Experience so far, and mods done. - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

Question Experience so far, mods done, and ?

I am still a new owner, I purchased about a month ago and am just about at first 1000km.

First issue I had (still have) is the ride quality. I adjusted my suspension to the soft settings but was getting bounced out of the seat and unable to ride the bike much more than 100km before lower back pain.

I adjusted the suspension to full soft all round and min preload but still the ride was firmer than any bike I have owned before and I would be in some lower back discomfort after a short 100km ride so I took the bike to suspension shop thinking it was over sprung.

I had them replace the rear spring and front coils with Ohlins lighter items and upgrade the valves to similar spec to Showa.

First ride home seemed maybe better (hard to tell on freeway) but when I took to the back roads either something happened to rear shock or simply the fix wasnt enough as ride quality seems to have worsened again. I noticed I am unable to adjust the rear high speed damping screw any longer (was ok but now will not budge in either direction) so wonder if the shock has a problem.

At the same time I had a fuel leak from one of the connectors under the tank - no doubt from the suspension shop and fuel leaked everywhere but I am sure there has also been liquid leak from around where the shock low and high speed adjustment screws are as well but the fuel washed over everything so now not sure.

So I limped home, replaced the o-ring as suggested on the FAQ and now the connector seems ok, no leaks today.

Today I used a Air Hawk seat cushion (see pic) which is my touring item, not something I've had a need for before on day trips - but this has helped - however basically I was at my limit at the end of a 300km ride today and had a sore bum despite everything I had in place and taking double the rest stops I would normally.

I also installed a set of Motivation bar ends (see pic) and these have helped a little bit with the buzzing but really have to keep the revs very low or the buzz comes right back. I think Gel or Foam grips would assist further.

I will ring the suspension shop to see about the high speed damping adjustment however if the shock is working ok then I'm unsure what else to do.

Feeling a bit down at the moment - not sure why the ride so firm despite everything I have done - is it the design of the rear suspension? I notice it is set up a bit different to normal suspensions with pivot action arangement?
Attached Images

Last edited by Iron Chef; 04-09-2007 at 06:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 07:48 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
If you want to feel a firm ride, hop on a 1098. My Brutale is quite soft comparitively. I assume you bought the bike new, did you have the shop you bought it at dial in the suspension for you?

CAG
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 08:00 AM
Established Member

don't assume that because it's not a plush ride it's too hard. i would have tried winding the adjusters in to increase damping - i've seen it help bikes in the past. if you have no damping it'll let the springs bounce you around, which can easily feel like too hard. even spring preload being wrong can exagerate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 09:32 AM

Send a message via AIM to oicdn Send a message via Yahoo to oicdn
The Brutale is VERY stiff in comparison to most rides out there. Even in it's softest setting, it's still STIFF.

I would get the rear shock checked out, but the bike is definitly stiffer than most I've hopped on with or without race suspension. You might just have to opt for a different more forgiving shock.

Nate
Brutale S
Previously CLE #333 (hee hee, it rhymes!)
Buy some clothes:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by altoon
and the HUGE lower triple clamp. that thing is braced like king-kong at at a bondage party.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 10:00 AM

I agree with the bike being stiffer than most. Mine is definitely better now with 2000 miles on the clock compared to before. Keep the abs and lower back strong. That ALWAYS helps
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 12:38 PM

The 750 Brutale I recently bought, has extremely stiff suspension. It is great on handling the curves as the bike is very nicely planted in these conditions, but on the freeway ride particularly on all uneven surfaces is almost unbearable, even my eyeballs are hoping up and down to the point that my vision is blurred.

My 749R, whose suspension I tuned for track use, has a much more plush ride on the freeway with just a few clicks of compression and rebound. I am still playing around with the Brutale's settings though, and hope to find a happy medium at some point.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 12:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to oicdn Send a message via Yahoo to oicdn
I drive mine daily, so I set everythng per the manual to the softest setting....it's definitly alot better. It's still very aggressive, but MUCH MUCH softer than it was before. Well, compliant I should say, because it's still responsive as heck.

Nate
Brutale S
Previously CLE #333 (hee hee, it rhymes!)
Buy some clothes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by altoon
and the HUGE lower triple clamp. that thing is braced like king-kong at at a bondage party.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 06:11 PM

Where is Kitchen Stadium? Interesting name....
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 07:04 PM

Nice Pantah...
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 07:33 PM

In a time like this I always do the same thing and it never fails to make everything better. I get on my bike strap my helmet on extra tite a drive fast enough to leave any pain in this life behind, along with the part of me that ever gave a #@$%. Can I get a amen......................Cowboy Up...............PILLAR
Ps I had a rough day and thats the only thing that ever helps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode