acquired, and then the 910S.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode