Super Corsa Pro`s,up To Temperature ? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Super Corsa Pro`s,up To Temperature ?

This probably wont concern you lucky guys/girls from the Southern States,Oz or anywhere else it`s warm at this time of year,but here in Scotland it`s 55deg and no matter how long i take trying to get tyres up to temp before winding things up a bit it never feels like i`m in total control of the rear end,(HAVE HAD 1 OR 2 SQUEAKY MOMENTS),has anyone had the same problem,if so what did you do ? any thoughts on alternative tyres and comparison to super corsa pro`s would be much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatley
This probably wont concern you lucky guys/girls from the Southern States,Oz or anywhere else it`s warm at this time of year,but here in Scotland it`s 55deg and no matter how long i take trying to get tyres up to temp before winding things up a bit it never feels like i`m in total control of the rear end,(HAVE HAD 1 OR 2 SQUEAKY MOMENTS),has anyone had the same problem,if so what did you do ? any thoughts on alternative tyres and comparison to super corsa pro`s would be much appreciated
Yep, I totally agree with you, my 1000S had Pilot Powers and Pilot Power 2CT, the bike NEVER moved, I do the same thing around the same roundabout with my Supercorsa shod 1000R and the back end 'walks' outwards , they are after all 'track tyres'. I will be going from the 120/70+ 190/55 supercorsa's back to a 120/70+190/50 2CT ASAP.

(This reply has not been checked for punctuation, grammar, or spelling mistakes and is devoid of any big long cleverwords or condescending manner)

MV's all gone now, still have a soft spot for MV's, waiting for MV to tick all my boxes again.
Previously (and about 40 others)748SP, S4, S4R, 98R1, 2000 F4, F41000S, F41000R, 08R1, 09R1, S1000RR, RSV4 Factory aPRC in Garage now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 05:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to oicdn Send a message via Yahoo to oicdn
I've read from multiple places that you'll NEVER get a set of street tires up to temp with street riding, atleast up to the point where it's beneficial...unless you're somewhere like deals gap where it's CONSTANTLY on it's side.

I kinda feel the same way, switching from Pilot Sports, to Pilot Powers finally to Pilot Roads, I would say the grip really wasn't any better than the other when STREET riding. I do notice that the rubber is a harder compound, but as far as grippyness goes, I haven't had any sketch moments because of the TIRE.

Nate
Brutale S
Previously CLE #333 (hee hee, it rhymes!)
Buy some clothes:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by altoon
and the HUGE lower triple clamp. that thing is braced like king-kong at at a bondage party.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 11:44 PM

If you like Pirellis, you might check out the Diablo Super Corsas (the 20% tread). They've got a new compound and an improved sidewall that are supposed to be a step forward.

I've ordered a few sets for the upcoming track season. Called the Pirelli USA guys for some advice. They say...

- The operating temperature should be 175 to 215 on the track
- You should leave the tire warmers on all day, at 175
- Pressure (warm) should be F 33/34, R 30

That's a bit warmer than I've usually toasted Pirellis on warmers, but the guys say the new compound operates best just above 175. So, will give it a try in late April in Ohio (undoubtedly cold!). If I stay upright, you'll see a follow-up post with the results. If you see no follow-up post, disregard everything I ever said, and make sure my final wishes get carried out (principally, that someone invites Angelina Jolie to my funeral... and that someone installs hazzard lights and a "Slow, Construction Vehicle" sign on Reopropf's bike).

TC

Last edited by tclinton; 04-10-2007 at 11:48 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot guys,had michelins on my 748r never had a problem,looks like i`ll be going back to them
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 11:19 AM

Dont Jump Ship!

Hey, I had the exact same problem during the summer with my super corsa`s. I amgoing from a 190 55 to a 180 55 Corsa 3 with dual compounds! really excited. I have had no trouble with the front super corsa and don't want to mix brands. I think this combo will be really great for aggressive street driving and track days. I don't have tire warmers so I really can't say much about that.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 11:48 AM

The supercorsa is a trackday/race tire. Unless you're running at track pace and pressure, it won't get up to optimum temp. I'm really not sure why they made these the OEM tire. I'm putting power 2CT's on it ASAP.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oicdn
I've read from multiple places that you'll NEVER get a set of street tires up to temp with street riding, atleast up to the point where it's beneficial...unless you're somewhere like deals gap where it's CONSTANTLY on it's side.
Spot on. Riding race tires on the street, you won't generate enough heat. Just saw a lenghy whitepaper on the distribution of force across the radius of a tire (okay, I was REALLY bored). Anyway, they didn't set out to talk about heat generation, but they found that 80% of heat in tires was generated from one activity. Care to guess?

1) lateral friction (the face of the tire gripping against a surface)
2) sidewall deflection (the sideways bending of the tire in a sharp corner)
3) sidewall compression (squishing the tire down, as if you put a fat guy like Reopropf on your seat)

Turns out it's the last one! I never would have guessed. When you watch cars on the track, they're zipping from side to side on warmup laps (#1). And on bikes, I'd have through it to be a question of getting enough corners in to warm up the tires (#2). But, the study showed that it's compression that counts.

Haven't figured out how to translate this into a practical solution yet, but it seems that the tires would get to temperature under heavy acceleration and heavy braking. Flipping the bike from side to side helps... but not nearly as much as smooshing the tire up and down.

Long story short, then: it's seems unlikely that any form of street riding would put that kind of force on a tire. Sure, I blast around corners on the street, but I can't say I'm hard on the binders like a track day.

Food for thought.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode